parts for a daiwa td z/ito

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

parts for a daiwa td z/ito

Post by j2015 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 am

Hello,

I am going to put a swept handle on a Daiwa TD Z (ito) and noticed that there are a few washers missing. These keep the handle from hitting the drag star when the drag is loosened. One is flats and one is rounded and kind of fits into the drag star.

Anyone know where I can purchase these?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: parts for a daiwa td z/ito

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 pm

You cant put a swept handle on a factory TDZ star, you will need to swap the star to a swept star as well.
<")))><{

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 pm
You cant put a swept handle on a factory TDZ star, you will need to swap the star to a swept star as well.
Yeah. You don't need washers for clearance between the straight drag star and swept handle. You need a swept drag star. Make sure you also acquire the appropriate handle collar for whichever drag star you choose. The Tackletrap is a great place to source Daiwa parts.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 am

I have a swept star, I need the 2 washers that go in between the star and the handle.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:53 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Yeah. You don't need washers for clearance between the straight drag star and swept handle. You need a swept drag star. Make sure you also acquire the appropriate handle collar for whichever drag star you choose. The Tackletrap is a great place to source Daiwa parts.
Thanks
I got the star from them. Is the handle collar the concave washer that kind of sits in the drag star in between the handle, if so that’s the one I’m looking for

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 am

Correct, the handle collar is the cup washer that hides the crank shaft by recessing down into the drag star. The crank shaft is milled so that this collar stops at a certain point and then becomes the handle seat. Then the handle sits against it and snugs to it when the handle nut is tightened. There is a thick collar and a thin collar. The thin one(for the PX-R) will give you more thread for the handle nut to grab. While that's no big deal on a reel with a brass crank shaft, the TDZ shaft is aluminum and will strip if you arent careful. Go ahead, ask me how I now..... :oops:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 am
Correct, that cup washer just hides the crank shaft by recessing down into the drag star. The crank shaft is milled so that this washer stops at a certain point and then becomes handle seat. Then the handle sits against it and snugs to it when the handle nut is tightened.
thank you, that is the one I need most

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
It can work with a swep handle and a non swept star drag if the handle is long. The straight portion of the handle (the middle part) needs to be long enough to have the clearance for the star drag arms. If the handle isn't long enough, the straight arms of the star drag will rub agaisnt the swept section of the handle.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Tackle trap is sold out, if anyone has one please let me know