Newer Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Newer Reels

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 am

hungry_cow wrote:I really don't get all the complaining as with old and new reels we can have the best of both worlds and everyone can have exactly what they want.
Thank you!

I don't get it either. Just fishing reels. Not like it is important enough to ruffle any feathers over! Geezzzz ](*,)
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am

There's only one member here with ruffled feathers, turkey.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:54 am

Not according to the negative personal language used in this thread directed at members. That is the problem that needs to stop. Not the discussion.

In my opinion it is those who personally demean others and their opinions who have the ruffled feathers. I just want the freedom to have an opinion without being attacked for it- and it should not be too much to ask of anyone anywhere at any time.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:14 am

ShimanoFan wrote:For us reel techs with decades of experience in servicing and tuning up reels for a living...
Do reel techs wear capes?
And you do know you can upgrade the D with newer parts right? Like get rid of the old AR you did not like and replace with a new design with no backplay you might actually like? I can fit new gears into the D. New bearings. Upgrades and other stuff to bring old reels to new life tighter than a feminist's... oh never mind.
Lol I do hate pointing out the obvious...but for us laymen (civilians, if you will), we'll just buy newer reels that don't require a complete overhaul just to feel like a reel from this decade, thanks.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 am

reason162 wrote: Do reel techs wear capes?
I know of one who thinks so! lol

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:36 am

With the addition of Twing Daiwa reels started to get worse with reels like the T3, Zillion TWS and Zillion SV TW. The T3 was a weird plastic door stop and the Twing Zillions were basically Tatulas. The addition of the Twing also makes the reels shaped very differently from other non Twing reels in that they are very wide at the front of the reel to accommodate the Twing. This makes it difficult to recess the mag dial and forces Daiwa to use a dial with rough edges to even be useable which cause the dial to rub on your hand when palming and/or change brake settings.

With the new Tatula 100, Steez/Morerhan and Steez CT the reels have become much more compact and better palming with measures to address the wide front and mag dial issue. They also have developed two new Twing platforms with Steez and Steez CT and are no longer forcing the Tatula platform up. My take on it is that there were some teething problems implimenting the Twing that did result in some mistakes but ultimately we will get back to having compact and smooth reels but this time with Twings. I would still like to see the Steez A trickle down as a $300 Zillion with brass gears. I'd rather they not try and force the Taula 100 platform up the food chain to $300. They can go wild with racing tuned Type R and a slick and sophisticated SV but don't try and call a Tatula a Zillion ever again.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:58 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
reason162 wrote: Do reel techs wear capes?
I know of one who thinks so! lol

You sir just got some brownie points! :lol: =D>
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:47 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote: You sir just got some brownie points! :lol: =D>

Can I get at least one brownie point for this one?

I asked my boss at work if he had a Daiwa reel I could try out at an upcoming fishing event. So today he brought in a Daiwa Zillion Coastal reel on an old custom spiral wrapped rod a deceased friend and fishing buddy made for him a long time ago.

He said you break the rod, you're dead! Soooo... I'm just going to take the reel and put it on one of my rods, and leave his precious at home for this event.

So you know, you guys talked me into putting a Daiwa in my hands to actually fish with it. And this only a test! I am pre-planning to NOT like it! lol! But I can already tell I don't like the shape of it and the protruding dial on the side. Gonna set it up tomorrow and go give it a try out...
LowRange wrote:...This makes it difficult to recess the mag dial and forces Daiwa to use a dial with rough edges to even be useable which cause the dial to rub on your hand when palming and/or change brake settings.
Like this one:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:27 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:

I asked my boss at work if he had a Daiwa reel I could try out at an upcoming fishing event. So today he brought in a Daiwa Zillion Coastal reel on an old custom spiral wrapped rod a deceased friend and fishing buddy made for him a long time ago.

He said you break the rod, you're dead! Soooo... I'm just going to take the reel and put it on one of my rods, and leave his precious at home for this event.

