Fishing ole classics

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fishing ole classics

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 am

Anybody else enjoy fishing the older reels more than the new ones? I personally do. Yeah, they are not as compact as some of the new offerings, but man they sure are solid and killer performing. Most of my reels are from 2009 and below. E series, 97MetaniumXT, Curado B, Conquest50, Calcutta200GTB, TD Zillion, TDZ, Scorpion Antares, etc. I find the older reels are like a classic muscle car, they jusg had something "solid" I dont feel in most new reels. The new ones are nice, but, using a reel thats 20yrs old kinda brings a smile to my face when it whips a lure way out there better than most new ones. What say you? What are some of your favorite classics to use?
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Fishing ole classics

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:46 am

I think the OG Fuego and TD-Z both fit that description. Mine are both well-worn, but they still perform. I see no reason to replace them, so they will stay with me.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 am

Curado and Chronarch E series and the older Zillions are my favorites.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:16 pm

You know very well my stance on this topic - my catch cry "Make old reels great again"

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Just got done this one's annual teardown/clean/lube. It still purrs like the day I got it. Daiwa 153HSTA.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:48 pm

uljersey wrote:Just got done this one's annual teardown/clean/lube. It still purrs like the day I got it. Daiwa 153HSTA.

That was a bad azz reel. Almost pulled the trigger on BBC to one up for sale. It was mint. But I ended up with 2 near mint 97MetaniumXT reels.
<")))><{

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Got a pair of JDM Caldias in spring 2018, but still use an SS700 (for bushwhacking situations and cottage trips) that was bought 15+ years ago:

Also have a 1973 ABU 6000c, but only use it a few times a year while leadcore trolling for trout:

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Yup just prefer the older models. I feel that the newer reels arnt designed to last as long.

My reela include morrums, alphas, silver ryogas and SV103s (sold the OGs for not having 34mm spool compatibility) and nothing really new.

Same goes for spinning reels. I tried the new shimanos (not a daiwa spinning fan, yet).
Broke the new ci4 within 5 fishing trips. Utterly disappointed, I fixed and sold it and replaced it with the old sustain.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:17 am

Yesterday i just put my old curado 100d on my spinnerbait rod. Its just been sitting on the shelf and is clean and smooth as ever

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 am

My favorite reels are the og zillions and prefer them almost everything else. I do love breaking out my old Abu round reels and old Abu mag IIs every now and then too. I like my tatula sv and revos, but they just don't have the same feeling fishing them.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 pm

:-({|= I'd love to reminisce and wax nostalgic with you guys about classic reels, but I'm too busy smackin' 'em down with my SV Light. \:D/
This is the way.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Agree 100%. Curado E, Curado B, Chronarch D, TD-X 103hva, CH50mg. I wish I had some older spinning reels. They all broke or were sold over time, this was before I knew how to do all my own maintenance. The reels I have now I will never get rid of.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:03 pm

poisonokie wrote::-({|= I'd love to reminisce and wax nostalgic with you guys about classic reels, but I'm too busy smackin' 'em down with my SV Light. \:D/
That's a 12 year old platform. Welcome to the club.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasteez.html

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:42 pm

LowRange wrote:
poisonokie wrote::-({|= I'd love to reminisce and wax nostalgic with you guys about classic reels, but I'm too busy smackin' 'em down with my SV Light. \:D/
That's a 12 year old platform. Welcome to the club.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasteez.html
Lol, so is the Zillion, Alphas, Millionaire (Luna)... I really don't consider them old classics since they all have or very recently had a current iteration. Maybe like a Millionaire 3R, TD-X, Procaster...
This is the way.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 am

The majority of my lineup is TD-Zs with some classic Millionaires and original Steez mixed in. I love the OG, but am expanding a bit this year to broaden my horizons.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm