Is Zillion SV worth cost over Tatula SV?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is Zillion SV worth cost over Tatula SV?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:10 pm

johnD wrote:I don't know about the slp. I got a new 7.3 sv tat in the mail today , it doesn't feel near as smooth as the one I already have. Feels like a crappy pinion bearing or anti reverse bearing. That's how my luck rolls , I guess..
I took the side plate off removed what little grease there was , re-lubed the main gear with zpi medium. Gonna take it down to the lake in the morning and throw a big bladed spinner bait , see if it loosens up some.
Greasing the gears can make a world of difference.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Anybody know if you can drop an SLP Steez 105 SV spool in a Zillion SV?
Yes. As long as it's the Zillion that accepts the 34mm spool.
It is. I just don't know if I need to change the bearing or something. I want (but don't need) a purple spool. Might as well be shallow and 2 grams lighter than stock.

I just tested mine and it's exactly the same. You don't even have to touch the spool tension. Makes me wonder if the RCS 1012 that Hedgehog lists as compatible with the Zillion would work at all. I know the RCS 1000 uses an 11×5 bearing, meaning it has a 5mm shaft while the Steez and Zillion uses a 10×3+bearing cage because they have a 3mm shaft. I thought the 1012 and 1000 SV spools were identical aside from color, but maybe not.

The 1012 would probably be a better distance caster than the 105 and it's $30 cheaper, but I'd hate to discover the shaft won't seat inside the pinion or something...

Edit: I just tested the RCS 1016 out of my T3 and it fits, too. Just needs the spool tension tightened down. Which begs the question why they use different spool shaft thicknesses at all... Sorry to waste your time when I could have just checked myself first. Never know when someone on here will know something off the wall that I've never heard about.
This is the way.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 pm

poisonokie wrote:
johnD wrote:I don't know about the slp. I got a new 7.3 sv tat in the mail today , it doesn't feel near as smooth as the one I already have. Feels like a crappy pinion bearing or anti reverse bearing. That's how my luck rolls , I guess..
I took the side plate off removed what little grease there was , re-lubed the main gear with zpi medium. Gonna take it down to the lake in the morning and throw a big bladed spinner bait , see if it loosens up some.
Yeah I did , with zpi medium grease. If it's no better after a little bit tomorrow I'm just gonna return it , maybe they can fix it.
I have fuego ct's that are by far quieter and smoother than this sv.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:05 pm

johnD wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Yeah I did , with zpi medium grease. If it's no better after a little bit tomorrow I'm just gonna return it , maybe they can fix it.
I have fuego ct's that are by far quieter and smoother than this sv.
Sounds like a good idea. With as many of these things as they sell, a few are bound to have problems. I'd think if grease was the issue you'd know by now just from turning the handle a few times. Sometimes it helps to put a little inward and outward pressure on the handle while turning it to help coat the entire surfaces of all the teeth.
This is the way.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:20 pm

I would say you got a lemon. Mine is pretty damn smooth and refined with no gear noise and it’s a 8:1. It’s not Steez smooth but it’s really smooth

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:36 am

i bought a 7:3 ratio to try out and its fairly smooth and when i first got the reel the first few cast came off noisy. After a while though its fine and not as noisy when i first purchased the reel. id say you got a lemon out of the batch

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 am

Yeah , I went ahead and mailed it back to them yesterday.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Got my tat sv back from Tackle Trap today. Smooth as glass. 8-)

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:30 am

The Zillion has a larger, nicer spool tension knob. That’s not enough for me, having owned both I sold the Zillion SV and have a pair of Tatula SV’s

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:57 pm

johnD wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm
I don't know about the slp. I got a new 7.3 sv tat in the mail today , it doesn't feel near as smooth as the one I already have. Feels like a crappy pinion bearing or anti reverse bearing. That's how my luck rolls , I guess..
One of my slp tatula's I received from digitaka is rough. The other one that came at the same time is super smooth. Feels like the pinion. I figure if it doesnt get better or bothers me I'll just replace it. I dont have enough time with them to compare them to my zillions.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 am

My tatula sv is smooth, my type r is not nearly so but I blame that on redfish vs 8.1 gears.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:57 pm
johnD wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm
I don't know about the slp. I got a new 7.3 sv tat in the mail today , it doesn't feel near as smooth as the one I already have. Feels like a crappy pinion bearing or anti reverse bearing. That's how my luck rolls , I guess..
One of my slp tatula's I received from digitaka is rough. The other one that came at the same time is super smooth. Feels like the pinion. I figure if it doesnt get better or bothers me I'll just replace it. I dont have enough time with them to compare them to my zillions.
Send it to the Tackle Trap , seriously. I do the maintenance on my own reels but , I don't do any polishing. I'm gonna send them one to get the guts polished.