Steez LTD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez LTD

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:41 am

I've not opened up the reel yet to look at the gears. I saw on youtube that someone changed out the gears to a more sturdy set of gears. I was thinking of using this reel for flipping and pair it with the 7'6" Valkyrie rod. Anyone have any issues with this reel?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

nd1225
Angler
Angler

Re: Steez LTD

Post by nd1225 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Absolutely not, one of my favorite reels even when compared to newer reels, the Steez LTD is always with me on the boat

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 pm

IIRC, the main gear is hybrid, that is, brass teeth mated to aluminum hub. Someone help me out, its been awhile since I had one open.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:IIRC, the main gear is hybrid, that is, brass teeth mated to aluminum hub. Someone help me out, its been awhile since I had one open.
That's what Hobie Wan said about the 8.1 SV Light. I still haven't torn it open yet to find out. Other than my curiosity there's no reason to yet
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:IIRC, the main gear is hybrid, that is, brass teeth mated to aluminum hub. Someone help me out, its been awhile since I had one open.
The Steez LTD 8.1 has hybrid gears as stated above
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Well I’ll see how they hold up this summer because this is the year of travel
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:47 am

A Steez for flipping? I would use something more taylored to heavy use, no?
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The Steez LTD 8.1 has hybrid gears as stated above
I thought they were, thanks for the confirmation.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Another question on the Steez Ltd...

I went to change spool bearing on the stock SV spool and noticed a big/heavy bearing cup on the spool shaft. This has to add 2 or so grams to this spool. I forgot the weigh it but the spool as a whole weighed around 15 grams.

Anyway to take this bearing cup out of the equation with a different size bearing or some other configuration?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Another question on the Steez Ltd...

I went to change spool bearing on the stock SV spool and noticed a big/heavy bearing cup on the spool shaft. This has to add 2 or so grams to this spool. I forgot the weigh it but the spool as a whole weighed around 15 grams.

Anyway to take this bearing cup out of the equation with a different size bearing or some other configuration?
The cup and the bearing are supported by the frame, so they have so effect on the weight of the spool. The rotational mass is all that matters. Sure, a bearing with a lighter inner race and micro ceramic balls will help, but that's because they rotate with the spool, and that goes for the bearing in the sideplate, too. It's sort of like the difference between sprung and unsprung weight on a car.
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:Another question on the Steez Ltd...

The cup and the bearing are supported by the frame, so they have so effect on the weight of the spool. The rotational mass is all that matters. Sure, a bearing with a lighter inner race and micro ceramic balls will help, but that's because they rotate with the spool, and that goes for the bearing in the sideplate, too. It's sort of like the difference between sprung and unsprung weight on a car.
:idea: :oops:

I learn something new everyday. Thx

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
I learn something new everyday. Thx
You and I both, brother.
This is the way.