Ryoga 2020 Thumb Bar Issue

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BazDaBarra
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Ryoga 2020 Thumb Bar Issue

Post by BazDaBarra » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 am

After each cast my beloved Ryoga 2020 thumb bar is not returning to position when I wind the handle.

I look forward to your advice on how to fix.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Ryoga 2020 Thumb Bar Issue

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:41 am

Sounds like either the pinion gear has a burr on it that wont let the pinion gear slide freely inside the lower pinion bearing race, or the clutch yoke springs need to be replaced. It could possibly be a combination of both those things.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Sounds like either the pinion gear has a burr on it that wont let the pinion gear slide freely inside the lower pinion bearing race, or the clutch yoke springs need to be replaced. It could possibly be a combination of both those things.
What about the cog and kicklever system? Maybe the cog on the driveshaft is rounding edges?
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:07 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Sounds like either the pinion gear has a burr on it that wont let the pinion gear slide freely inside the lower pinion bearing race, or the clutch yoke springs need to be replaced. It could possibly be a combination of both those things.
What about the cog and kicklever system? Maybe the cog on the driveshaft is rounding edges?
Yep, could be that also. I mentioned pinion gear damage and weak springs, as they are more common problems. Those 2 things are what I check first if a reel comes across my bench with that problem description.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Yep, could be that also. I mentioned pinion gear damage and weak springs, as they are more common problems. Those 2 things are what I check first if a reel comes across my bench with that problem description.
Gotcha. Im not familiar with a Ryoga, as Ive never been inside one. I imagine it cant be too different from any other round reel.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:44 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Gotcha. Im not familiar with a Ryoga, as Ive never been inside one. I imagine it cant be too different from any other round reel.
It's very similar to other Daiwa reels. I've also been in a Pluton a few times, which is almost identical to the Ryoga.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

You should open it up and take some pictures.

BazDaBarra
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BazDaBarra » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:34 am

Thanks folks for the advice. I will open it up for a look and provide feedback.