Drag question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Drag question

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 am

I changed my Quantum Smoke Burner aluminum main gear to brass, and the gear face that the drag washer lays against/engages is a little thinner. I need to find a .5mm washer to take up the distance.
Is there a site that offers sst washers for reels?

The original drag washer is 1.45mm thick.
Can I just put in two 1mm thick Smooth Drag washers, face to face with no sst washer between, and still have the drag work?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Drag question

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am

What if you install a washer between the A/R collar and the top metal drag washer?
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 pm

poisonokie wrote:What if you install a washer between the A/R collar and the top metal drag washer?
I ordered some washers from the Quantum parts site to do that. Thanks.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 am

mark poulson wrote:
poisonokie wrote:What if you install a washer between the A/R collar and the top metal drag washer?
I had to do something similar to get a Zaion star on an SS SV. I got an extra one of those washers with the textured coating on one side and butted it up against the other one under the star since that is what I changed, not the gears. Worked like a charm.

This reminds me that I need to place a parts order. Somehow at some point I left out the spring that fits between the star and square nut on a Zillion TWS. The drag still worked, but it was weak and had no modulation. When I got a chance to actually take it apart and look I still didn't even notice at first. The first thing I checked was that the leaf springs were () and not ((. They were almost flat. So then I thought I'd just take the ones out of an OG Tat, and when I pulled the drag star off and that spring fell out it dawned on me. So now I need another spring and a set of leaf springs for the Tatula.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:20 pm

poisonokie wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I had to do something similar to get a Zaion star on an SS SV. I got an extra one of those washers with the textured coating on one side and butted it up against the other one under the star since that is what I changed, not the gears. Worked like a charm.

This reminds me that I need to place a parts order. Somehow at some point I left out the spring that fits between the star and square nut on a Zillion TWS. The drag still worked, but it was weak and had no modulation. When I got a chance to actually take it apart and look I still didn't even notice at first. The first thing I checked was that the leaf springs were () and not ((. They were almost flat. So then I thought I'd just take the ones out of an OG Tat, and when I pulled the drag star off and that spring fell out it dawned on me. So now I need another spring and a set of leaf springs for the Tatula.
Man, it's always something! :lol: :lol: :lol: