Daiwa Steez 103HL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez 103HL

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 pm

BTW , there are TWO G1 spool in the for sale section, and he's asking a superb price in my opinion. I paid more than what he's asking for and for only one. Just FYI.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:48 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 pm
Yes the Brent ehrler rod.
I had that rod and I sold it HOWEVER initially I wasn't getting what I knew my reel was capable of.
The reel is an SS SV with 7.9:1 gears tuned by Ian and I had a MB honeycomb spool in it. When i put a G1 spool in it I was like wow.
The taper of that rod is odd to me which is why I sold it. Good rod no doubt but takes some getting used to and the reel HAS to be set up right. I can attest to this from my personal experience and I have some pics to. I ended up throwing 3/8 riot bait mini jig on it in deep water, wacky rig fishing with it and I did do some jerk bait fishing with it. If i had to do it over from the start, I would just have gone with a G1 spool.. That spool on a brake setting of 3.0-3.5 in my experience, delivers.. Good Luck
The ss sv would be similar to the steez 103h? Also the regular g1 or g1 sv?

Thanks. I haven't fished the rod yet but bought it on impulse to try the ags guides and read a lot of good stuff about it both here and bassresource. We'll see.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:52 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 pm
BTW , there are TWO G1 spool in the for sale section, and he's asking a superb price in my opinion. I paid more than what he's asking for and for only one. Just FYI.
Right, I've been talking to him but they are for a steez A and I'm not sure how they will work. I've seen some issues with them not fitting in reels. I think it has a fixed inductor.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:01 pm

I've got a steez 1016sv g1 on the way to try out thanks to hogsticker2 and his friend. I just realized my brother has a steez A so I can at least try that out and see if it works. Also the more ive been reading about the 103 spool the more I want to use it. Also read a lot of people liked the 1000sv spool in the steez. So anyway I've got some playing around to do.

Now I just need to get a carbon fiber handle and cork knobs

Thanks everyone

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:46 am

Just wanted to update. I used the steez sv tw spool in the reel and it worked very well with a 1/8 oz jighead with a 5 inch rubber worm with 10lb fluorocarbon on a 7' M-MH rod.

I ended up finding a decent deal on a Steez SV TW though and sold the 103hl.

Thanks for all the help