Need some advice: Metanium MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
CaptPeteJ
Angler
Angler

Need some advice: Metanium MGL

Post by CaptPeteJ » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:54 am

Hey Guys, New to posting here, been lurking for a while. I'm super new to reel tuning/self maintenance, but I have a pretty mechanical background, rebuilt lots of motors/gadgets over the years. I've been a Daiwa fanboy (OG Zillion, SV103's, Tatulas, Steez SV, Steez svtw), recently I decided to try out a Shimano, figured I owed it to myself to try.

So I picked up a metanium MGL from Japan. I live in the north, we have hard water right now... so I have time. What would you suggest doing to this reel before the season starts? I've read some about switching the gear grease to Shimano DG06 to help with the noise/feel, and I've heard of flushing the spool bearings out prior to use. Both of those worth the time? I'm pretty set on sticking with the aluminum gears for now.

I'll be honest, Ive never done either on my Daiwas... and wondering if I should be?? Any bearings I should add to the Met right off the getgo too?

My most recent reel prior to this Met was a Steez SVTW which has HH AirHD bearings and was tuned by TT, so now I'm spoiled... Thinking I want to do a little to this metanium, then probably a spool upgrade to one of the SV103's and possibly a bearing upgrade on the Steez SV.

Just looking for some advice from folks that have more experience.

Thanks,
Pete

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need some advice: Metanium MGL

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:52 pm

1st welcome to TT!

Nice choice for a Shimano reel. Lot of options...

1. I would suggest trying it stock. That way when you apply any upgrades you can judge for yourself if there is a difference.

2. You can buy a set of brass gears for it. Many have done this with great success. The stock gears, at least on by 8:5 will get a bit rough feeling with regular use. Greasing them helps but it is more or less a temp fix to a permanent problem.

3. ZPI bearings are great but flushing the stocking bearings and relubing with a quality oil is a good starting point.

4. The handle length and the drag seem to be excellent. Not really much need to upgrade either.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm

It will accept a bearing on the worm gear. Same as knob bearing size.

CaptPeteJ
Angler
Angler

Post by CaptPeteJ » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:32 pm

thanks guys, think I'm just gonna flush and relate the bearings, and focus on some gearing changes on a few other reels instead.

Went out and made a few casts on it with the new Zbone, can't wait for spring!