Steez CT SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez CT SV TW

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:58 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:At 30mm O.D., I dont think the spool would need to be shallow to be a BFS spool. Even a deep spool wont hold much line with that small an O.D.
65 yards of 14 lb... So on and so forth
Which means way too much 6 or 8
Don't forget, the SV spools are designed to be filled only halfway for BFS, to make the spool lighter and more capable with light lines and lures.
Yeah, but then your retrieve rate is considerably slower.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:44 pm

TravisNY wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:At 30mm O.D., I dont think the spool would need to be shallow to be a BFS spool. Even a deep spool wont hold much line with that small an O.D.
65 yards of 14 lb... So on and so forth
Which means way too much 6 or 8
Sir of course the same could be typed for every spinning reel I have used for smallmouth for forty years (before shallow spools or included arbors with Zebco Cardinals). Nothing some backing won't cure. I'm liking this reel for my river smallie uses with a F1 and small top waters. I'll be interested to see if any US staffers appear with it in hand in upcoming clips. Last year at this time Zona and Feider showed off the Ryoga in these same clips and of course here it was. I see the Alphas Air just hit TW. May be a good sign for availability of this one here. We'll see.
Adding backing to a spinning reel doesn't really effect the performance all. Not so with a baitcaster. If you're adding backing, you're adding unnecessary mass and that simply won't do.
This is the way.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:42 pm

There are specs available. Also told, that casts ~3g and less lures as good as Air series, but with more line capacity!

STEEZ CT SV TW 700 H 59 cm 6.3: 1 150 g 4.5 kg 8 Lb - 50 to 100 m / 10 Lb - 40 to 80 m / 12 Lb - 35 to 70 m / 14 Lb - 30 to 60 m 30 mm 12 58,800 yen

STEEZ CT SV TW 700 XH 76 cm 8.1: 1 150 g 4.5 kg 8 Lb - 50 to 100 m / 10 Lb - 40 to 80 m / 12 Lb - 35 to 70 m / 14 Lb - 30 to 60 m 30 mm 12 58,800 yen

https://basser.tsuribito.co.jp/advpost/steez-ct-sv-tw

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:03 am

What are the benefits of that Steez CT and 30mm spool vs standard 34mm Steez SV TW? Cast lures from 1g to 3g?!

I can easily go down to 3g with my 34mm Steez SV TW ,if I need to. In real life though, I don't cast anything lower than 1/4Oz in any bass fishing applications.

http://www.daiwa.com/global/ja/fishings ... index.html

I can cast same worm with a standard 34mm Steez SV TW and My Poison Glorious 62BFS-L rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:40 am

Was super interested in this reel...not as much anymore until I read some good on the water reviews.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote: Don't forget, the SV spools are designed to be filled only halfway for BFS, to make the spool lighter and more capable with light lines and lures.
I have tried to do this a few times and my thumb/brain cannot handle it. Just that 1/8" or so of empty space throws me off. I am cranky they didn't make it a 31mm so there is another Pixy spool option, but I got tiny hands and am a sucker for compact reels, so I am interested.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:11 pm

I wonder if they stick with this whole T-wing/CT/SV TW style that we will ever get another SS/SV style. Would be cool to see a Steez SV TW (CT or regular) with a cheaper frame material like Zaion for a cheaper than premium price. It would be a cool way to get people into the higher end Daiwa's with a mid-low $300 price range. I figure there is no point in this because of the Steez A, but was cool to imagine.

I am kind of shocked that there is no Zillion mentioned. We have the lowest end Tatula CT replaced (Tatula 100), the highest end Steez SV TW replaced (Steez SV TW CT), a revamp of a beloved discontinued finesse reel (Alphas SV CT 70), a revamp of a round reel (Millionaire), but no mid range and no Type R/SV of the Tatula 100.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:07 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I wonder if they stick with this whole T-wing/CT/SV TW style that we will ever get another SS/SV style. Would be cool to see a Steez SV TW (CT or regular) with a cheaper frame material like Zaion for a cheaper than premium price. It would be a cool way to get people into the higher end Daiwa's with a mid-low $300 price range. I figure there is no point in this because of the Steez A, but was cool to imagine.

I am kind of shocked that there is no Zillion mentioned. We have the lowest end Tatula CT replaced (Tatula 100), the highest end Steez SV TW replaced (Steez SV TW CT), a revamp of a beloved discontinued finesse reel (Alphas SV CT 70), a revamp of a round reel (Millionaire), but no mid range and no Type R/SV of the Tatula 100.
It's still early. I'm sure all of the cats aren't out of the bag yet.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:54 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I wonder if they stick with this whole T-wing/CT/SV TW style that we will ever get another SS/SV style. Would be cool to see a Steez SV TW (CT or regular) with a cheaper frame material like Zaion for a cheaper than premium price. It would be a cool way to get people into the higher end Daiwa's with a mid-low $300 price range. I figure there is no point in this because of the Steez A, but was cool to imagine.

