Help with a baitcaster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nref55
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help with a baitcaster

Post by nref55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am

Hello, I’m new to the forum, from Deep South Texas. I fish a lot of shallow water and drift a lot using the wind to push the boat, normally use a spinning reel, but I’m looking for a baitcaster to use because I love the control I have with them. I’m looking towards a Curado DC or Curado K. I’m looking into either of these as they have a 36” ipt and a lot of times I’m using a gulp jerkshad (5”) and a 1/8oz jighead. I do have a 51e chronarch set up with a 7.7 gear and find that it’s still too slow to retrieve and work a lure comfortably compared to a spinning reel, but it flings the lures and great when wading. The boat does move at a quick pace since it’s windy 90% of the time out here. Any other reel suggestions ill take as well. Thank you.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help with a baitcaster

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 am

Plenty of reels out there with high IPT. Bass Pro is getting ready to start the Classic sale this weekend. You can get a 36 IPT BPS Carbonlite 2.0 for $99.95, and $15 more off with a trade in reel. Curado DC and K are good, but a good deal is hard to pass up.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 am

Another good option would be the Tatula TTU100XS(8:1 gear ratio). They can be had for about $125 on that auction site. I have one and it's a lot of reel for that price, Plus, the Magforce Z braking is also great in the wind.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

nref55
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nref55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

Awesome, basspro is 15 minutes from my house, I’ll go take a look, and I’ll ebay that daiwa reel.... just saw that Diawa reel, they don’t have the 8.1 in lefty, they do have the ct type r?

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Another good option would be the Tatula TTU100XS(8:1 gear ratio). They can be had for about $125 on that auction site. I have one and it's a lot of reel for that price. Plus, the Magforce Z braking is also great in the wind.
$111.99 right now and free shipping for the LH. :mrgreen:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Daiwa-Tatula-Typ ... /691210946

Tat SV comes in LH 8.1:1

nref55
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nref55 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 pm

What’s the difference between the tat type R, and the tat type r ct, or the Fuego CT, I’m definitely going to get a daiwa now

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:51 pm

nref55 wrote:What’s the difference between the tat type R, and the tat type r ct, or the Fuego CT, I’m definitely going to get a daiwa now
The CT frames are more compact based on what I've heard. They're supposed to palm better because of the smaller profile. As far as the Fuego CT goes, I've heard it's the exact same as a Tatula CT but without the T-wing line guide. I don't own any Daiwa reels though so all this is based on hearsay.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50 pm

hokiehi wrote:
nref55 wrote:What’s the difference between the tat type R, and the tat type r ct, or the Fuego CT, I’m definitely going to get a daiwa now
The CT frames are more compact based on what I've heard. They're supposed to palm better because of the smaller profile. As far as the Fuego CT goes, I've heard it's the exact same as a Tatula CT but without the T-wing line guide. I don't own any Daiwa reels though so all this is based on hearsay.
You are correct on all counts. The Tat CT frame is easier to palm vs the OG Tat frame, and the Fuego CT is the same as the Tat CT minus the T-Wing. Both are really great reels for the $, but the Fuego CT at $65 (on that auction site) is about the best deal on a solid reel that you will find anywhere imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

d_vowell
Angler
Angler

Post by d_vowell » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:You are correct on all counts. The Tat CT frame is easier to palm vs the OG Tat frame, and the Fuego CT is the same as the Tat CT minus the T-Wing. Both are really great reels for the $, but the Fuego CT at $65 (on that auction site) is about the best deal on a solid reel that you will find anywhere imho.
^^^ This right here. I own two of the Fuego CTs for techniques I don't use very often and to keep in the truck in case of 'emergencies'. If I had to build an arsenal from the ground up, fresh from scratch, I'd load up on these and put the rest toward Kistler ZBones...but that's me.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 pm

I will point out, the first two reels you listed that you were consider both have "help" for casting ie DC and SV - so if you are new to baitcasting and were looking at those two for that reason, then also consider that the Tatula also comes in an SV version.

nref55
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nref55 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Hello sir, I don’t need too much help casting. I do have a bearing upgraded chronarch I use to wade. I’m just looking for a high gear ratio reel that can cast semi light lures is 1/8 jighead and a gulp jerkshad. That water I fish is shallow —2” so distance is one of the biggest factors the way I fish. Covering water is crucial. I didn’t realize there were different categories, if there are any suggestions I do have a trained thumb.

nref55
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nref55 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:07 pm

https://youtu.be/6uX2fQ2cYvM

This is a video my buddy made on my boat. It’s a very calm day so I was able to keep up with the boat moving, not always that lucky.