Shimano vs daiwa spinning reel for new rod!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano vs daiwa spinning reel for new rod!

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:05 pm

I picked up a Shimano Expride 7’ light+ this afternoon and now need to outfit it with a reel! Main purpose will be a perch rod for about a months time while waiting for bass season to kick start, then my ned rig rod during bass and small finesse trd tubes and other finesse applications. I throw a ci4+ on it and it balanced beautifully. debating between another ci4+, tatula lt or a ballistical lt. I have a ci4+ and super happy with it but have never tried any daiwa spinning reels

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano vs daiwa spinning reel for new rod!

Post by Hulkster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 am

the only thing i would watch with daiwa is i believe some of their newer spinning reels no longer have a bearing in the line roller.

its a bushing now. The stradic of course, has a ball bearing here.

the last TT review of a daiwa spinning reel noted issues with line twist, and daiwa used to be amazing in this regard (used to be called twist buster reels) but not sure if that is the case anymore.

If you go with one of the daiwa's i would verify that there is a bearing in the line roller first.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano vs daiwa spinning reel for new rod!

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 am

Hulkster wrote:the only thing i would watch with daiwa is i believe some of their newer spinning reels no longer have a bearing in the line roller.

its a bushing now. The stradic of course, has a ball bearing here.

the last TT review of a daiwa spinning reel noted issues with line twist, and daiwa used to be amazing in this regard (used to be called twist buster reels) but not sure if that is the case anymore.

If you go with one of the daiwa's i would verify that there is a bearing in the line roller first.
Thank you! I wouldn’t of thought of that to be honest! I’m 100% satisfied with my ci4+ but just wasn’t sure if it was worth trying the ballistic lt or tatula lt over it in this new rod. For the price difference between the ballistic and the tatula id probably opt for the ballistic for mag seal anyways.