Older Shimano Bantam Scorpion 2000, any info?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
raindance
Angler
Angler

Older Shimano Bantam Scorpion 2000, any info?

Post by raindance » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:08 pm

I was given some reels by my co worker who discovered I am into fishing. One of them was this reel, a bantam scorpion 2000. Cant find any info online, pretty sure this is very old. It does look clean and everything is smooth, will give it a try this weekend. Any info is greatly appreciated.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Older Shimano Bantam Scorpion 2000, any info?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:53 pm

raindance wrote:I was given some reels by my co worker who discovered I am into fishing. One of them was this reel, a bantam scorpion 2000. Cant find any info online, pretty sure this is very old. It does look clean and everything is smooth, will give it a try this weekend. Any info is greatly appreciated.
That is the JDM version of the old green Curado 200B.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 pm

The 2000 was based on the ole Bantam Curado. I believe before the "Greenie" B series. 94Scorpion based on the "Greenie" B was the 1500. I'm not good at being able to upload pictures to show the difference. However, that 2000 is a nice performing reel, and if it's got that whiffle spool in it that had that "titanium" effect look to it, even better.
<")))><{

raindance
Angler
Angler

Post by raindance » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:23 am

Ah i see. That is good to know. Sadly it just has the regular spool. So the parts for the curado 200b is interchangeable, in terms of upgrades? I want to change the handle for sure. I'll

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:40 pm

raindance wrote:Ah i see. That is good to know. Sadly it just has the regular spool. So the parts for the curado 200b is interchangeable, in terms of upgrades? I want to change the handle for sure. I'll
All parts should swap out between the 2 reels. If it fits the Curado, it will fit the Scorpion. Post a pic of the reel, just curious if it's the reel I think it is. I might be way off base here lol, but I think they are the same.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

raindance
Angler
Angler

Post by raindance » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Sorry for the late reply, here are some pictures. It has a weird braking system that just has 2 of those little plastic things for centrifugal.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 am

That's the old Gen 1 Curado frame. When the Curado was silver and black, I think before the "hot tomato" design.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 am

Thats the reel I was thinking it was. Thats a cool ole reel there. Enjoy!
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:44 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
raindance wrote:Ah i see. That is good to know. Sadly it just has the regular spool. So the parts for the curado 200b is interchangeable, in terms of upgrades? I want to change the handle for sure. I'll
All parts should swap out between the 2 reels. If it fits the Curado, it will fit the Scorpion. Post a pic of the reel, just curious if it's the reel I think it is. I might be way off base here lol, but I think they are the same.
All parts should swap out between the 2 reels?

How is this possible? This reel shows a flipping switch. That right there tells me the innerds of this reel will not swap out with any curado reels.

I have never seen a curado b with a flippin' switch though I have been told the first curado did have a flippin switch. When you have a flippin' switch, the innerds are definitely different than any reel that does not have one!

This reel is closer to the old Bantam Black Magnum by design.

Notice on the following reel the placement on the outside of the reel of the flippin' switch location, and thumb screw locations on the black magnum matches almost perfectly the scorpion shown here by the OP.

These reels are pre-curado. Meaning what did not work on these reels never made it to the curado line. The flippin' switch was dropped and insides changed.

Notice when it went to a curado, the flippin switch was dropped. Clutch parts in this reel more than likely will not swap over into your reel directly due to the flippin switch differences in design of parts inside.

There may be a few interchangeable parts between reels, but you would have to make sure by side by side direct comparison for size and shape compatibility. Things like gears, line guide, spool, handle, etc may swap over, but I seriously doubt if internal parts would swap right over seeing how your reel has a flippin' switch and the curados don't.

Oh, and taking apart the black magnums can be a challenge due to the flippin' switch itself. Taking it apart and putting it back together requires knowing how to take it apart and get it back together where it will work again.

On black magnum reels you have to crack open the side plate just a little bit to get a spring removal tool inside to release a spring before it will come apart. And when putting it back together, the reverse holds true. You have to carefully install a spring through the crack between sideplate and frame. Less than 1/4" opening to work inside of reel and can be tricky to those not familiar with it.

Without seeing the schemtatic for your reel, I'd assume disassembly of your reel may be similar to the black magnum.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
All parts should swap out between the 2 reels?

How is this possible? This reel shows a flipping switch. That right there tells me the innerds of this reel will not swap out with any curado reels.

I have never seen a curado with a flippin' switch though I have been told the first curado did have a flippin switch. When you have a flippin' switch, the innerds are definitely different than any reel that does not have one!

This reel is closer to the old Bantam Black Magnum by design.

Notice on the following reel the placement on the outside of the reel of the flippin' switch location, and thumb screw locations on the black magnum matches almost perfectly the scorpion shown here by the OP.

These reels are pre-curado. Meaning what did not work on these reels never made it to the curado line. The flippin' switch was dropped and insides changed.

Notice when it went to a curado, the flippin switch was dropped. Clutch parts in this reel more than likely will not swap over into your reel directly due to the flippin switch differences in design of parts inside.

