Is Zillion SV worth cost over Tatula SV?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Is Zillion SV worth cost over Tatula SV?

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am

Can't believe I'm asking this lol. The old Tatula I used, of my buddies felt pretty unrefined, but I finally took the plunge and bought one of the Tatula SV TW's, late to the party I know lol. I had TackleTrap throw in some ZPI spool bearings and add two bearing to the levelwind and wow I am shocked at how smooth and refined this thing feels :shock: =D> I took it out and fished some really cold windy conditions yesterday and to my surprise it blew me away. I was able to cast into the wind with the mag brake on a meager 6...and I mean directly into a 20 mile an hour wind. And unlike my Metanium XG, which was way more $$, the 8:1 gears in it feel buttery smooth and refined. It completely blows the metanium out of the water in my hands and is perfect palming size for someone with average sized hands. In fact if you blindfolded me I would think it was a $350 reel. So it leads me to this is the Zillion SV TW any better? I know about the free floating spool, but can you guys tell the difference on the water? Thanks! And thanks Tackle Trap I love this thing.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is Zillion SV worth cost over Tatula SV?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 am

Yes, especially since they're on sale. There are several reasons why I think so, but if nothing else you get that spool.

I just sold a 1st gen Tatula that still felt as solid, smooth, powerful, and easy casting as the day I got it. I may have upgraded the levelwind bearings, but I don't remember. It was a really good performer, I just wasn't using it anymore.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 am

You are gonna get opinions on this, so Ill give mine. I didnt feel a big enough difference in the Zillion SV compared to the Tatula SV, so I sold the Zillion SV. I kept looking at it and thinking, its all in the spool. Performance wise, I would just save the money and get the Tatula SV if I had to do it again. When I think Zillion, I think "TD", and the new SV model didnt give me that "feel". To me, the Tatula felt more "solid" in the hand than the Zillion did. Sure, you get a dual supported pinion gear, but of all the years and reels Ive been using, I have never had an issue with a reel that didnt have a dual supported pinion. Hell, I like the SLX better than the Curado K, and have made quite a beast out of one. So there is that....
<")))><{

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:29 pm

I also thought the Tatula felt more refined and solid, but I never owned the Zillion SV just played with them in the store and tried my buddies last year. I don’t have one for comparison sake but I couldn’t imagine how much other than the spool would be different. I’ll probably end up with one anyway.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm very happy you're impressed with the Tatula SV TW! Thank you for the purchase and giving us the opportunity to tweak it up a bit before delivery! I'm a fan of the Zillion SV TW myself, as much as I enjoy the Tatula SV TW, the Zillion SV TW gets the nod from me out of the box, before upgrades. The ZPI M or PG spool that's presently available, WITH the ZPI bearings ready to install is a genius upgrade over an already fantastic reel right out of the box. Considering deal we have going on Tatula SV right now, it's hard to beat at its price point with the TT10 discount however...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 pm

bronzefly wrote:I'm very happy you're impressed with the Tatula SV TW! Thank you for the purchase and giving us the opportunity to tweak it up a bit before delivery! I'm a fan of the Zillion SV TW myself, as much as I enjoy the Tatula SV TW, the Zillion SV TW gets the nod from me out of the box, before upgrades. The ZPI M or PG spool that's presently available, WITH the ZPI bearings ready to install is a genius upgrade over an already fantastic reel right out of the box. Considering deal we have going on Tatula SV right now, it's hard to beat at its price point with the TT10 discount however...
You guys have a deal on the Zillion too! I was just surprised this is the first time I’ve bought a sub $300 class reel and been so impressed. I’ll probably have a Zillion by summer for my other jig rod.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Samuel_b wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I'm very happy you're impressed with the Tatula SV TW! Thank you for the purchase and giving us the opportunity to tweak it up a bit before delivery! I'm a fan of the Zillion SV TW myself, as much as I enjoy the Tatula SV TW, the Zillion SV TW gets the nod from me out of the box, before upgrades. The ZPI M or PG spool that's presently available, WITH the ZPI bearings ready to install is a genius upgrade over an already fantastic reel right out of the box. Considering deal we have going on Tatula SV right now, it's hard to beat at its price point with the TT10 discount however...
You guys have a deal on the Zillion too! I was just surprised this is the first time I’ve bought a sub $300 class reel and been so impressed. I’ll probably have a Zillion by summer for my other jig rod.
Skipping with it will blow your freakin' mind, especially with something like tubes. I defy you to backlash at all skipping a tube with a Zillion SV. Though the same may well be true of that Tatula. They are nice reels for the money. Killer paint job and parts, too.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:53 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Samuel_b wrote:
Skipping with it will blow your freakin' mind, especially with something like tubes. I defy you to backlash at all skipping a tube with a Zillion SV. Though the same may well be true of that Tatula. They are nice reels for the money. Killer paint job and parts, too.
This, it was the first reel I ever used and immediately knew I needed another. To be honest, for the JDM price I got I would go with the Steez A, but then again, I got my 2 Zillion SV TW's for under $500 when they were new. If they do upgrade the Zillion SV TW, the spool will more than likely stay. I could see Daiwa using the Steez A/Tatula 100 shape as a base, adding the "zero" adjuster, etc., but the casting profile of the Zillion SV TW for a sub $300 reel will be hard to top.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:07 am

Has anybody noticed a difference in smoothness between the 7:3 and 8:1 Tatula SV ? I read some preferred the lower gear ratio for long term smoothness ? I've never had a 8:1 Tat SV , thinking about getting one...The TT review said it handled the big gear well.
I have a 7:3 , it's butter.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:53 am

johnD wrote:Has anybody noticed a difference in smoothness between the 7:3 and 8:1 Tatula SV ? I read some preferred the lower gear ratio for long term smoothness ? I've never had a 8:1 Tat SV , thinking about getting one...The TT review said it handled the big gear well.
My 8.1 is not butter. It is smooth for now i. That there is a slight buzz but makes a ton of gear noise.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:15 pm

LowRange wrote:
johnD wrote:Has anybody noticed a difference in smoothness between the 7:3 and 8:1 Tatula SV ? I read some preferred the lower gear ratio for long term smoothness ? I've never had a 8:1 Tat SV , thinking about getting one...The TT review said it handled the big gear well.
My 8.1 is not butter. It is smooth for now i. That there is a slight buzz but makes a ton of gear noise.
Thanks for the heads up , LR.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 am

Do the discounts mean new models coming later this year (iCast)?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Anybody know if you can drop an SLP Steez 105 SV spool in a Zillion SV?
This is the way.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm

I don't know about the slp. I got a new 7.3 sv tat in the mail today , it doesn't feel near as smooth as the one I already have. Feels like a crappy pinion bearing or anti reverse bearing. That's how my luck rolls , I guess..
I took the side plate off removed what little grease there was , re-lubed the main gear with zpi medium. Gonna take it down to the lake in the morning and throw a big bladed spinner bait , see if it loosens up some.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:39 pm

poisonokie wrote:Anybody know if you can drop an SLP Steez 105 SV spool in a Zillion SV?
Yes. As long as it's the Zillion that accepts the 34mm spool.