At icast, the US Daiwa folks were adamant that the zillion was going the way of the dodo and pixy. I could not believe them and after the show I wondered if that meant usdm market only; the ct version only. The plastic looking tatula 100 adorned with more plastic was the star of that show so I also wondered if all my questions about future zillion were simply out of place with possible info that they could not yet reveal. All they kept insisting is that it will be gone as a model. Shortly thereafter the JDM HD and HLC versions came out. So now I wonder if they were referring to ct versions only, USDM market or what. I don’t know. But with that, I suppose I have not been holding breath for a zillion.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:49 am

Shame, because IMHO the Zillion SV TW is the best all around bass reel ever produced. It just doesn't yet have the benefit of nostalgia and is in a sea of other offerings.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm

I just realized something sad about the Alphas CT SV 70...

Since this small spool reduces IPT a good bit, the 7.2 is going to be too slow for my liking. If you multiply 30mm by pi, then multiply by 7.2, then convert from mm to inches, you only get like 26.7 inches per turn. This is slower than a 6 gear Zillion TWS and more like the 6 speed Zillion SV TW. Not a big deal, but I have a really hard time purchasing a baitcaster with a retrieve speed lower than 30 inches per turn. I am almost sure this is why they are offering the Steez CT SV TW in an 8 gear ratio.

The math on the Steez CT IPT:
30mm x pi(3.14..........)=94.24777.... this is spool circumference
94.2477... x 8.1 turns =763.407..... this is mm per turn
Convert to Inches=30.05.... inches

Steez SV TW 8.1
34mm x pi(3.14....)=106.814.....
106.814... x 8.1 turns=865.1946.....
Convert to Inches=34.06... inches (right at what Daiwa claims)

No big deal for the Steez CT's retrieve rate, but not really interested in the Alphas revamp if it is that slow.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:58 pm

I can't retrieve my finesse baits slow enough sometimes. The slower I go the more I get bit it seems like. My SS SV BFS is a 5 speed for this very reason. For a finesse reel the speed of the Alphas CT 70 should be plenty fast. I use my Alphas SV almost exclusively to skip docks and have never felt like it was anything approaching slow.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:43 pm

LowRange wrote:I can't retrieve my finesse baits slow enough sometimes. The slower I go the more I get bit it seems like. My SS SV BFS is a 5 speed for this very reason. For a finesse reel the speed of the Alphas CT 70 should be plenty fast. I use my Alphas SV almost exclusively to skip docks and have never felt like it was anything approaching slow.
I agree, just personally wouldn't want my Alphas (SV105) HS any slower. I do seem to catch fish well on it, I even changed a 9.1 Zillion to a 7.3 for this reason. Now if Daiwa uses that new 8.6 ratio from the Morethan SV TW reel, a 30mm spool would match nice with it. Maybe that will line out for a new Zillion SV or Tatula SV. Early post makes me sad to think Daiwa would do away with the Zillion name.

9.1 gear w/ 34mm spool:
slightly over 38 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 30mm spool:
right around 33.7 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 36mm spool (1516 Zillion):
around 40.5 IPT

The 8.6 in a reel with the 30mm spool:
31.9 IPT
The 8.6 ratio of the new Morethan with a 34mm spool:
36.2 IPT

Conclusion is for my style and needs, the super high speed gears would work great with the smaller 30mm spool.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:08 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:I can't retrieve my finesse baits slow enough sometimes. The slower I go the more I get bit it seems like. My SS SV BFS is a 5 speed for this very reason. For a finesse reel the speed of the Alphas CT 70 should be plenty fast. I use my Alphas SV almost exclusively to skip docks and have never felt like it was anything approaching slow.
I agree, just personally wouldn't want my Alphas (SV105) HS any slower. I do seem to catch fish well on it, I even changed a 9.1 Zillion to a 7.3 for this reason. Now if Daiwa uses that new 8.6 ratio from the Morethan SV TW reel, a 30mm spool would match nice with it. Maybe that will line out for a new Zillion SV or Tatula SV. Early post makes me sad to think Daiwa would do away with the Zillion name.

9.1 gear w/ 34mm spool:
slightly over 38 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 30mm spool:
right around 33.7 IPT
around 40.5 IPT

31.9 IPT
36.2 IPT

Conclusion is for my style and needs, the super high speed gears would work great with the smaller 30mm spool.
My concerns of these "high speed" reels. Needing to utilize a 9 ratio to negate 33IPT means smaller teeth on the gears. Smaller teeth equals less rigidity, and shorter life span. Not a fan myself. I see the many issues being had with Shimanos "micro modules" and its a complete turn off for me.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:32 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

9.1 gear w/ 34mm spool:
slightly over 38 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 30mm spool:
right around 33.7 IPT
around 40.5 IPT

31.9 IPT
36.2 IPT

My concerns of these "high speed" reels. Needing to utilize a 9 ratio to negate 33IPT means smaller teeth on the gears. Smaller teeth equals less rigidity, and shorter life span. Not a fan myself. I see the many issues being had with Shimanos "micro modules" and its a complete turn off for me.
Very good point. It also forces the potential of using a bigger gear itself and bigger gear box if they do compensate by not shrinking teeth/gear size down. This was just something fun I felt like messing with. The furthest/lightest casting reel I have at the moment is a Zillion TWS with the DIY spool (should have bought 2-3) and it has a 36mm spool. Big, solid, finesse capable reel. One of my favorites after adding the spool to it.