Daiwa Coastal

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Daiwa Coastal

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:24 am

Any one have experience with this reel? Considering it for my annual tarpon/inshore trip. I am tired of using the guide's gear and I am not sure I want to bring my Z2020 into salt. :lol: I would probably run #30 braid on it.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Coastal

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 am

My brother - also a Tackle Maniac - has the reel for inshore fishing for sea run browns, which sadly do not grow into tarpon size. He is quite happy with the reel and the casting distance he achieves.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:14 pm

I've used this from my inshore casting for reds/etc. to throwing sting silvers on 12.5' distance surf rods. No full size poon, but I have a blast throwing it.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 pm

I use one for reds and seatrout and it does great, my tatula type r is just my preferred reel partially due to it being on my favorite rod and partially because I prefer the flat paddle grips to the round grips on the coastal handle.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:49 am

Daiwa has had a few “Coastal” reels in the last few years. The Zillion Coastal is a great reel. The one based on the Aird was ok, but nowhere near as nice. The last one is blue, based on the Tatula, I love this one but I’m a big fan of the TWS reels, I had to ditch the handle though, this big round grips are a no go for me. It’s got a cheap eBay cork knob handle now, love it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 am

Is the Tatula based Costal a Magforce Z reel?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 pm

Warhawk wrote:Daiwa has had a few “Coastal” reels in the last few years. The Zillion Coastal is a great reel. The one based on the Aird was ok, but nowhere near as nice. The last one is blue, based on the Tatula, I love this one but I’m a big fan of the TWS reels, I had to ditch the handle though, this big round grips are a no go for me. It’s got a cheap eBay cork knob handle now, love it.
Did you replace the whole handle or just the knobs? My coastal zillion was not impressive until I noticed the previous owner had monkeyed with the spool and after a spool swap it was awesome. Unfortunately a trip or two later it bounced off the front deck of my boat in rough seas and its somewhere near rocky creek in steinhatchee fl now.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:46 pm

I've got the blue Tatula based one, have used it on a few trips at the Jetty's with no complaints. I run 30lb JBraid on it. The knobs are kinda funky, but I haven't changed them out yet.

The Zillion based Coastal is probably a better/stronger reel, but getting hard to find.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

I have the reel and love it, have used it a few times Fishing the ocean surf with light lures like 3/4oz lipless cranks, 1oz spoons and plugs and big jerk baits. I rinse it after each trip and it’s performed flawlessly with great casting distance. I run 20lb braid on mine

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm

I have the Daiwa Coastal TW.

Great reel for the money! Sturdy, holds enough line and casts well! I have been using it as my frog reel for 2 years until I switched to become my Saltwater- jerkbait reel. Has been holding up well.

You can find them on ebay for 140 USD.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Just picked up a BNIB Coastal TWS for 158$ shipped. Currently torn apart. Going to ditch the 100mm handle and knobs and go with a 90mm for some frogging/walking/bigger jigs. The current spool will be a little too deep and heavy. Anyone throw a different spool in this badboy or a Tatula HD? Was looking for a Tatula HLC spool, but not sure they're compatible. Thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:Just picked up a BNIB Coastal TWS for 158$ shipped. Currently torn apart. Going to ditch the 100mm handle and knobs and go with a 90mm for some frogging/walking/bigger jigs. The current spool will be a little too deep and heavy. Anyone throw a different spool in this badboy or a Tatula HD? Was looking for a Tatula HLC spool, but not sure they're compatible. Thanks!
I think the Tatula 153 spool is compatible. That spool will fit the Tatula HD and convert it into a Magforce Z reel. If the Costal TWS has the same spool dimensions as the TatHD then it should fit.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 pm

LowRange wrote:
MountainMan 83 wrote:Just picked up a BNIB Coastal TWS for 158$ shipped. Currently torn apart. Going to ditch the 100mm handle and knobs and go with a 90mm for some frogging/walking/bigger jigs. The current spool will be a little too deep and heavy. Anyone throw a different spool in this badboy or a Tatula HD? Was looking for a Tatula HLC spool, but not sure they're compatible. Thanks!
I think the Tatula 153 spool is compatible. That spool will fit the Tatula HD and convert it into a Magforce Z reel. If the Costal TWS has the same spool dimensions as the TatHD then it should fit.
Awesome. Thank you!

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm digging mine even more now that it has megabass cork handles in place of the goofy ball ones

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:11 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:I'm digging mine even more now that it has megabass cork handles in place of the goofy ball ones
I’m going to change out to cork as well. Those big Eva “power knobs” are just ridiculous and takes away from an awesome reel and makes it look like a KastKing or something.