Reels Over Rated Or Under Rated

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reels Over Rated Or Under Rated

Post by Somerdink » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 pm

I know someone started a thread on this topic about rods, but me personally have found more reels to under preform more so then the rods. I have multiples that i found that haven’t performed to there price points and some that preformed over there price point. I’m not bashing any of these brands by any means because they all make and amazing product. The Lews Hyper Mag has to be my biggest disappointment to me and it’s in the same price range as a Curado DC. After one month of use it stared to grind and squeal tore it down cleaned and greased an oiled what need to be down and still grinds and squeals. But the Lews speed spool is good at the $99 dollar mark and the SLX is my favourite in the $100 mark up grade the bearings and best low end reel on the market

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reels Over Rated Or Under Rated

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:31 pm

I was hoping to see more out of the DC actually ($450 AUD)... Quiet over braked for casting 5 / 8 grams... Even on setting #1 its no longer than a simple cast than with the K and both are setup exactly the same...

Im keeping it within regards to use but there is certainly more effort in the casting than with a conventional non DC reel.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:07 pm

I bought a Saex Elite baitcaster second-hand for next to nothing and have been pleasantly surprised. They are like $60 new on Aliexpress and are identically the same as the current Ardent reels. I have used it for a frog reel and for big swim jigs with 50# braid this year. So far, the reel has performed surprisingly well. The drag pays out smoothly and the gearing is still very smooth. On top of that, the reel is actually nice-looking. If it lasts just this season, it will be well worth the $60-something dollar entry fee for a new one. For what I paid, the reel is pretty much disposable lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Underrated by general anglers would have to be the sv103, that's awful close to perfection to me and the fuego ct, hard to beat for the money. I find most Lew's reels to be overrated.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:55 pm

I thought the Steez was overrated. That said I have 3 of them. They are lightweight, take 103/1016 spools, come in fast ratios ect but they commaned a hefty price when new and the hype about the smoothness and refinement of the reels didn't pan out for me. They are about as smooth and refined as my Alphas. Alphas with brass gears feel great but the Steez was put on a sky high pedestal for smoothness and refinement. If Alphas could take 103 spools I doubt I would have bought my Steez reels.

I used to think TD-Zs were overrated due to all the hype about them over the years here but that has all died down and now I feel like they are sort of underrated now.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:00 pm

I say the SV Light. I can't believe that reel doesn't get more love. It puts a smile on my face every time. Also, the Alphas Air. That is one smooth, solid performer. I was skipping 1/32 ned rigs today with that reel without a single issue (that wasn't completely my fault.)

As far as overrated reels go, I don't know if there really are that many. Like someone pointed out in the rod thread, people usually sound the alarm.

And just to get this out there now, someone will inevitably remark that anything with a T-wing is overrated, and while I see where you are coming from, I wholeheartedly disagree. They don't need to shoe-horn one into everything, but there's no denying their benefits when implemented in the right platform. Specifically the Zillion SV.
This is the way.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:42 am

Pretty much any Pflueger baitcast reel is underrated. Love my Pinnacle Primmus. What?, you say. :doh:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:04 am

Over rated - SS SV Feels like a plastic toy, has a very weak drag, and is over braked
Under rated - SV 103 - Its an og Zillion with lots of spool options. Smooth and powerful. I love them stock.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 am

Daiwa 15 Zillion TW 1516, under rated. It's a tank. It might be less refined than the 1016 but it's a tank.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 am

Shimano Symetre 2000FH. Way under-rated reel if you can find them... The last one I bought off ebay for $12.00.

Insides are the same as a Stradic! Part for part! Even the gears... everything. So when I want another stradic, rather than fight the bidders running up the prices on those, I can grab one of these cheap and fast and be happy because no one wants it but me.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 am

To me, Shimano DC reels are over rated. The $100 reels that have been flooding the market are under rated. Some of them things can really be transformed if you know what you are doing. (Fuego, SLX, Speed Spool.)
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:16 am

njbasscat wrote:Over rated - SS SV Feels like a plastic toy, has a very weak drag, and is over braked
Under rated - SV 103 - Its an og Zillion with lots of spool options. Smooth and powerful. I love them stock.
I agree with your assessment of the SS SV but it is pretty much hated and not recommend as a purchase. While it is not impressive is stock form I could make the argument that this makes the reel underrated. Its still the old Steez platform and it does come in a wide range of ratios. The stock metallic paint and black allen head frame screws give it slick look. If a guy has enough parts laying around then reel could be a good purchase given how cheap they can be had. You can pick one up for a little over $200 minty fresh with box, drop in a 103 or 1016 spool, 90m handle, a drag upgrade and you are good to go.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 pm

LowRange wrote:
njbasscat wrote:Over rated - SS SV Feels like a plastic toy, has a very weak drag, and is over braked
I agree with your assessment of the SS SV but it is pretty much hated and not recommend as a purchase. While it is not impressive is stock form I could make the argument that this makes the reel underrated. Its still the old Steez platform and it does come in a wide range of ratios. The stock metallic paint and black allen head frame screws give it slick look. If a guy has enough parts laying around then reel could be a good purchase given how cheap they can be had. You can pick one up for a little over $200 minty fresh with box, drop in a 103 or 1016 spool, 90m handle, a drag upgrade and you are good to go.
I gotta defend this one too. They're inexpensive and even if you use them bone stock they're still good reels IF you use them for close quarters mag finesse type stuff. Think short, ML rod and 15# braid. I added a zaion drag star and SLP 105 spool to mine, and yeah it's better now, but personally I was never disappointed in its performance.
This is the way.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 am

Everything is over rated.. :big grin:

Hype is free air. :lol:

Why do I keep buying Stradics? I buy my own hype. =D>
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 am

slipperybob wrote:Everything is over rated.. :big grin:

Hype is free air. :lol:

Why do I keep buying Stradics? I buy my own hype. =D>
Excellent comment! Very true too! However, that said... when it comes to stradics... as a bench tech myself on them... the only stradics I choose to use today are FG, FH, FI,FJ. That's it. Anything newer and I am not not fond of the "new" drag mech and won't use it based on what I have seen come across the bench.

If I were to use newer stradics I'd have to yank it and modify into the spools an older type of drag washer setup. So to me, the newer stradics are hot air hyped while the older stradics are now becoming under rated and I like it that way.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?