Alphas finesse spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Alphas finesse spools

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 pm

I've been ruined. Fishing on Sunday with a friend who has a KTF v2 Alphas. I had a few casts and was blown away how good that reel is. Now a KTF Alphas is as rare as hen's teeth and daftly expensive when they do come up, so... Do I try to find a KTF V2 spool for my alphas SV, a megabass zonda finesse spool or a cosagi works one? Any other options? I believe the KTF spool is something like 6g! The zonda is nearly 10g and not sure about the cosagi.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas finesse spools

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:35 pm

With the bearing and rotor the ktf v2 spool is actually around 8.8g. Cosugi works is 7.75g with bearing. The alphas has a few options, you can cheap out and grab a rays spool and they are pretty light as well. Or you can use spacers and put in a 32mm air spool or go down to the 31mm air stream custom spool.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Thank you. Any idea how the Ray's spool would do casting light stuff compared to the more expensive options? Talking 1/16 with a small plastic.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 am

I haven’t used Alphas (33 mm) but a lot sv tw Zillion (34 mm) and some cast with T3 Air (32 mm).

34 mm: In my opinion Ray’s spool casting performance is not amazingly good. It’ just good. It’s not that light spool. But Momo’s Honeycomb casting performance is amazingly good.

I consider Ray’s 33 mm spool isn’t very good for 1/16 oz. You can cast but can you enjoy casting?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 am

After using the ktf v2, cosugi works, and zonda spool, my recommendation would be the megabass route. It’s the easiest to find and offers great performance.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:16 am

This is a DIY Ray's Studio Spool, 1016 size for the Zillion SV TW, etc. The picture shows the bearing still on, haven't used it yet though. I figure the Alphas diameter being smaller makes it slightly less than this...

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 am

the hooligan wrote:After using the ktf v2, cosugi works, and zonda spool, my recommendation would be the megabass route. It’s the easiest to find and offers great performance.
I agree in principle with the hooligan. The only caveat I would say is that the Megabass Zonda spool performs very well in the Zonda since that has stronger magnets but in a standard Alphas it can be a little bit of a wild child. I think the most versatile is the Cosugi but again very rare.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 am

Very interesting, thank you. How do you think the zonda spool would work in an Alphas SV? I imagine that has fairly strong magnets. That rays spool weight is impressive.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:11 am

I've used both the MB Zonda BFS spool and the Ray's DIY in Alphas. The Ray's is better with heavier more aerodynamic baits like 1/16 heads and small plastics, Tiny Traps ect. The MB Zonda BFS is better with UL baits like 1/32 heads and plastics, snap beans and other trout type baits. The fixed inductor of the MB spools helps with casting these UL baits. The Ray's spool has an Air Brake and a thin inductor. The spool is pretty fast and offers good distance but doesn't like the really light UL stuff. It acts like it doesn't brake enough. For 1/16 heads and 3 inches of plastic the Ray's spools are great.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 am

Tim Kelly wrote:Very interesting, thank you. How do you think the zonda spool would work in an Alphas SV? I imagine that has fairly strong magnets. That rays spool weight is impressive.
I don't think the Alphas SV has stronger magnets than a regular Alphas. The Zonda does have stronger magnets and that is the reel the spool was intended for. The question would be "how does the MB Zonda BFS spool perform in a Alphas with weaker magnets?". I don't know. My Zonda BFS spool is a Zonda. I can only compare a Zonda with the BFS spool to an SV with a Ray's spool.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:22 am

Thank you. Apparently events have moved on and my KTF friend has ordered a cosugi spool for me. :D

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:Thank you. Apparently events have moved on and my KTF friend has ordered a cosugi spool for me. :D
The Cosugi is a fun user friendly finesse spool with a little more line capacity than some finesse spools.
Another option would be an Alphas Air or Alphas Air Stream Custom.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious