New knob styles

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New knob styles

Post by BigG » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 am

TT needs to do a poll on the Daiwa knobs. I love the plastic covered cork, don't care for the paddles at all. Be interest to see which is preferred.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:24 am

BigG wrote:TT needs to do a poll on the Daiwa knobs. I love the plastic covered cork, don't care for the paddles at all. Be interest to see which is preferred.
x2. Just hate the cost of changing out over a dozen reels. ](*,)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

The Ryoga style Daiwa knobs are best to me. Really enjoy them on my Steez A, cannot believe that reel comes stock with those cheap knobs and no bearings @ $500 USD now.

The new Tatula 100 knobs are the same as the "Ryoga" ones I mentioned I think, just wish they would equip those or the "light" high grip RCS knobs from the Steez SV TW on more reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:15 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:The Ryoga style Daiwa knobs are best to me. Really enjoy them on my Steez A, cannot believe that reel comes stock with those cheap knobs and no bearings @ $500 USD now.

The new Tatula 100 knobs are the same as the "Ryoga" ones I mentioned I think, just wish they would equip those or the "light" high grip RCS knobs from the Steez SV TW on more reels.
The Seez A is a saltwater variant of the Steez. The bushings in the knobs are there to keep the knobs moving freely even when exposed to saltwater and salt deposits. The knobs are cheap looking now but at the time they were very popular. Outside of the enthusiast crowd the Daiwa I style neoprene wrapped cork knobs are throughly disliked.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:49 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:The Ryoga style Daiwa knobs are best to me. Really enjoy them on my Steez A, cannot believe that reel comes stock with those cheap knobs and no bearings @ $500 USD now.

The Seez A is a saltwater variant of the Steez. The bushings in the knobs are there to keep the knobs moving freely even when exposed to saltwater and salt deposits. The knobs are cheap looking now but at the time they were very popular. Outside of the enthusiast crowd the Daiwa I style neoprene wrapped cork knobs are throughly disliked.

I wasn't aware those knobs were disliked. I personally don't like the ones that came stock on the SV105 or Zillion SV TW. The Steez SV TW and Tatula 100 style feel great to me. I understand about the bearings with saltwater, to be honest knob bearings for me don't make a huge difference, just wished mine had them because of primarily fishing freshwater.

Would love to sell the Tatula original knobs off of my reels for another style...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I wasn't aware those knobs were disliked. I personally don't like the ones that came stock on the SV105 or Zillion SV TW. The Steez SV TW and Tatula 100 style feel great to me. I understand about the bearings with saltwater, to be honest knob bearings for me don't make a huge difference, just wished mine had them because of primarily fishing freshwater.

Would love to sell the Tatula original knobs off of my reels for another style...
Same. I was surpised to see how many people new to Daiwa reels complain about the I style knobs in the past. Complaints were that they were too hard and or slick. To me they are classic Daiwa knobs and all my pre T wing reels will have then but I can see why they are disliked if you are accustomed to larger squishy knobs. I didn't like them at 1st but grew to like them over time. The knobs on the Tatula CT and Steez A are more similar to what someone not familiar with Daiwa reels would come to expect as normal for knobs.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Same. I was surpised to see how many people new to Daiwa reels complain about the I style knobs in the past. Complaints were that they were too hard and or slick. To me they are classic Daiwa knobs and all my pre T wing reels will have then but I can see why they are disliked if you are accustomed to larger squishy knobs. I didn't like them at 1st but grew to like them over time. The knobs on the Tatula CT and Steez A are more similar to what someone not familiar with Daiwa reels would come to expect as normal for knobs.
So do you like the newest style alright? I wasn't sure, and the more I use the "Power" RCS High grip i knobs it makes me think the "Light" version on the Steez SV TW might be too small...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

So do you like the newest style alright? I wasn't sure, and the more I use the "Power" RCS High grip i knobs it makes me think the "Light" version on the Steez SV TW might be too small...

They are OK. I like the looks of them and the grip but they are too thin. They need to make a chunkier version of the new knobs for the US market. It would also help deaden out some of the ticks and hollowness of the Tatula 100 to make it feel more high end.

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 am

I'm a big fan of the knobs on the Chronarch and Metanium and have ordered a few sets to replace the knobs on my Core and Curados. They're the perfect size to me and I've never found my grip slipping under wet conditions.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 am

hokiehi wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 am
I'm a big fan of the knobs on the Chronarch and Metanium and have ordered a few sets to replace the knobs on my Core and Curados. They're the perfect size to me and I've never found my grip slipping under wet conditions.
IMG_20190612_215436.jpg
BNT4614 & BNT5560 (1)
IMG_20190612_215436.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
IMG_20190612_215504.jpg
BNT4614 & BNT5560 (2)
IMG_20190612_215504.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
You talking about these? If so you're talking on the same frequency... Excellent knob suited to 200 and smaller reels!
IMG_20190612_215357.jpg
Metanium knob set
IMG_20190612_215357.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
But what I really want for some of my larger 'use' reels are these "unobtanium" knobs off the Metanium - just considered contraband here for some reason... :-s