Dialing In a Curado DC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dialing In a Curado DC

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Need some advice/input on dialing in a new 151DC. I attempted to follow the instructions by allowing a little sideways play in the spool, but what a disaster. When I purchased the DC I thought it would be very similar to the Daiwa SV spools. So far there's no comparison. Any advice other than putting the DC on the #4 setting?

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dialing In a Curado DC

Post by Mike son » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:37 pm

I find mine kind of finicky in the few months I have had it. I turn the spool tension up tighter so that the lure falls slowly, much tighter than I fish any of my non-DC reels. When you get it setup right it bombs.

d_vowell
Angler
Angler

Post by d_vowell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:52 am

I think there *could* be something up with these reels as most people are having to tighten them down more than the instructions say. Mine works as it should with setting the tension just tight enough to stop side-to-side play.

The other part of the equation, I think, is a mass perception that these are 'thumbs free' reels. In my experience, there's no such thing unless you are willing to sacrifice a lot of performance.

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Used mine today throwing a 5/8 ounce lure against a 25 knot wind and it was excellent - 40# Maxcuatro on setting 2 with spool tension just barely stopping wobble, zero backlash or even fluff with light thumb on splashdown. My dc is about useless on setting 1 and 3 so I leave it on 2 and very rarely 4.

Update; Today for the first time since it was new I tried setting 1 again and was getting great distance with just a bit of fluff, same settings and lure weight that wasn't working for me before. The only thing I can think of is maybe you have to cast a bit to charge the "battery" ???
Last edited by DanTheFireman on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish for brains

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Setting 2 and add about 1/2 turn more spool tension than the instructions say. That was my sweet spot and it was trouble free after that.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 pm

If i was thinking of getting a curado dc, i would just get a metanium mg dc in used condition. Better reel and no problems with casting.