Newer Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Newer Reels

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 pm

](*,)
Talking about glorified plastic like it's everywhere. I find modern mid tier to high end Daiwa reels every bit as satisfying as the old. Especially with the ability to to swap numerous spools. This is a Daiwa thread, correct?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:48 pm

poisonokie wrote:Yeah, but I meant the Zillion SV, which palms better than the TD. Just one man's opinion, though.

I use my OG for pitching jigs on a heavy rod, and it's as good as anything else for that.
The mag dial sticks out on the Tatula/Zillion reel compared the the TD Zillion and the mag dial has rough edges. The TD Zillion a reels have a deeply recessed dial and the dial itself has beveled edges that allow you wrap your fingers around the dial without issue and making it basically impossible to inadvertantly move the dial when palming or casting the reel. For those who plam with 3 fingers in front of the trigger the Zillion TWS and to a lesser extent the Zillion SV TW are just awful plaming reels compared to the TD Zillion and TD-Z. They are just shaped wrong to accommodate the T-wing. The recent changes to the Tatula with the new 100 greatly improve the palmability of the reel but the mag dial still has rough edges.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:00 pm

poisonokie wrote:Well, you know with a Megaforce reel, they break, but you can sit back, puff a blunt, a "Woolah" instant fish!

All joking aside, I don't consider Zaion or C14 to be plastic any more than carbon fishing rods are plastic. The side plate on the Tat CT is a different story.
Don't fall for that. A 90% plastic resin part with some graphite powder mixed in is still a plastic part. Yes it is better than low or no carbon content plastics but it is a far cry from an actual graphite/carbon product like a fishing rod or carbon fiber handle.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:34 pm

LowRange wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Yeah, but I meant the Zillion SV, which palms better than the TD. Just one man's opinion, though.

I use my OG for pitching jigs on a heavy rod, and it's as good as anything else for that.
The mag dial sticks out on the Tatula/Zillion reel compared the the TD Zillion and the mag dial has rough edges. The TD Zillion a reels have a deeply recessed dial and the dial itself has beveled edges that allow you wrap your fingers around the dial without issue and making it basically impossible to inadvertantly move the dial when palming or casting the reel. For those who plam with 3 fingers in front of the trigger the Zillion TWS and to a lesser extent the Zillion SV TW are just awful plaming reels compared to the TD Zillion and TD-Z. They are just shaped wrong to accommodate the T-wing. The recent changes to the Tatula with the new 100 greatly improve the palmability of the reel but the mag dial still has rough edges.
I guess the way I palm it the dial doesn't bother me, and the top plate is contoured on the SV making it more comfortable. To me.
LowRange wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Well, you know with a Megaforce reel, they break, but you can sit back, puff a blunt, a "Woolah" instant fish!

All joking aside, I don't consider Zaion or C14 to be plastic any more than carbon fishing rods are plastic. The side plate on the Tat CT is a different story.
Don't fall for that. A 90% plastic resin part with some graphite powder mixed in is still a plastic part. Yes it is better than low or no carbon content plastics but it is a far cry from an actual graphite/carbon product like a fishing rod or carbon fiber handle.
I think the ratio of material in Zaion is more like 40% carbon and the rest is wheatever proprietary resin they use. Just saying I've never had a problem with it myself and if it makes for a lighter reel that performs, I'm all for it.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:54 am

LowRange wrote:
poisonokie wrote: All joking aside, I don't consider Zaion or C14 to be plastic any more than carbon fishing rods are plastic. The side plate on the Tat CT is a different story.
You nailed it LR! All smoke and mirrors in the PR game.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:29 am

To address a previous comment, Daiwa has ALWAYS been quick and friendly with me, as has Shimano. They have offered to help me fix reels past warranty and always been able to answer questions. I see no reason to find Shimano superior or the other way around. I have narrowed my future reel purchases to one or the other, but I don't understand the gripe with Daiwa, only the best from them here.

The normal down here is cheapo's though, moderate priced Lew's/Abu's, or the Chinese knock offs are on most boats, even the $70,000+ boats w/ $50,000+ trucks.

Back to the main thread though, it just depends on which newer reels is what I would have to say, there are good and bad ones everywhere you look.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 am

LgMouthGambler wrote: He also wont admit that Shimano has basically applied things to their reels that Daiwa has been using for years.
ShimanoFan wrote: That would be an interesting discussion... for another thread of course... as I kind of think it is the other way around! \:D/
X-Ship???

Daiwa been having duel bearing supported pinions for a while. They never cared to name it or hype it up.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:10 am

DirtyD64 wrote: They have offered to help me fix reels past warranty and always been able to answer questions. I see no reason to find Shimano superior or the other way around.