So you know, you guys talked me into putting a Daiwa in my hands to actually fish with it. And this only a test! I am pre-planning to NOT like it! lol! But I can already tell I don't like the shape of it and the protruding dial on the side. Gonna set it up tomorrow and go give it a try out...
LowRange wrote:...This makes it difficult to recess the mag dial and forces Daiwa to use a dial with rough edges to even be useable which cause the dial to rub on your hand when palming and/or change brake settings.
Like this one:

That one palms great. The dial is deeply beveled and recessed into the plaming plate. You can wrap you fingers around the reel and never rub on the dial. Excellent design.

This is what I am talking about. Not enough room to recess the dial all way or provide a cutout above the dial to turn it. Instead the perimeter of the dial sticks out and has a rough textured edge that is used to turn the dial. This is bad design created by the use of the Twing. It is better implemented in the newer Twing reels. TD Zillion dial for refference.
Attachments
picrtype6.jpg
picrtype6.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 5313 times
DAI-TATULARCTBC.jpg
DAI-TATULARCTBC.jpg (153.55 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Beating a dead horse here but this pic illustrates the dial differences between the older reels and the early TWS offerings. On the TD Zillion the only part of the dial with a textured surface that is accessible is the area meant to be turned by your thumb when palming the reel to make adjustments. It is completely smooth in the areas your fingers are ment to reside.

The Zillion TWS/Tatula dial sticks out from the palming plate and does not have a dedicated cutout to adjust the dial. You must run your finger around the edge of the dial to turn it. The edge of the dial is also knurled to allow it to be adjusted this way. It is objectively worse than the mag dial type and placement found in the reel it was meant to replace.
Attachments
picdaiwazilliontws-002.jpg
picdaiwazilliontws-002.jpg (115.67 KiB) Viewed 5307 times

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:01 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:

Like this one:

That's a TD Zillion, and a really great example of what a TD is. The only issue is the riveted knobs, but that was for salt reasons. Handle changes were the norm for them. I'm curious to hear of your thoughts. I know you deal with a bunch of salty reels, and that's made for just that. Dont freak out if your hands start to go numb. Lol
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Numb? I use to pay big bucks for the whole body effect! :big grin: Hands are not enough! lol!

Oh and hey, I found one of these I could throw some line on... I use my old Daiwa PTA 33 just to hold the black thread I wrap rods with because I can control the tension with the drag!

Have you ever seen one these operate? Really strange. Click the cast button and half sides of the line guide pop instantly to the outside of the reel out of the way of the line for casting. Then when you start reeling it in, one side is picked up by a gear and pulled towards the other side and they meet up and then start moving back and forth laying the line down as normal.

I guess this is where that T-wing originally came from? Different for sure...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:32 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:Numb? I use to pay big bucks for the whole body effect! :big grin: Hands are not enough! lol!

Oh and hey, I found one of these I could throw some line on... I use my old Daiwa PTA 33 just to hold the black thread I wrap rods with because I can control the tension with the drag!

Have you ever seen one these operate? Really strange. Click the cast button and half sides of the line guide pop instantly to the outside of the reel out of the way of the line for casting. Then when you start reeling it in, one side is picked up by a gear and pulled towards the other side and they meet up and then start moving back and forth laying the line down as normal.

I guess this is where that T-wing originally came from? Different for sure...

I wasn't aware something like that existed. Neat.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:06 pm

LowRange wrote: I wasn't aware something like that existed. Neat.
Try tuning one of these suckers up! This was top of the line back in what? 1980 or so? Professional bass fishermen actually used these back then...
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:44 am

medicpelle wrote:Is it just me or do the new reels leave something to be desired? I'm a JDM/Diawa guy and I can't see anything out there that I would give up my older platform reels for. Love my ito's, type-r's, steez, etc.
I stopped reading at "Diawa"....
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour