Steez A revisited...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Steez A revisited...

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Been waiting a year to post this: for those who jumped on this reel, like I wanted to last year but didn’t... How do you like it? What are its strengths and it weaknesses? I love the old Zillions and picked through a lot of the 18 page thread on the Morethan and am curious if they are redundant at this point, and why I don’t hear more about the Steez A? I’ve seen a couple for sale on BBC and still haven’t ruled one out. I loved loved loved my old Zillions and would love something just like it but with better light lure casting ability. Thanks!!!

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm

If you want a TD Zillion with lighter lure casting ability then look at an SV103. It is a 103 TD Zillion and has a ton of spool options.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:22 pm

True I just never messed with them and I thought the G1 Steez A spool was supposed to be better...? Tbh it’s a sexy reel too, wish that didn’t matter but it does look sweet.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4654
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Samuel_b wrote:Tbh it’s a sexy reel too, wish that didn’t matter but it does look sweet.
Around here, it always matters how sexy a reel is! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1821
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 am

I like mine. Wanted a new reel, like the Bantam MGL, but wanted a few more options for modification. I prefer Daiwa reels, and really like light lure casting so I picked the Steez A. Removed the stock spool and placed it in an SS/SV (which works amazing for 3/8+ hard lures), I used a Zillion SV TW spool in the Steez A and they are a perfect match. If I sell or need another reel, the next purchase will be a Steez A, SV TW, or the new CT SV TW Steez.

User avatar
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am
Location: Florida

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by 78Staff » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:38 am

I've got 7 or 8 of them now... Overall I like them. Pretty much all my NRX/Bottom Contact setups have Steez A or SVTW's, and my moving bait setups have TD-Z's. I posted a while back on this forum or maybe a different one there are a few things that annoy me a bit, but not enough that I stopped buying them lol.

First off is the drag star - it's a Zaion (for the weight savings assumingly), but just feels cheap on a reel at this price point. The Morethan (JDM Steez) has an aluminium star and I've ordered one from Plat to compare. Also, for those of us who have fished the typical Daiwa platform for years - the Mag Brake adjustement dial is kind of a pain, since it's recessed into the sideplate a bit compared to older models. The older Daiwa platforms it was super simple to flick the dial with your thumb - with the new style, it takes a bit of doing. Some might consider that plus, though I suppose. I also think not having any handle bearings at this price point borders on criminal. I get why they did it, the A is the "all purpose" model and ok for SW, where those bushings will shine. But having to add 4bb to the handle annoys me. I also remove the drag clicker - quick and easy to do. And I replace the knobs with Diawa/Megabass I Shapes and swap in ZPI Office bearings (although the oem steez bearings aren't terrible tbh) which is just personal preference.

So, sounds like a lot of stuff I dislike, but not really, it's all nit-picky personal preference stuff. It's a completely revised reel and seems to be the platform Diawa is moving to - the drag setup is different, the teardown is a bit different, etc. Can it do anything I couldn't do with OG Steez... probably not, but it can do it all easier and more efficiently. I feel it does cast a bit further, and it's certainly easier to skip with. It also palms better that the OG Steez or Zillion frames imo.

I actually waffled a bit on the OG Steez vs the new versions, but decided to stick with the newer model and sold off my OG Steez's, J-Dreams, and SV103's. The J Dreams are... magnificent, but they are heavy OG Zillion platform and 36mm spools, which really limits options. The SV103's are popular but I found them to be overbraked and a bit heavy as well. In fact the only Zillion format I have left is a Type R, which has upgraded 8.1 gears and high speed levelwind swap, and sits on a 916UBR as a dedicated punch and frog/slop rod.

User avatar
egore1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by egore1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:51 am

I fished a Steez A since last fall and quickly found it to be a great reel. I tore it down and serviced it to my liking. It remains smooth and is an excellent casting reel, I have a multitude of spools to mess with which I enjoy. With extra spools I change from fishing clear water reservoirs to the Delta with a quick switch. I think this reel is more dynamic than OG Zillions because of the plentiful spool options, it casts a wider range of weights in stock configuration. Put in a ZPI PG spool, or the Zillion SV TW and it gets really fun. It quickly dethroned my Chronarch MGLs and I prefer it to my MET MGL too. I grabbed a Morethan and a XH speed A is on the way from overseas as I type this, so I guess I've become a fan.

One thing to mention, I was not a fan of the TW concept initially and purchased a Zillion SV TW on a whim last fall. That reel is a great performer and was the impetus for me to branch out and try the Steez. I really appreciate the abilities of that reel, it can bomb cast something heavy and skip under a dock like a champ with the flick of a dial. It has brass gearing and it uses 34mm spools too.

User avatar
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am
Location: Florida

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by 78Staff » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:17 am

egore1 wrote:I fished a Steez A since last fall and quickly found it to be a great reel. I tore it down and serviced it to my liking. It remains smooth and is an excellent casting reel, I have a multitude of spools to mess with which I enjoy. With extra spools I change from fishing clear water reservoirs to the Delta with a quick switch. I think this reel is more dynamic than OG Zillions because of the plentiful spool options, it casts a wider range of weights in stock configuration. Put in a ZPI PG spool, or the Zillion SV TW and it gets really fun. It quickly dethroned my Chronarch MGLs and I prefer it to my MET MGL too. I grabbed a Morethan and a XH speed A is on the way from overseas as I type this, so I guess I've become a fan.

One thing to mention, I was not a fan of the TW concept initially and purchased a Zillion SV TW on a whim last fall. That reel is a great performer and was the impetus for me to branch out and try the Steez. I really appreciate the abilities of that reel, it can bomb cast something heavy and skip under a dock like a champ with the flick of a dial. It has brass gearing and it uses 34mm spools too.

