DC (Antares, Calcutta, spool tension, distance, etc.)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

DC (Antares, Calcutta, spool tension, distance, etc.)

Post by jrk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:27 am

I've owned several of these over the years. Two calais DC's and tried a 2016 Antares DC. The former were rockets. The latter disappointed me in general casting, specifically distance...so I sold and decided to look elsewhere for a good distance reel. I mainly fish inshore flats for very spooky fish, and in late season, having a little extra distance (with wind) is a plus. But, I may have not given the 2016 a decent chance...not sure. I never messed with the spool tension on any of these. I happened upon a few vids (Japanese) where it clearly showed testers adjusting the spool tension dial. Never needed to play with this on the Calais, but wondering if anyone owning a 2016 Antares DC has ever done this and seen improved casting.

I'm pondering jumping back into this if, based on responses, I hear this adjustment makes a big difference. If so, maybe the larger model (MD)? Or...if anyone has intel on the new Calcutta DC and how this guy casts compared to the rest, love to hear about it...just looking at that thing makes me smile.
I also am hearing the new 2019 Antares is a bomber, maybe more so than most, but from experience, even religiously cleaning, salt, or brackish water and magnesium are not a wise mix.

Anyone have any input on this, greatly appreciate the time.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: DC (Antares, Calcutta, spool tension, distance, etc.)

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Maybe try a Bantam MGL. The one I have is a good distance caster.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Could you share those Japanese videos?
In order for me to get the best distance on my 2016 Antares DC, I do tight the spool tension to the point where I can go lower on brakes at X Mode. You gotta use X Mode to reach the maximum. Best casts I had - have been at X Mode, brakes set at 4, and spool tension was pretty tight.
I doubt the new 2019 Antares will outcast the previous generation.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:04 am

Long vs short reel syndrome also...

Love those old long reels for ease of line angle off the spool to level wind....

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 am

No experience with those reels but the older Esxence DC can really get after it for distance. I have 2 and they will put a bait out there with the best of them and the ergonomics are good too. You can find a used one for a nice price.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 pm

My partner bird-nested the sh** out of a Curado DC this past week, so DC is not infalliable if you're not paying attention :). Same for SV for that matter. It helps, but you can't go to sleep on it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 pm

The DC system is not infallible that's for sure - too. Much curry on a cast without thought will see you picking the spool apart.

And with all these vids showing the spool stopping at the end of the cast "stop it"...

Tell the truth - setting on 4 and the spool adjustment knob wound right in yeh it does stop - but not when it's dialled for distance.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 am

78Staff wrote:My partner bird-nested the sh** out of a Curado DC this past week, so DC is not infalliable if you're not paying attention :). Same for SV for that matter. It helps, but you can't go to sleep on it.
What SV spools are like that? With my Alphas SV and Tatula SV I can pretty much go to sleep when casting. I don't need to stop the spool with my thumb even when the baits hit the water or stop skipping. I still do it out of habit and to stop the one or two loose coils that will form if I skip a bait without touching the spool or let a frog slam down on a mat thumb free. If I dial the mag brake back on either reel the line fluffs up at the beginning the cast like the spool rpm is not being properly controlled.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Cracker wrote:Could you share those Japanese videos?
In order for me to get the best distance on my 2016 Antares DC, I do tight the spool tension to the point where I can go lower on brakes at X Mode. You gotta use X Mode to reach the maximum. Best casts I had - have been at X Mode, brakes set at 4, and spool tension was pretty tight.
I doubt the new 2019 Antares will outcast the previous generation.
Name of vid I watched was 2018 Shimano Antares DC MD (Part 2). Same DC unit, but algorithm slightly tweaked for heavier bulkier baits.
I’ve had several Calais DC reels way back when they first came out. Fished the hell out of them, and the distance was insane, especially with an aerodynamic lure. I’ve only had one Antares DC, 2016, and its 4x8 was much more restricted than the earlier 2006 and 12 Calais models. Threw a friends 2016 Antares DC the other day, played with the spool tension, tried different lines, etc, and we both agreed it seemed to error on the side of heavier braking than our earlier models, which might be good for someone new to throwing, but the Wind breaking algorithm on the early units were idiot proof.

Of course we could have experienced two odd ball reels out of the mix, not sure.
Love to see someone throw the new Antares non-DC in comparison to see distance gain/loss, if any.