Daiwa 2019 Morethan TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa 2019 Morethan TW

Post by jrk » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

I had asked for any recent updates on how this reel is working out for those that have bought and have been using in the main Morethan thread a few weeks back but no replies, so I thought I'd put this as a new post.

I'm interested in learning a bit more about this reel, and how it stacks up against Daiwa's other offerings.
Is this considered D's top of the line...ie, a little nicer than the US Steez offerings?
Sounds like some believe that the new Morethan is very similar to the Steez A. For those that have fished both, I'm interested in hearing from anyone that can confirm whether or not the line lay on the Morethan is different in that the line level is faster across the spool than that of the Steez A...in theory, leading to more efficient casting.

Appreciate the input and education before a potential purchase.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa 2019 Morethan TW

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:04 pm

jrk wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am
I had asked for any recent updates on how this reel is working out for those that have bought and have been using in the main Morethan thread a few weeks back but no replies, so I thought I'd put this as a new post.

I'm interested in learning a bit more about this reel, and how it stacks up against Daiwa's other offerings.
Is this considered D's top of the line...ie, a little nicer than the US Steez offerings?
Sounds like some believe that the new Morethan is very similar to the Steez A. For those that have fished both, I'm interested in hearing from anyone that can confirm whether or not the line lay on the Morethan is different in that the line level is faster across the spool than that of the Steez A...in theory, leading to more efficient casting.

Appreciate the input and education before a potential purchase.
I would say that the morethan PE is more of a lateral move against the non-ct steez tw variants rather than above or below. I do not own an A to compare against, but I do have an 8.1 slp steez sv tw. I have not noticed a difference in casting efficiently based on line lay between the two. I have not paid attention to that, but I don’t think it would be sufficiently great to discern. I may be wrong. It’s a lot more solid feeling reel than the magnesium steez given the all aluminium construction and you won’t find any glaring plastic on the morethan. Even a fantastic feeling aluminium drag star. The 8.6 morethan actually feels somehow more smooth than my steez sv tw, if that’s even possible.

As far as my thinking prior to purchase. I did not early adopt the A. Early reports that some guys felt the need to swap out the A spool with something else bothered me. I now realise after more reports came out that it would likely not have been an issue for me because I tend to throw heavier baits. But who knows? Also, I know that I dislike the knobs on the A and I did not think enough of the A to buy it with the intent of immediately upgrading knobs and bearings, possibly spool. I mainly fish spinning gear in salt so those parts were not going to serve a salt purpose for me. By the time I would have gotten the A the way I want it, I’m getting closer to morethan price, but without the pretty face. I have found no need to swap out the PE spool; it’s been perfect for my needs. Finally, the morethan was a perfect cosmetic match for a couple of my rods. So my enthusiast side drove that decision as much or more than performance driven side. Don’t know if this helps at all.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 pm

+1 from above.

Only issue that I have with mine 8.6 is that the paint already chips (andI have not scratched the reel).

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:35 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 pm
+1 from above. Only issue that I have with mine 8.6 is that the paint already chips (andI have not scratched the reel).
Ouch...that is surprising. Maybe a one off...
As the proud owner of a 20 month old OG Morethan, I am happy to report it does not have that problem. It is one of the better finishes I have seen on a reel. Reviewing the Y-JP auction site, even the used and abused ones look pretty damn good. (There is a steal on there for $160 right now).

Back to the new Morethan.... The TWS is what is advertised as giving increased distance (compared to non-TWS)

As you were wondering, here is the primary purpose of the quicker level wind:

"This Morethan PE TW also has another feature for level winder – called High Speed Level Winder.
This system is, as of the name, the level winder moves faster than others when reeling.
When you use braided line, because lines are quite thin than other type of lines, sometimes line gets into spools, especially after you fight with bigger fish. By this high speed level winder the line is winded crossing lines, and it refuses line comes in too deep, so the line can come out with no stress."

My guess is that If you are spooled with PE 1 throwing a 30 gram lure 70 yards and fighting a heavy fish that takes drag, there will be a noticable difference on the next cast.
PE 2.5 to 3 throwing a chatterbait and fighting a bass, not so much

With all that said, I picked up a Steez A via trade a while back and it has become one of my favorite reels. I am a big fan of the Magseal even in non-salt environments. I think it has a feel to it compared to a non Magseal. (which could be my imiagination) Like Polkfish, I might have been dissapointed with it if I had to buy knobs and a replacement spool to throw on it. Fortunatly, I had some gooddies laying around.
If your going to go the Steez A direction there is a near stellar Steez A with KTF NEO spool and CT SV handle and knobs for a reasonable price on Y-JP right now.

Good luck Sir, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the reels.