Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 pm

I was curious, how are they holding up? Are folks still using theirs?

I had a T3 Ballistic for a very short period of time and feel like maybe I didn't give it a chance. For some reason I kinda want to get a 1016 or 1016 MX, but not sure it's worth it considering the reels that are available today.

Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:27 pm

I also feel this way... been looking for a reel, dunno if I want the Bantam or another Daiwa.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by SSS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:42 pm

For how cheap they go for, there's no reason not to own one. From the cheapo versions (ballistic, original t3, t3 sv and MX), the MX with the RCS1016 spool is my favorite. But the FX series from MG and the Mago from Gancraft are nocticeably smoother

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 am
Location: Jessup, MD

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Got an MX with a 1016 spool and that thing flat out throws! I couldn't believe how crazy a caster that is. Picked up a BNIB ballistic for $100 because I loved the MX so much. I've only taken it out a few times. After taking them both apart, cleaning, upgrading, etc., I will say the MX tolerances are much tighter.@Africanbass is the man when it comes to T3. Reading all his comments on the MX is why I got one. Would love to try a FX, and I think a Mago would be too pretty to throw. :D

Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am

How does the sv compars to the mx?

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Moosehead » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:06 am

I think all total I have four T3 ballistics. They all have upgraded bearings and spools. I fish with them a lot and really enjoy them...I will continue to pick them up whenever I see a cheap one in good shape.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:34 am
Location: WI's west coast

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Love my MX and it's been rock solid.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:43 am
How does the sv compars to the mx?
SV spools typically offer greater control. Non SV 1016 spools are great for long casting heavy - ish baits. You can throw lighter weights with an SV spool in general. Aside from the spools and cosmetics, the MX and FX73 (SV) are the same.

Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Are the internals the same

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1843
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm still considering getting a T3 for a DIY BFS spool I bought, what should I expect to pay for each model???

Ballistic? Not sure it even has a free floating spool, know they aren't considered very "refined", someone mentioned riveted knobs, not my highest interest.
1016 (Silver one)? Seems to be a good fit, but they go for higher than I thought.
MX? Don't know much about this one, looks good though.
SV? Get an extra orange SV spool, and I could use it for multipurpose in case the BFS rod breaks.

And are there other variants? I have seen the MB and RAGO versions, but they aren't necessary for my purposes...

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 am
Location: Jessup, MD

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:34 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm still considering getting a T3 for a DIY BFS spool I bought, what should I expect to pay for each model???

Ballistic? Not sure it even has a free floating spool, know they aren't considered very "refined", someone mentioned riveted knobs, not my highest interest.
1016 (Silver one)? Seems to be a good fit, but they go for higher than I thought.
MX? Don't know much about this one, looks good though.
SV? Get an extra orange SV spool, and I could use it for multipurpose in case the BFS rod breaks.

And are there other variants? I have seen the MB and RAGO versions, but they aren't necessary for my purposes...
I bought the MX used but in great condition on ebay for about $130. Bought the Ballistic BNIB for $100, although I see them sold used close to $200 and new for over 2 bills. I would not get one at anywhere near that price.
Ballistic has a free floating spool. It's not as refined as the MX. Yes the handle knobs are riveted.

I would highly suggest searching and going through all the T3 threads here. You'll find a lot of good information on the other questions you're asking and AfricanBass is very knowledgeable.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:13 pm
Are the internals the same
Yes

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm still considering getting a T3 for a DIY BFS spool I bought, what should I expect to pay for each model???

Ballistic? Not sure it even has a free floating spool, know they aren't considered very "refined", someone mentioned riveted knobs, not my highest interest.
1016 (Silver one)? Seems to be a good fit, but they go for higher than I thought.
MX? Don't know much about this one, looks good though.
SV? Get an extra orange SV spool, and I could use it for multipurpose in case the BFS rod breaks.

And are there other variants? I have seen the MB and RAGO versions, but they aren't necessary for my purposes...
1016 and MX - You shouldn't pay more than 135ish for a used one. SV version, 160ish (used). FX versions are still over priced imo. 210ish seems okay

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1843
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm still considering getting a T3 for a DIY BFS spool I bought, what should I expect to pay for each model???

Ballistic? Not sure it even has a free floating spool, know they aren't considered very "refined", someone mentioned riveted knobs, not my highest interest.
1016 (Silver one)? Seems to be a good fit, but they go for higher than I thought.
MX? Don't know much about this one, looks good though.
SV? Get an extra orange SV spool, and I could use it for multipurpose in case the BFS rod breaks.

And are there other variants? I have seen the MB and RAGO versions, but they aren't necessary for my purposes...
1016 and MX - You shouldn't pay more than 135ish for a used one. SV version, 160ish (used). FX versions are still over priced imo. 210ish seems okay
You see my dilemma then, I could just use my Zillion, and save $150 or so more for another Steez A. Or do the same and sell an old rod/spinning reel to save for the Steez CT. Just hate to spend too much on a budget BFS knowing I might potentially buy a nicer one piece BFS rod and true BFS reel coming up. Wish I had tried that new fixed inductor BFS for the Tatula CT that only weighs around 6 grams or so.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6146
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Daiwa T3 1016 Reels today...

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm still considering getting a T3 for a DIY BFS spool I bought, what should I expect to pay for each model???

Ballistic? Not sure it even has a free floating spool, know they aren't considered very "refined", someone mentioned riveted knobs, not my highest interest.
1016 (Silver one)? Seems to be a good fit, but they go for higher than I thought.
MX? Don't know much about this one, looks good though.
SV? Get an extra orange SV spool, and I could use it for multipurpose in case the BFS rod breaks.

And are there other variants? I have seen the MB and RAGO versions, but they aren't necessary for my purposes...
1016 and MX - You shouldn't pay more than 135ish for a used one. SV version, 160ish (used). FX versions are still over priced imo. 210ish seems okay
You see my dilemma then, I could just use my Zillion, and save $150 or so more for another Steez A. Or do the same and sell an old rod/spinning reel to save for the Steez CT. Just hate to spend too much on a budget BFS knowing I might potentially buy a nicer one piece BFS rod and true BFS reel coming up. Wish I had tried that new fixed inductor BFS for the Tatula CT that only weighs around 6 grams or so.
It's always a dilemma. Though that 3D braking can come in handy, especially for finesse work.

Post Reply