Steez A vs zillion type R

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
WEBBY005383
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez A vs zillion type R

Post by WEBBY005383 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Have some zillion type r models in awesome condition, should I sell them and buy some steez a models or keep them?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez A vs zillion type R

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:48 am

2 totally different reels, that are designed for totally different styles of fishing. What is your intended purpose for the reels? That will help decifer what is better suited for your needs.
<")))><{

WEBBY005383
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by WEBBY005383 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 am

Swim jigs and chatterbaits, I liked the fact that the zillion type r has brass gears vs alunminum on the steez a, I like the ergonomics on the steez a. What is everyone else thoughts?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:46 am

Either one will work just fine for that application, so its gonna be personal preference. I like the TD Zillions myself.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:56 am

I'd keep one, sell the other, and save a bit for a Steez A. That way you still have your type r and try the Steez. I think you'll like it better because it's so much lighter and there's no reason you should expect any problems out of it using for swim jigs and chatterbaits. Depending on the rod you're using, it may not balance as well, but that's not so important for moving baits, and it will be lighter overall. I'm sure you'll see an improvement in casting distance, too. But that's just my .02...
This is the way.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 pm

I would keep the Zillion type R's and save up for a Steez A. The Zillion Type R is a very nice reel, and if you change your mind later, your going to have a hard time finding another one in mint condition.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:15 pm

WEBBY005383 wrote:Have some zillion type r models in awesome condition, should I sell them and buy some steez a models or keep them?

it would probably suit you best if you sold me the Type R and got the Steez..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

WEBBY005383
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by WEBBY005383 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Is there a better spool than the stock spool for type r?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:06 pm

WEBBY005383 wrote:Is there a better spool than the stock spool for type r?
The spool from a J Dream is good if you want to cast a little lighter baits.
Or a HLC Zillion spool for some more distance.
Here are a few zillion spool options.
https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... daiwa.html
http://japamart.com/yahoo_auction/item_ ... q262672425
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:25 pm

PE special spool IMHO
CANT find them no where I have one left sold the other like an idiot
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:26 am

goldrod wrote:PE special spool IMHO
Ive got the gold PE spool with the fixed inductor in my TDZLN100HA. Man that sucker is awesome. Got it on sale from Japan Tackle.
<")))><{

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:21 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
goldrod wrote:PE special spool IMHO
Ive got the gold PE spool with the fixed inductor in my TDZLN100HA. Man that sucker is awesome. Got it on sale from Japan Tackle.
I have one red PE SPECIAL and one red PE spool they weight pretty close to one another but the nonpreforated spool is just a gem.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 am

Surprised no one mentioned the TDZ 100M spool for the Zillions. That spool turns a Zillion into a rocket launcher.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 pm

There is also a DIY/Ray's spool for the OG Zillions which isn't bad. The Red PE spool is the best one I have tried. The 100M spool didn't do much for me, but it could have been a gunky bearing.

DaveJ

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 pm

As already mentioned, really for two different applications. Z-TR is a brute, a workhorse of a reel. Steez A is more refined, but still able to handle pretty much any common bass applications, and some light saltwater as well. Steez SV TW comes in and handle the lighter stuff.

I have 6 Steez A's (3 of which I swapped 1016SV spools into), 1 Steez SV TW, but still run a Zillion Type R (with 8:1 gear upgrade and faster levelwind upgrade) on my Punching/Flipping/SlopFrog rig, if that tells you anything. Although, I'm sure the Steez A could handle those presentations as well - and tbh if the price keeps skyrocketing on the Type R's I might let it go lol.

As for spools, there are far less options for 36mm than 34mm, but a few good ones have been listed...
HLC 36mm - 15g - Better for 1/2+
J-Dream - 14g - great all around - my favorite 36mm do-all spool.
PE - 16g - haven't tried this, but is shallow for PE/Braided line. Hear lots of good things about this one if your running braid.
TD-Z 100 - 17g - good stock choice also kind of a do all but very hard to find. It's easier to just by a beater 100/100ML (NOT 103) reel for the spool these days.
DIY - 10g - I actually have one of these I got in a trade but have never used it - it's shallow honeycomb spool as to be expected.
Last edited by 78Staff on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.