Straight Shimano handle options

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Straight Shimano handle options

Post by Riverguy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 am

Hey guys

Obtained a new to me metanium MG7 and I want to upgrade to a longer handle. Preferably one with four bearings, which I could simply repurpose if need be from the stock handle. Looking at the Shimano web site, it appears there are a few options still avalable such as the curado G and chronarch E. The curado G seems like a good option as you can find it for $25 give or take. I'm not sure of the lengths of these handles or the E's (I don't really see it anywhere online ) but I know they're longer than the mg7. Would anyone know the length of these handles and if they are capable of handling two bearings per knob? Also I'm open to any other suggestions but would rather not spend $80 + like some of the JDM companies are asking. Secondarly, most of them have knobs that I don't think I'd like more than Shimano's factory options.

Another option after looking on tackle trap is they offer little spacers to allow use of recurve handles. Has anyone used any of the newer style handles on the older reels? The recurve isn't that dramatic so the little spacer may be an option.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Straight Shimano handle options

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:40 am

HawgTech has straight carbon fiber handles. You can get factory Shimano knobs, corks, winn, or even anodized aluminum now. Fair priced, and 2 bearings per knob. They come in 90 and 94mm for the straight ones. Got a 94mm on my Calcutta 200GTB. I also have the 90mms on a Calcutta 100XT, and my Citirado200E7.
<")))><{

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Straight Shimano handle options

Post by Kschultz76 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:04 pm

I’ve used the spacers that Bryan provides at the Tackle Trap to install Chronarch MGL 90mm handles on my Chronarch 51E and Scorpion 1001XT and has worked out great for me.