Round reel love?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Round reel love?

Post by rubs96 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 am

Love them!

Calcutta TE200DC & Calcutta TE200GT are my favourites and always in use.

I do have a few of the bigger Abus for catfish and carp!

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 am

A couple Isuzus, multiple Morrums in the IVCB/UM body and SX models, CQ401, and a lonely Frankenstein of a CV-Z 103/105.

I may like the round reels

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:28 am

I'm a big fan of the Monoblock. I smile every time I fish one. I really love the old Conquest 50/51 too. The M-Ito, CV-Z, so many great round reels!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 am

bronzefly wrote:I'm a big fan of the Monoblock. I smile every time I fish one. I really love the old Conquest 50/51 too. The M-Ito, CV-Z, so many great round reels!
I've had my finger on the buy button for a monoblock for a while now. Just wondering what is your prefered type rod (length/action) and favorite type application when you use your monoblock.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I'm a big fan of the Monoblock. I smile every time I fish one. I really love the old Conquest 50/51 too. The M-Ito, CV-Z, so many great round reels!
I've had my finger on the buy button for a monoblock for a while now. Just wondering what is your prefered type rod (length/action) and favorite type application when you use your monoblock.
I have a Monoblock on everything from heavier powered ASL7206 down to a short ARMS 5105X. I'll use them for bottom contact, where I typically switch them out to 7.2:1 gears, and in a couple applications, I use the slower stock gears depending on the model. Every enthusiast and round reel fan should own at least one Monoblock of some flavor :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun May 26, 2019 8:37 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 am
Dalleinf wrote:Being Danish, I envy the Swedes for Abu Garcia ;)

I have many Ambassadeurs, Mørrum 1601 & 3601 with Avail spools, Amb 4601C3 w. Avail spool, Record 51 etc. just to name a few. I use the Mørrums in streams and rivers for seatrout.
The 4601 and Record I use for inshore fishing and from my kayak. I really like the Ambassadeurs for their looks and simplicity - they are very easy to service anyd maintain, as you know.
I am a fan, but not a huge fan, of the Mørrums - they are pretty, function well, are easy to maintain, but are not on par with high-end offerings from Daiwa and Shimano (and should not cost as much IMO).

Shimano - I use Conquest BFS w KTF spool (trout), Conquest 101 w Avail spool (trout), Conquest 301 (salmon), Calcutta 201TE and Calcutta 201D (general use, pike), Calcutta 301-401 (salmon, pike). I love the Conquests and really like the Calcutta Ds - pretty and sturdy reels, great for the price and I do not mind that the brake settings are difficult to change.

Daiwa - Ryoga 1016s and 1520 (seatrout and salmon). I love the spool options and especially the ZPIs. As I use long rods to target large fish that like small lures, the heavy reels with light spools work great for me.
Megabass - Monoblock Grigio Stone with ZPI NRC001-M. My latest addition that will see use for sea run brown trout. I am not sure that the reel is worth the €$£, but it is pretty :roll:

I really like round reels.
How light do you throw with the 1520??? Stock spool I assume, right?
Sorry I did not see this earlier. I throw down to 10 gram (3/8 oz) with stock spool. Better with 14 gram (0.5 oz) plus. Also use HLC 1514 and 1516 spools and some diy spools incoming.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 am

Great thread...
I love RR's. I had a Calcutta 200 cte a while back that I loved, but sold for some reason.
I've been looking at jumping back into a new RR, and have been looking at the new Daiwa Ryoga and the new Conquest 200 DC...both absolutely beautiful to my eye, but I believe the latter might be to slow for my all purpose use. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the new Daiwa, but read some reviews from some disappointed users with regards to how the side plate attached with a little slop in the fitting. I'm always looking for some distance for my type of fishing, and I've heard the Ryoga lags behind in this category to some degree...

I'm new to Daiwa, just took a chance on the new Morethan, but think I've fallen in love with how consistent the mag force breaking has been for me in my very high wind environment over my many years on VBS/DC. Wish there was more reviews of the new Ryoga and even the new Millionare out there. Anyone have some experience with these 2 or 3 reels, I'd love to hear feedback.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon May 27, 2019 7:29 am

There is a thread or more on the Ryoga.
I really like my Ryogas (1016 and 1520CC) and the “Daiwa Option” of using many different spools in said reels. They perform great with stock spools, but aftermarket spools increase your options with lighter weight lures if you are so inclined. Reels are stunning to look at, smooth and powerful. One negative with new Ryogas is the rocking non-handle sideplate, esp. on the 1520 size. You can find youtube videos pertaining to this issue (and I believe also on a fix). It hasn’t affected my fishing with the reels but still a nuissance.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon May 27, 2019 8:31 am

Big RR fan here. It started with an Abu 6500C I bought with my high school graduation money, and my last pickup was a Conquest BFS. I've had just about every high-end round reel at one point or another. Right now I have the Conquest BFS, Conquest 50, JDM Calcutta 12 (100 size), Luna 253, and Abus 6500C UC5600 UC4600UC that are used for muskie.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon May 27, 2019 12:40 pm

I forgot I still have this little 1500C tuned by Ean.

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Not so patiently waiting for Old Man River to come down.

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:27 pm

RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Smalleyez wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Nice, is that ‘Cutta D a 100 size? Also, is that the new CNQ100HG?

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 am

Thanks, and I was hoping to elect a repose on the Calcutta D. Yes, it's a 100 sized bought from Jun at Japan Tackle. It's a fine caster, comfortable, and a seemingly potent little reel with it's non-handle side being "50" sized. It thrives on my Loomis CBR 785 and has plenty of cranking power for run of the mill crankin'.

The CNQ100HG (that you spotted for me...thanks again!) is indeed in the fold and it's going to live on a St Croix Legend Elite EC70MF.

I'm retiring in 3 days, so the additions of the 100HG and BFS are my own little retirement gifts to me. 8-)

I went a little nuts on the photos, but I have to turn in my iPad before I retire. :)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)