Back to the main thread though, it just depends on which newer reels is what I would have to say, there are good and bad ones everywhere you look.

In no way do I say or suggest Shimano is superior. My comments are geared towards "preferred" over the rest. Like tasting food. Some like sushi, some don't. Same with reels. My preferred taste is with Shimano. Daiwa simply has not made one I like yet.

Another fantastic issue I hope to see happen one day and it has been brought up, would be the possibility for the instant creation of out of production parts for older reels. There are growing numbers of older reels out there every year that can not get replacement parts from the companies who made them.

But what if new technology gave each of us- you and I, the ability to make our own parts for older reels like say on a 3D printer? Many of the needed parts are plastic anyway- so why not make our own since the technology is now available to each of us.

I can go down to a local electronics surplus store right now and buy a small desktop 3D printer and start doing it today if I wanted to. The only point of issue for this would be the creation and compilation of a database of part dimensions that each of us can download anywhere in the world and plug into a 3D printer and presto! Instant new pinion yoke for an old reel now brought back to life...

Shimano gets into it a lot deeper and in person at the highest levels and I for one greatly appreciate this and applaud them for it.

And this is just my opinion on the subject and it could change if and when we start to see Daiwa's top executives being pro-active and progressive in technology development sharing.

After all, these baitcast reels are mostly all alike inside anyway! So why not share?

I have watched one brand try and steal from another at ICAST as they try to open a competitors reel to look inside right on the show floor of ICAST until they got caught and kicked out of the booth. All they had to do was wait a couple of weeks and buy one off the shelf rather than embarrass themselves and their company on the show floor in front of everyone. Not how to do it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:47 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: They have offered to help me fix reels past warranty and always been able to answer questions. I see no reason to find Shimano superior or the other way around.

In no way do I say or suggest Shimano is superior. My comments are geared towards "preferred" over the rest. Like tasting food. Some like sushi, some don't. Same with reels. My preferred taste is with Shimano. Daiwa simply has not made one I like yet.

Another fantastic issue I hope to see happen one day and it has been brought up, would be the possibility for the instant creation of out of production parts for older reels. There are growing numbers of older reels out there every year that can not get replacement parts from the companies who made them.

But what if new technology gave each of us- you and I, the ability to make our own parts for older reels like say on a 3D printer? Many of the needed parts are plastic anyway- so why not make our own since the technology is now available to each of us.

I can go down to a local electronics surplus store right now and buy a small desktop 3D printer and start doing it today if I wanted to. The only point of issue for this would be the creation and compilation of a database of part dimensions that each of us can download anywhere in the world and plug into a 3D printer and presto! Instant new pinion yoke for an old reel now brought back to life...

Shimano gets into it a lot deeper and in person at the highest levels and I for one greatly appreciate this and applaud them for it.

And this is just my opinion on the subject and it could change if and when we start to see Daiwa's top executives being pro-active and progressive in technology development sharing.

After all, these baitcast reels are mostly all alike inside anyway! So why not share?

I have watched one brand try and steal from another at ICAST as they try to open a competitors reel to look inside right on the show floor of ICAST until they got caught and kicked out of the booth. All they had to do was wait a couple of weeks and buy one off the shelf rather than embarrass themselves and their company on the show floor in front of everyone. Not how to do it.
Yeah there is nothing more sad than having any old machine that could function 100% but cannot do to part unavailability...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:22 pm

Planned obsolescence boys and girls...

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:14 pm

There has been maybe one or two half true statements in this entire tirade. Can we just call this thread what it is: people being scared of change ](*,) There have always been cheapo reels and high end reels through Daiwa and Shimanos past. I would not trade what Daiwa or Shimano is doing today for what they did in the past. I recently bought an old Curado D and am upset and flabbergasted at the amount of backplay in the handle...didn't bother me at the time but it just shows how far we've come in the past 10 years. No one is making you fish new reels if you want to be stuck in 2005 the remainder of your life I say have fun man and to each his own. But please just stop.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:30 pm