Actually, this mirrors my early TW experience as well... I was never a fan, with all the early twing gouging issues and wider reel width required to encompass it, etc. Picked up a Blue Coastal about 2 years ago and really had no issues with it. Fast forward to 2018 and I decided to try the new Steez and it just ballooned from there lol. I also neglected to mention I also have the Zillion SV G1 spool in several of my A's as well.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by Samuel_b » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm

78Staff wrote:
egore1 wrote:I fished a Steez A since last fall and quickly found it to be a great reel. I tore it down and serviced it to my liking. It remains smooth and is an excellent casting reel, I have a multitude of spools to mess with which I enjoy. With extra spools I change from fishing clear water reservoirs to the Delta with a quick switch. I think this reel is more dynamic than OG Zillions because of the plentiful spool options, it casts a wider range of weights in stock configuration. Put in a ZPI PG spool, or the Zillion SV TW and it gets really fun. It quickly dethroned my Chronarch MGLs and I prefer it to my MET MGL too. I grabbed a Morethan and a XH speed A is on the way from overseas as I type this, so I guess I've become a fan.

One thing to mention, I was not a fan of the TW concept initially and purchased a Zillion SV TW on a whim last fall. That reel is a great performer and was the impetus for me to branch out and try the Steez. I really appreciate the abilities of that reel, it can bomb cast something heavy and skip under a dock like a champ with the flick of a dial. It has brass gearing and it uses 34mm spools too.

Actually, this mirrors my early TW experience as well... I was never a fan, with all the early twing gouging issues and wider reel width required to encompass it, etc. Picked up a Blue Coastal about 2 years ago and really had no issues with it. Fast forward to 2018 and I decided to try the new Steez and it just ballooned from there lol. I also neglected to mention I also have the Zillion SV G1 spool in several of my A's as well.
Thank you to both of you for the breakdown! You're both coming from other high end reels I've used a lot too so the comparisons help a lot =D> 78staff which is your favorite spool in the Steez A. I'm thinking of picking it up for light swimbait and hevy jig/frog rod.

Salty Parrot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:35 pm

I also have a Steez A, like it alot, I have 5 different spools for it. I am also looking to add the 2019 Morethan to the arsenal sometime in the future for the brass gears and nice color.

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4299
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm a big fan of Zillion SV TW, Steez SV TW, and Steez A. I've fished quite a few different spools in them, and without exception, the ZPI NRC 001-PG spool is by far my favorite in all three platforms. I find it excels in both Zillion SV TW and Steez SV TW, but is no slouch in Steez A either. Steez A responds extremely well to the stock Zillion SV TW G1 spool.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

User avatar
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by Rippin-lips » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Crazy how we all differ on things. I bought a pg spool to put in my steez sv tw after the great results in a tdz. In the steez I was very let down. Pretty finicky and not really any improvement over the stock spool. It was a flop in my eyes. The zillion 1016 sv was a good upgrade to both of those previously tested spools. I actually used all 3 on the same rod with the same line that day. Then enters the Zpi M spool. It acted like how the pg spool did in a tdz and was hands down the best for me. I still think the zillion 1016 sv spool is the best bang for your buck in so many Daiwa reels. I think I have 4 of them now.

User avatar
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 am
Location: Florida

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:44 pm

I've got the Zillion SV TW G1 spool in a few of mine, mainly the ones I use for pitching or skipping. Otherwise I just keep the stock Steez G1 in them. It's a solid spool, essentially a 103 13g and to improve it I'd probably have to drop the coin for a M/P spool.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 am

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by ResoKP » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:37 pm

What is the difference between the two ZPI spools: NRC001M vs NRC001PG ?

On the ZPI website, the only difference I can see is that they recommend 10-14 lb fluoro for the M and 16lb fluoro for the PG. Why is this the case?

What makes the Steez SV spool better in the Steez A than the stock Steez A spool it comes with ? Also, why is the "lower-end" Zillion SV spool a better performer than the Steez A spool ?

I just got my first Steez (Steez A) so I'm new to all this...

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Steez A revisited...

Post by Samuel_b » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:09 pm

ResoKP wrote:What is the difference between the two ZPI spools: NRC001M vs NRC001PG ?

On the ZPI website, the only difference I can see is that they recommend 10-14 lb fluoro for the M and 16lb fluoro for the PG. Why is this the case?

What makes the Steez SV spool better in the Steez A than the stock Steez A spool it comes with ? Also, why is the "lower-end" Zillion SV spool a better performer than the Steez A spool ?

I just got my first Steez (Steez A) so I'm new to all this...
LMAO because it's TT and everyone likes to tinker. A few of these posters I really trust so I'm kinda hoping there's some actual tangible improvements and it's not just a money and time waster. I will say in the past I had a Zillion OG and loved it but was convinced to try a TDZ 100m spool in it, which in my hands just made the reel almost uncastable overhand and so wild...also tried a shallow PE spool in hopes of making it better with lighter weights...long story short that one may have helped a tiny bit. But I've come to be less about endless tuning and more about just fishing my reels. If I get the Steez A I plan to upgrade handle bearings and that's it lol!
I will say the ONLY spool tune I ever did that literally made a night and day difference was a shallow Avail spool I put in a Scorpion 1501 (Curado 201)! It wasn't super shallow just held about 90m of 8 pound line but damn did that thing pitch jigs like a champ. Never should have sold that spool and reel ](*,)

Post Reply