Suggestion for my TDX

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Suggestion for my TDX

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am

I'm looking for a spinnerbait/chatterbait reel right now and was curious if my OG TDX would likely work for what I'm needing as I haven't been able to secure a trade for a newer Daiwa 6.3 yet. It's well worn on the edges, but works flawlessly. I would spool some 15# copoly on it and drop it on my Dark Angel MH. Would any of you have reservations doing something like this or should I hold out for a newer Daiwa CT 6.3? I'm spitballing here as the rod is perfect for what I want, tossed a Slingbladez 3/8oz yesterday and caught 4, but the 8.1 didn't have the balls to crank the bait hard. Shoot me some suggestions.
Andy

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Suggestion for my TDX

Post by njbasscat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:54 am

I would have no problem with the TDX. It's a great workhorse reel and would be fine for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. If anything, put a 4 bearing handle on it, upgrade to Carbontex drag washers, and your good to go.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Suggestion for my TDX

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am

njbasscat wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:54 am
I would have no problem with the TDX. It's a great workhorse reel and would be fine for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. If anything, put a 4 bearing handle on it, upgrade to Carbontex drag washers, and your good to go.
I may have to try this then. The 8.1 just doesn't offer the torque I want for these baits. They're really awesome reels and the larger profile doesn't hurt me much. I learned on round Abus and Calcuttas.
Andy