Sub 250.00 reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sub 250.00 reel

Post by johnD » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm

FishingwithBranden wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
    Never tried a Zillion but own numerous tatula's, chronarch mgl and a bantam mgl.
    By far my favorite is the Tatula sv. While not quite as smooth as the bantam it casts effortlessly, easy clutch and truly a "set and forget" reel.
    My experience with the chronarch mgl was super smooth than became a little geary feeling. Sent it in to a well known reel guy and told that was just how they are. Does not seem to be right to me as it is the geariest reel I own. Sent it back to Shimano about a month ago and still waiting for something from them........
    I feel like the aluminum geared reels all feel "geary" now a days.
    I'll add graphite reels to that mix. I was not impressed with the chronarch mgl.

Kingpin
    Angler
    Angler

Post by Kingpin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 am

I bought one of the first Chronarchs but I wasnt impressed at all. As long as I can still get some of the Zillions, I will pick up a few of them and see how things go. Thanks for the help.

FishingwithBranden
    Angler
    Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 am

Kingpin wrote:I bought one of the first Chronarchs but I wasnt impressed at all. As long as I can still get some of the Zillions, I will pick up a few of them and see how things go. Thanks for the help.
    I miss the old zillions. They are still so solid and work better than any new real I own.

hokiehi
    Senior Angler
    Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:52 pm

johnD wrote:
    FishingwithBranden wrote:
    1nutinthewater wrote:
      Never tried a Zillion but own numerous tatula's, chronarch mgl and a bantam mgl.
      By far my favorite is the Tatula sv. While not quite as smooth as the bantam it casts effortlessly, easy clutch and truly a "set and forget" reel.
      My experience with the chronarch mgl was super smooth than became a little geary feeling. Sent it in to a well known reel guy and told that was just how they are. Does not seem to be right to me as it is the geariest reel I own. Sent it back to Shimano about a month ago and still waiting for something from them........
      I feel like the aluminum geared reels all feel "geary" now a days.
      I'll add graphite reels to that mix. I was not impressed with the chronarch mgl.
      I own two of them. I was a lot rougher on the first and it’s the tiniest bit geary, but nothing that a new set of gears can’t fix. The second one still feels new. The only thing I don’t like is how they feel on the cast. I can’t explain it but it feels like the brakes aren’t rubbing against the drum even though i know they are. Nothing to complain about, just me being nitpicky

ShimanoFan
      Elite Angler
      Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Kingpin wrote: I'm also interested in the new Curado DC
      For $249.99 this is the one I'd buy. And as for other Curado's... I still have yet to own a K. I am still using my i's and I love them!
      Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?