There may be a few interchangeable parts between reels, but you would have to make sure by side by side direct comparison for size and shape compatibility. Things like gears, line guide, spool, handle, etc may swap over, but I seriously doubt if internal parts would swap right over seeing how your reel has a flippin' switch and the curados don't.

Oh, and taking apart the black magnums can be a challenge due to the flippin' switch itself. Taking it apart and putting it back together requires knowing how to take it apart and get it back together where it will work again.

On black magnum reels you have to crack open the side plate just a little bit to get a spring removal tool inside to release a spring before it will come apart. And when putting it back together, the reverse holds true. You have to carefully install a spring through the crack between sideplate and frame. Less than 1/4" opening to work inside of reel and can be tricky to those not familiar with it.

Without seeing the schemtatic for your reel, I'd assume disassembly of your reel may be similar to the black magnum.
Once again, you are wrong. The reel this coincides with is the Black and Silver Bantam Curado, which had a flipping switch.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:32 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
ShimanoFan wrote: I have never seen a curado with a flippin' switch though I have been told the first curado did have a flippin switch.
Once again, you are wrong. The reel this coincides with is the Black and Silver Bantam Curado, which had a flipping switch.
Wrong again? About what? Everything I said? One part of it? 2 parts of it?

The OP reel also coincides with other Shimano reels made at the same time. The technology used flows around to all of them, not just the one you chose.

My point was not every single part is 100% compatible and interchangeable with curado line. Some, yes. All? I doubt it. Shimano actually goes out of their way to make sure *most* parts are not interchangeable.

And I suggested the op might want to check for compatibility before spending money on parts or reels that may or may not fit his reel.

Truth is you just want me to be wrong on everything. You jump at the chance for some strange reason. My online stalker shadow!

The way I see it my suggestion is a sound one even if you do not approve of reel lineage.

And let me put it this way... I have been using curados since before you were born. Going on nearly 30 year now. And I work on reels in a shop, so I get to see more than the average person does, and I have never seen a curado with a flippin' switch. I did not say it did not exist, as I have heard one does, but since I started with the green bean B series, I have yet to see, own, or work on a curado with a flippin' switch. And that is just my experience as stated and pointing out not all curados can be thought of as direct parts swapping reels is my whole point to even posting.

The discussion should be limited to OP's questioning of compatible parts only which I attempted. All the best!
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:35 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
ShimanoFan wrote: I have never seen a curado with a flippin' switch though I have been told the first curado did have a flippin switch.
Wrong again? About what?

The OP reel also coincides with other Shimano reels made at the same time. The technology used flows around to all of them, not just the one you chose.

My point was not every single part is 100% compatible and interchangeable with curado line. Some, yes. All? I doubt it. Shimano actually goes out of their way to make sure *most* parts are not interchangeable.

And I suggested the op might want to check for compatibility before spending money on parts or reels that may or may not fit his reel.

Truth is you just want me to be wrong on everything. You jump at the chance for some strange reason.

The way I see it my suggestion is a sound one even if you do not approve of lineage.

And let me put it this way... I have been using curados since before you were born. Going on nearly 30 year now. And I work on reels in a shop, so I get to see more than the average person does, and I have never seen a curado with a flippin' switch. I did not say it did not exist, as I have heard one does, but since I started with the green bean B series, I have yet to see, own, or work on a curado with a flippin' switch. And that is just my experience as stated.

The discussion should be limited to OP's questioning of compatible parts only which I attempted. All the best!
You are wrong, because the reel it coincides with is 100% compatible. Which is the Black and Silver Bantam Curado.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Shimano-Ba ... 81181.html
Last edited by LgMouthGambler on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:41 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
You are wrong, because the reel it coincides with is 100% compatible. Which is the Black and Silver Bantam Curado.
Here, let me help you out since you have trouble with comprehension:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
OK, LMG, try and follow along...

these guys were discussing parts compatibility between curado B series with the OP's reel.

Um, not your phantom black and silver reel you want to talk about and judge all is wrong in my words.

Swap reels. Put a green bean in your hands. Find one with a flipping switch, and then get out here and tell everyone how compatible the parts are between the green bean B series I was responding to, and the OP's reel.

Take the floor LMG!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Here, let me help you out since you have trouble with comprehension:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
OK, LMG, try and follow along...

these guys were discussing parts compatibility between curado B series with the OP's reel.

Um, not your phantom black and silver reel you want to talk about and judge all is wrong in my words.

Swap reels. Put a green bean in your hands. Find one with a flipping switch, and then get out here and tell everyone how compatible the parts are between the green bean B series I was responding to, and the OP's reel.

Take the floor LMG!
If you read the page, I corrected them on what they were thinking. And none of your suggestions were right either. I added a link to the proper reel. Ill eat that green bean now. :doh:
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks LMG for the black and silver Curado pic - I had a pic somewhere but couldn't upload it.

Basically the same reel to the Curado in most ways - will be a few parts differing for sure but a majority will swap out - bit like the Flipping Scorpion and the CU 200B; that's what I was also thinking the OP was heading down. But this reel is a true gem! Nothing like having an original sister reel to an original Bantam Curado IMHO.