Metanium DC thoughts?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Metanium DC thoughts?

Post by karirick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:35 am

Anyone excited for this reel? I'm in a semi-permanent holding pattern with my gear; but still follow everything on here daily.

Rick

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium DC thoughts?

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:59 am

DC technology is awesome!

Give it a try!
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:08 am

The DC whine is annoying as hell in the 2015 Mets. It doesn't sound cool like many other DC reels.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 am

SSS wrote:The DC whine is annoying as hell in the 2015 Mets. It doesn't sound cool like many other DC reels.
I like the whine! When I use full ceramic bearings dry in any of my reels it whines during the cast. I have come to use it's sound to help with the casting.

And when Shimano executives visited our shop earlier this year for ICAST, I was told by a shimano executive face to face that Shimano actually put the "whine" into the curado DC on purpose.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

gefrank
Angler
Angler

Post by gefrank » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:41 am

Had the MET DC, it was inconsistant in casting. i even compared it with another unit from a friend of mine.
It thinks it knows what to do based on how fast the spool spins (= how hard you swing.
However, there are many types of casts required in my fishing. etc long distance, short disc or underhand.
And these opportunities (fish sighting/surfacing) comes randomly in a limited time (few secs)

The reel would just freak out when ever another technique is used on the next cast.
Never touched another DC ever since.
But i can vouch for the ANtares DC for the distance.

Thumb training is still better, cuz your brain tells it what to do next on every cast.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:28 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
SSS wrote:The DC whine is annoying as hell in the 2015 Mets. It doesn't sound cool like many other DC reels.
I like the whine! When I use full ceramic bearings dry in any of my reels it whines during the cast. I have come to use it's sound to help with the casting.

And when Shimano executives visited our shop earlier this year for ICAST, I was told by a shimano executive face to face that Shimano actually put the "whine" into the curado DC on purpose.
Well of course its on there on purpose. It wouldn't be much of a DC reel (look how poorly the first scorpion DC sold) if it didn't have any whine. Curado DC whine isn't annoying at all. It sounds like a proper DC reel, even a bit more silen than usual. 2015 Met DC on the other hand sounds like a toy, not a TRANSFORMER.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:26 am

SSS wrote:
ShimanoFan wrote:

Well of course its on there on purpose. It wouldn't be much of a DC reel (look how poorly the first scorpion DC sold) if it didn't have any whine. Curado DC whine isn't annoying at all. It sounds like a proper DC reel, even a bit more silen than usual. 2015 Met DC on the other hand sounds like a toy, not a TRANSFORMER.
I apologize I thought this was a new 2019 reel; but looks like it's the same one that's been around for years. My mistake.

Thanks for the replies.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm

I purchased this reel last year at japan lure shop, fished it maybe 6 months and sold it. At the end of the day/whine, it’s just another reel. My metanium mgl casted farther with heavy baits & had way better control with lighter baits

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I had the 15Metanium DC when it first came out. Nothing to write home about. Sold it off.
<")))><{

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:15 am

I’m also not a big fan of the 2015 Met DC. Fished mine for two seasons hard and also felt that it was nothing to write home about. Besides the cool DC whine, I don’t think it offers any real world advantages over a regular Met. My current favorite is the Bantam MGL. Now that’s a solid performer that’s worth a look if you haven’t already.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

gefrank
Angler
Angler

Post by gefrank » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm

MaxZmus wrote:I’m also not a big fan of the 2015 Met DC. Fished mine for two seasons hard and also felt that it was nothing to write home about. Besides the cool DC whine, I don’t think it offers any real world advantages over a regular Met. My current favorite is the Bantam MGL. Now that’s a solid performer that’s worth a look if you haven’t already.
Totally agree, The Bantam MGL impressed alot more than all the other reels i ever own combined.
It's about time they slap on the MGL on a Conquest.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 am

I own 2 Met DC...can compare them with anything...in my opinion these is a reel that doesnt go wrong never ever...hard to beat...total control and easy to use every single time...

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm

According to some of the iCast videos I've seen like on tackle warehouse the metanium DC is a new version this year. Is that correct?
My assumption is it's different than the 2015 version.

Also I bought one around Xmas and I tried to open the side plate to adjust which type of line I'd be using and I can not get that thing open. Is there a trick to it? thanks

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:According to some of the iCast videos I've seen like on tackle warehouse the metanium DC is a new version this year. Is that correct?
My assumption is it's different than the 2015 version.

Also I bought one around Xmas and I tried to open the side plate to adjust which type of line I'd be using and I can not get that thing open. Is there a trick to it? thanks
For the external settings dial, did you rotate it to the open setting?

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Unbelievable, it couldn't have been much easier when you rotate that dial!! :)