Daiwa 14 SS SV 103SHL Weak Drag

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa 14 SS SV 103SHL Weak Drag

Post by Edward78 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:36 pm

I just purchased and received a Daiwa 14 SS SV 103SHL new from a Japanese seller on Amazon. The reel is nice and I like it a lot but the drag is so weak. My Shimano BFS reels have stronger drag. It doesn’t seam to start tightening up until the very last bit of adjustment, is this normal and if so how can I fix it ? I have other JDM Daiwas and Shimano’s and this is by for the weakest of them all.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa 14 SS SV 103SHL Weak Drag

Post by iabass8 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:25 pm

yes it sucks. Spend the 8$ for carbontex drag from smoothdrag. Tackletrap usually has it in stock.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Edward78 wrote:I just purchased and received a Daiwa 14 SS SV 103SHL new from a Japanese seller on Amazon. The reel is nice and I like it a lot but the drag is so weak. My Shimano BFS reels have stronger drag. It doesn’t seam to start tightening up until the very last bit of adjustment, is this normal and if so how can I fix it ? I have other JDM Daiwas and Shimano’s and this is by far the weakest of them all.
I put a SLPW Steez SV105 spool in mine and it pulls power finesse duty now. The drag thrust washers on mine were a little flat, so I actually put a steeper arch in them with pliers and the drag's max pressure increased a good bit. I also put a Steez EX drag star on it, so it being aluminum vs. plastic might have also helped. With this reel having a magnesium frame, I never considered needing a stronger drag, because power techniques call for an aluminum-frame reel imho. But, as stated above, carbontex is a quick-fix.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Yeah, it's not a strong drag, but it's about the smoothest stock drag I've ever felt. Like they said, mag finesse and you're golden.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Super smooth but super weak drag. A drag upgrade is mandatory unless the reel is being used as a BFS reel. It is that weak.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:34 am

LowRange wrote:Super smooth but super weak drag. A drag upgrade is mandatory unless the reel is being used as a BFS reel. It is that weak.
That’s how I feel, the reel is nice and the drag feels smooth but I know my SS Air has more drag and that’s unacceptable to me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:41 am

Mine is super weak too. Washers would help, but I think the 8 gear conversion helps more, due to the eared washers. It helps to grab hold and give you a few more pounds or so of pressure. I use mine on a 7'Medium cranking rod, so for now it is OK. There have been times though where medium sized smallmouth have pulled me all over though. At least I don't have to worry about hooks bending out or breaking...

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am

iabass8 wrote:yes it sucks. Spend the 8$ for carbontex drag from smoothdrag. Tackletrap usually has it in stock.
I have been looking for the Carbontex drag washers but cant find ones for this model, do i just need to order them for another model and if so what model ?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 am

Edward78 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:yes it sucks. Spend the 8$ for carbontex drag from smoothdrag. Tackletrap usually has it in stock.
I have been looking for the Carbontex drag washers but cant find ones for this model, do i just need to order them for another model and if so what model ?
I never know either man, sorry. Their kits don't list many models. I always reach out to the TackleTrap and they let me know which one to order.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:56 am

iabass8 wrote:
Edward78 wrote:
I never know either man, sorry. Their kits don't list many models. I always reach out to the TackleTrap and they let me know which one to order.
Wasting time, call TT :D

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Edward78 wrote:I just purchased and received a Daiwa 14 SS SV 103SHL new from a Japanese seller on Amazon. The reel is nice and I like it a lot but the drag is so weak. My Shimano BFS reels have stronger drag. It doesn’t seam to start tightening up until the very last bit of adjustment, is this normal and if so how can I fix it ? I have other JDM Daiwas and Shimano’s and this is by far the weakest of them all.
I put a SLPW Steez SV105 spool in mine and it pulls power finesse duty now. The drag thrust washers on mine were a little flat, so I actually put a steeper arch in them with pliers and the drag's max pressure increased a good bit. I also put a Steez EX drag star on it, so it being aluminum vs. plastic might have also helped. With this reel having a magnesium frame, I never considered needing a stronger drag, because power techniques call for an aluminum-frame reel imho. But, as stated above, carbontex is a quick-fix.
That's true. I have the same spool in mine and it's on a 65ml/rf rod for mag finesse. I swapped the star out to a Zaion one and had to add a washer to make that work, which helped increase the pressure without impacting the smoothness. I forgot about that until you said something about a plastic drag star.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:33 pm

I ended up ordering Tackletraps 8.1:1 Brass gear set that comes with stacked carbontex drag kit. Installed it today with some cals drag grease and it’s still very smooth but very strong if you tighten down on it. I also installed a SS Air tension knob, a cheap 95mm carbon handle with cork knobs and have a Rey’s Studio Carbon dragstar on the way. This reel ended up becoming a costly project but it is looking and feeling good.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 am

I had one and could never find a satisfactory way of making the drag stronger, so sold it. Shame as it was a nice reel otherwise.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

Tim Kelly wrote:I had one and could never find a satisfactory way of making the drag stronger, so sold it. Shame as it was a nice reel otherwise.
Its kinda strange how weak that drag is ? I'm not one of those guys who want a 25lb drag locked down to fish but this is the lightest drag I have ever had and i own 4 BFS reels, including a Aldebaran 16 BFS that I thought was the weakest drag ever made on a modern reel until i purchased this reel.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:13 am

The finished product with a strong and still smooth drag.