Shimano Tranx 300/301 or Daiwa Lexa 300HD or Lexa Winn 300?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Shimano Tranx 300/301 or Daiwa Lexa 300HD or Lexa Winn 300?

Post by Ghost » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 am

I'm leaning more towards the 301 Tranx, just not sure of the 2 Daiwas.

What's your call? Performance, palmability, casting?

I'll be using for swimbaits mostly. And if I get myself out there, ocean fishing. I prefer paddle handle than power handle.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Tranx 300/301 or Daiwa Lexa 300HD or Lexa Winn 300?

Post by toporanger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:08 am

I am trying the tranx 400 this year for the first time so I can't report on how well they last etc. I have used the 500 sized in the past and there is no denying its a tank but it doesnt seem like the new smaller tranx share much beyond the name with the 500 sized reel.

As a muskie and big bait slinger I will say that i have friends who love the lexas even for hard pulling baits which it doesnt sound like you will be throwing.

Finally to add to your list I would take a hard look at the revo TORO series reels, I have a toro 50 that I have been using for years for big baits and its great. I hear nothing but great things from the musky world regarding the toro reels and even the toro S is highly reccomended. And this is from people who throw BIG baits, pound swimbaits and double 10s and 12 spinners etc. That kind of punishment will destroy most reels in a season.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:04 pm

I personally prefer mag breaks over centrifugal, but I don’t care much for the standard magforce in the lexa. For big baits, I like shimano reels. Had a lexa 300 for a few years and sold it. I just got a tranx 400 and it palms much better than the lexa. Haven’t fished it yet but it feels better than the lexa.

JonathanSeto
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JonathanSeto » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:54 am

I really like the tranx 301. Mostly, because of how easy it is to palm compared to the Lexa. The only thing I did not like was the power handle on the 7:1 gear ratio. I bought a paddle handle on eBay to replace it.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:30 pm

FWIW the Lexa 300 has served me very well and is an absolute tank, for me the Lexa palms better, I was going to buy the Tranx 300 but after handling them for a little while i preferred the Lexa, and i'm still running Curado 300's also (one of my all time favorites). My original Lexa 300 has out lasted several set of gears and bearings in the Curado 300, I just upgraded it to the Stainless Steed gears from the HD :D and it's smoother than any of the Tranx i have handled so far.

The Curado cast a little more forgiving than the Lexa with light stuff so it might be a little more versatile (But distance is about the same) and I expect the Tranx is similar.

If I was buying a new one today it would be a Lexa HD and replace the power handle with a double paddle, they are proven bullet proof, fish really well and are a good bang for my buck.

Kurt