Exsence vs Stella FJ

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Exsence vs Stella FJ

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:20 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
Blacktail 8541 wrote:Get the 2500s instead of the 3000. Same reel, just shallower spool.
This. Bantam1 told me it has the same frame as the 3000 and a shallower spool. The 3000 is for saltwater fishing.

I have both reels and can put up a picture if you want.
Can you compare the exsence vs stella FJ?
I haven't fished the Stella FJ since I just got it. They're both incredibly smooth reels. My Exsense has more of an airy feel to it and the Stella feels like a precisioned piece of equipment. My personal opinion is that the Exsense is geared towards high performance and the Stella is geared towards uncomprimised precision. It's hard to describe. You can't go wrong with either reel.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 am

The Exsence is a little lighter and has a CI4+ spool and is very smooth but is a little lite in the refinement compared to the Stella. As described above, it feels precision engineered. It is just a little smoother and has a more connected feeling. It also has a metal spool. Important to me for some reason. Maybe it is that a reel that cost this much should have a metal spool. When it comes down to it I just like the Stella more for a few little reasons. The Exsence is no slouch and I definitely have a use for it, but I will not be buying any more. I will purchase the Stradik series as I just did.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Here is a comparison for the sizing. I threw in a Tatula LT 4000 in one of the pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f8qGB7Z7maSCEZDn8

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 am

Thanks guys. If I end up with the Stella, it looks like it will be the 2500 series. I was set on the exsence but then started thinking if I'm gonna "go in" I might as well go all the way. Moving in with the GF soon so it's probably the right time to make the purchase lol.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Turned the handle of a Stella 2500 yesterday it's soo smooth. Reel is quite stunning also visually.
mtfishing IG