STEEZ SV TW 1012SV-XH

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

STEEZ SV TW 1012SV-XH

Post by yellowcard129 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Im a Shimano guy but have always wanted to try a Steez but my knowledge on them isn't great. Is this more of a bottom contact/finese reel? Or is it good for moving baits like lures in that 1/4oz to 3/4oz range like whopper plopper 90s, chatterbaits, wake baits etc. Right now im using Met MGLs and they work great but the specs of this reel look too good. 90mm handle 8.1.1 gear ratio and 5.7oz. How small is the 1012 spool on these? Planning on using 30lb braid. Would you say it holds around the same as the Alde 50? I figure the Steez A would probably be a better option for these techniques but I love light reels.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: STEEZ SV TW 1012SV-XH

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I have a US market SV TW. It will be able to handle a 90 popper no problem. I have my reel on a 843. My reel holds more line than an Aldebaren too. I have Aldebarens, Met MGL, Steez A, and a Steez SV TW. The SV TW is my favorite reel.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Using 30lb braid, you'll be fine. The spool is a little shallower but, not super shallow.

I really like mine. I use mine for bottom contact.

I got a 7.1 that I use for a little bit of everything. Feels nice under load. I do use a 90mm on it though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 am

Thanks for the responses. The JDM SV TW in the 8.1.1 gear ratio has a smaller 1012 spool and all the other models including the US model has the bigger 1016 spool correct? Are the only differences in the Steez A and the Steez SV TW the aluminum/magnesium frame and the sv spool? Are the internals/gearing the same? Im just debating on the SV TW or the Steez A. The Steez A is more then 100$ cheaper, has deeper spool and more durable but the SV TW is more then an ounce lighter. How casting between the two? I plan on putting the reel on my Loomis Conquest and matching it with a 5.6oz reel sounds very intriguing.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:08 am

yellowcard129 wrote:Im a Shimano guy but have always wanted to try a Steez but my knowledge on them isn't great. Is this more of a bottom contact/finese reel? Or is it good for moving baits like lures in that 1/4oz to 3/4oz range like whopper plopper 90s, chatterbaits, wake baits etc. Right now im using Met MGL...
Hello, Friend!
Same situation as mine at last fishing season. I has Met MGL, but i bought Steez SV TW (6.3 gear ratio) for jig and rattlins. Now i can say that very nice reel for my purposes. With same rod (M power, 7-21 gr) and line Daiwa cast farther on weigths 10-16 gr. Besides, that perfect lays in my hand. Another advantage is that additional non-original spools are made for it. I ordered one (http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80168) and wait for moment when i can test it. Honesty, i thinking about Steez A for MH (10-30 gr) rod.

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:00 am

Its tough its such an expensive reel. Ive been dong as much research on them as possible the last couple weeks. Everyone seems to have different opinions. Some say get the SV TW its amazing, others say get the Steez A its a better option and others say just stick with the Mets lol. My main purpose with this reel will be whopper plopper 90s. The 1012sv spool looks so shallow and it scares me. How many yards of 30lb sufix could I realistically fit on the 1012 spool. The Steez A overall prob looks like the better option. Alot of people are saying the SV TW for finese but I want the lighter reel.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:33 am

yellowcard129 wrote:Its tough its such an expensive reel. Ive been dong as much research on them as possible the last couple weeks. Everyone seems to have different opinions. Some say get the SV TW its amazing, others say get the Steez A its a better option and others say just stick with the Mets lol. My main purpose with this reel will be whopper plopper 90s. The 1012sv spool looks so shallow and it scares me. How many yards of 30lb sufix could I realistically fit on the 1012 spool. The Steez A overall prob looks like the better option. Alot of people are saying the SV TW for finese but I want the lighter reel.
I have just over 100 yds of 30# 832 on my 1012 spool, with about 5 yds of 10# mono backing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:19 am

Thank you HooHoo that's what I needed to hear!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I own most of the conquests and both steez reels. I prefer my steez A to the SVTW for all around use. I feel like it has a little more cranking power and more solid in hand. I prefer the Steez svtw for flukes and weightless senkos although it can easily handle 1/4-3/4 baits moving or not. I didn't really like the stock Steez A spool. Probably good for bombing baits, but a little wild for pitching/skipping jigs. I was able to buy the Steez A plus ZPI PG spool for the price of another svtw, and it is much better than a stock svtw by far all around. I put a ZPI M spool in my svtw and it's performance with those techniques is magnified and the best reel I've used to throw those baits and still have some power. I also own The Metanium MGL and can tell you that if you throw the curado k brass gears and ZPI spool bearings in your metanium from the tackle trap I think you will really love that reel. I use mine for topwater techniques even frogs cause it's so damn smooth to wind and I can cast a full spool of 50lb 832 if I really try on an 844 conquest.It also feels like it has more cranking power than the steez' after the upgrade. Not trying to stop you from getting a Steez cause I really like them a lot, but the upgraded metanium is a bad reel too. Might wanna upgrade yours anyways if you do buy a steez. In the end there is only one way to find out which is best to you and buy them all like I did. :lol: Good luck
Dom

yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Post by yellowcard129 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 am

Thanks for the info. Eventually I might have to get them all. Im pretty set on getting the SV TW just because a 5.6oz reel feels so good on a conquest and think the high speed version with the 90mm handle will get the job done very well from what ive read for whopper plopper 90s, poppers and walking baits in the 1/2oz range. If I get the Steez A im going to have to prob get that new spool but also get a new handle or at least bearings in the knobs. Ive read if you put a new handle on the Steez A it will drop the weight to around 6.2 which is still a very light reel. I already love my mets stock but might have to look into those zpi bearings, ive havent had much issues with the aluminium gears but yes brass is always better expecially for moving baits.