Samuel_b wrote:There has been maybe one or two half true statements in this entire tirade. Can we just call this thread what it is: people being scared of change ](*,) There have always been cheapo reels and high end reels through Daiwa and Shimanos past. I would not trade what Daiwa or Shimano is doing today for what they did in the past. I recently bought an old Curado D and am upset and flabbergasted at the amount of backplay in the handle...didn't bother me at the time but it just shows how far we've come in the past 10 years. No one is making you fish new reels if you want to be stuck in 2005 the remainder of your life I say have fun man and to each his own. But please just stop.
This subject comes up every so often on here, and has for years now. It's all subjective. But I can say this for a fact-I have been one of the most ardent fans of the Alphas (and Pixy) in all its variations, just ask anyone who has been around a while. But the fact is, I sold an Alphas, a Fuego and a TDZ to buy one Steez CT. I have since sold 3 more Alphas and another one is listed right now, in order to buy another Steez CT(if they ever come back in stock!). I'm a huge fan of the TDZ, Alphas, Pixy, OG Fuego and other reels from that time-frame, but the newest Steez is the real deal. More finesse-capable than the OG Pixy/Alphas? Yes! It holds as much or more line than the Pixy/Alphas? Yes! Smaller and more palmable than the Pixy/Alphas? Yes! Lighter than the Pixy/Alphas? Yes! The one gripe I have with the Steez CT is the plastic drag star, and that's a small gripe, at best. To be fair, though, I did order an Alphas CT this past Friday. I still love the classics, but time marches on. 8-)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Samuel_b wrote:There has been maybe one or two half true statements in this entire tirade. Can we just call this thread what it is: people being scared of change ](*,) There have always been cheapo reels and high end reels through Daiwa and Shimanos past. I would not trade what Daiwa or Shimano is doing today for what they did in the past. I recently bought an old Curado D and am upset and flabbergasted at the amount of backplay in the handle...didn't bother me at the time but it just shows how far we've come in the past 10 years. No one is making you fish new reels if you want to be stuck in 2005 the remainder of your life I say have fun man and to each his own. But please just stop.

So let's be clear here past the projected negativity loboy attempt at forum content controlling... I use newer reels too. My main reels are Shimano i series today. A couple years old. I am waiting for first run issues to be um cleared up before I invest in K or DC.

Now, as to YOUR problem with older reels. It is YOUR problem. For us reel techs with decades of experience in servicing and tuning up reels for a living, you know, I am unfamiliar with your complaints. My reels are tight. Probably tighter tolerance than Shimano would allow me, but they are MY reels and I can do that if I want. My 25 year old reels are tight.

I tend to do this at work too. Eliminate the excess play. Suppose to be a little... but not much. So I hand my reels to my boss for checking before sending them up front. And I am sometimes told to loosen them up a little before sending them out. So I can make them really tight with virtually zero play.

And you do know you can upgrade the D with newer parts right? Like get rid of the old AR you did not like and replace with a new design with no backplay you might actually like? I can fit new gears into the D. New bearings. Upgrades and other stuff to bring old reels to new life tighter than a feminist's... oh never mind.

Did you ever look inside an AR? Ever take any apart and put them back together? Ever notice the size difference of needle bearings from early curados to today's? Have you ever compared the case of the old AR to a new one? A much more refined and detailed AR. Gee, one of those of the right size would slip right into the old D in seconds...

So sorry you have to live with slop. I don't. But please just stop! :laugh1:

***I just changed the name of this forum in my bookmarks to HDT or hostile Daiwa Tour!

Like this forum needs another 'what's next for Daiwa' keep dreaming thread! And, for us Shimano fans watching that endless threading for dreaming up the dreamiest Daiwa reels- do you know what that endless threading is telling everyone? 1)Not totally happy with Daiwa now so... 2)keep dreaming up what they want Daiwa to make for them because 3)they DON'T have it! 4)And aren't getting it. And soooooooo... 5)the yearning, dreaming, desiring Daiwa fans can only post endless comments about what they WANT. 6)Not what they actually have. And hence, 7)jump quick to defensiveness and hostility when any Daiwa reels are not liked much by some- and not bought nor used nor supported. H O S T i L E toxicity.

Is it too much to ask of the Daiwa crowd to stop posting comments aimed at members personally for simple discussion about little old fishing reels? All words and comments should stay on the reels not degrading other members because someone don't like what was said. Refute it. Stay on topic. And stop it with any and all personal negative comments. Admin should be more on top of this sort of thing since there are rules to prevent it.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:35 am

:roll:
This is the way.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:00 am

I really don't get all the complaining as with old and new reels we can have the best of both worlds and everyone can have exactly what they want. Those of us that like the more solidly built older reels can still purchase them used and get them serviced to perform like new and add whatever upgrades we like. Those that prefer the lightest weight reels possible with the newest reel technology at the expense of some toughness and rigidity can buy the new reels. And it also seems to me that both Daiwa and Shimano are still making some reels in the more old school mold. Shimano is making heavier duty reels like the new Bantam, Tranx, and newer Conquests. Daiwa is making a new Ryoga, new Millionare and new Z2020. So neither Daiwa or Shimano is all about lightweight plastic/carbon fiber reels as both are still emphasizing sturdy solid reels as well as lightweight ones. So instead of complaining be happy that in reality there are reels being made for what everyone wants and if you are a stickler for the actual OG reels we can buy them with lots of options to upgrade as far as spools, handles, gears, etc.