Core50Mg 7 questions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Core50Mg 7 questions

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:03 pm

A buddy is selling a Core 50Mg7 in mint condition with box and all. He says it was a backup reel and never fished although I noticed he spooled line on it. I've held a few before but have never fished with one before. I do have a couple CH50e's which I believe is the same body style. I'm just wondering what people think of the reel and also what are the main/pinion gears made of and are they still available?

It is a package deal, the reel with a G Loomis 853C JWR GLX 7'1" Medium Heavy Extra Fast (as best I can tell the rod is the previous generation GLX not the current one) for $450. I just want the reel but I don't think he'll separate so I'll have to throw the rod online for sale if I purchase the combo. Thanks for any input on this one. Long winters lead to lots of money spent on fishing gear!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Core50Mg 7 questions

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Wow that a killer deal! That Core is great. I have the JDM version the 09Aldebaran, love it for lighter baits.
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Those Core 50s are great reels. Aluminum main, brass pinion with available 7.7:1 brass main/pinion from the Brenious and 6.3?:1 brass from the Curado 50e. The aluminum gears are very solid and smooth, and haven’t ever had any issues out of them like the newer gears seem to have. I’ve got the 7.7:1 brass in one of my Aldebarans and that reel is a super smooth little tank. Those 50 gears weren’t much smaller than the 200e gears, so not much loss in power.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 pm

To me the only thing the Core has going for it is the weight. A new curado 70 will outperform a stock Core easily and hang right with a super tuned 50, 70 will have more power as well.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:24 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:To me the only thing the Core has going for it is the weight. A new curado 70 will outperform a stock Core easily and hang right with a super tuned 50, 70 will have more power as well.
I can agree that the 70 can cast further, but that’s where the comparison stops. I’m currently using both, and the Aldebaran is just sooo much more refined than the Curado 70. Very smooth and tight compared to the 70. If you like control(seems a lot of people do) the 50 is much easier to control casting into the wind, and is nearly impossible to backlash anyways. Power is equal in my opinion. Xship usually makes a huge difference, but haven’t felt it in this case.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:39 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:To me the only thing the Core has going for it is the weight. A new curado 70 will outperform a stock Core easily and hang right with a super tuned 50, 70 will have more power as well.
I can agree that the 70 can cast further, but that’s where the comparison stops. I’m currently using both, and the Aldebaran is just sooo much more refined than the Curado 70. Very smooth and tight compared to the 70. If you like control(seems a lot of people do) the 50 is much easier to control casting into the wind, and is nearly impossible to backlash anyways. Power is equal in my opinion. Xship usually makes a huge difference, but haven’t felt it in this case.
Im gonna have to agree with this. Wasnt that impressed with the Scorpion 70 compared to my 50E models.
<")))><{

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:13 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
I definitely feel the extra power my 70 has over my Core50 when retrieving 3/4oz spinnerbaits with both. There is just more added effort needed in the retrieve of the Core than the 70.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
I definitely feel the extra power my 70 has over my Core50 when retrieving 3/4oz spinnerbaits with both. There is just more added effort needed in the retrieve of the Core than the 70.

I agree! My 70 feels more powerful and casts better the casting is the biggest upgrade, especially with sub 1/4 oz but it is a little more wild and the 50e has better ergos in my hands and is also more tunable. But for that price its a killer deal. Those are hard to find you could always flip the reel and get 250-300 out of it at least.