Squeal during hard cast

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Squeal during hard cast

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 am

Allow me to preface this with a description of what reel I'm talking about. I'm using my TD-S 103HVA. The last 2 short outings, maybe 2 hours total, when I make a hard cast, the reel squeals. I already oiled the brake drum with a light film of oil, but I'm curious if the bearings could be the issue or something else.
Andy

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Squeal during hard cast

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 am

Grease the spool shaft ends.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:40 am

Check spool pin alignment. If they move off to the side, they can rub the frame and scream when casting.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:40 am
Check spool pin alignment. If they move off to the side, they can rub the frame and scream when casting.
I assume you're speaking of the pin just past the bearing, but shouldn't tension on those be sufficient to hold it in place?
poisonokie wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 am
Grease the spool shaft ends.
Grease or oil?
Andy

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:52 am

Just a dab of light grease.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:09 am

Drew03cmc wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 am

I assume you're speaking of the pin just past the bearing, but shouldn't tension on those be sufficient to hold it in place?
Yes, and no. I see this all the time in the shop. Just had one this week. Kind of funny the tech was going nuts looking for the problem and kept looking at the reel. After some time and increased frustration the tech finally decided to ask around to the other techs. I noted the problem only happened when in free spool cast mode and spool spun fast. Noise appeared. It was directly related to just one part- a free spinning spool, and not the reel mech.

I immediately pulled the spool out and checked. Sure enough, offset pin. Realign. Problem solved.

Keep in mind, that this pin is hit with engagement into the pinion with every cast. There is enough energy that over time, it can be moved to an offset position and rub on the frame of some reel designs. The frame actually stops the progression of movement as it hits the frame and stops right there, so the pin does not fall out. It remains in the offset position until someone notices and corrects it.

And if it did it once, it can happen again. Maybe try a different pin if this happens. Simply realigning may take care of the immediate problem, but it can happen again.

The look on the face of the tech who missed it was priceless!
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 am

It could very well be a bearing as well. As the bearing wears and tolerances open up. it will get more noisy especially when loaded with a heavy cast. I like to add a little oil the spool bearings to see if the noise changes, if it does you've found the source.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Well, some oil quieted the bearings, now there's no squeal. I just need to grab 4 sets of new ceramics...any idea what sizes the TDS and TDX take?
Andy

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 pm

I had squealing issue with my Tat SV tried a number of recommended remedies found it to be handle side spool bearing replaced it no more squealing.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:01 pm

had this happen in a pixy. was the spool bearing. remove the side plate and spool bearing, flush them and lube em both. should do the trick.