Steez CT SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez CT SV TW

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:12 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:I can't retrieve my finesse baits slow enough sometimes. The slower I go the more I get bit it seems like. My SS SV BFS is a 5 speed for this very reason. For a finesse reel the speed of the Alphas CT 70 should be plenty fast. I use my Alphas SV almost exclusively to skip docks and have never felt like it was anything approaching slow.
I agree, just personally wouldn't want my Alphas (SV105) HS any slower. I do seem to catch fish well on it, I even changed a 9.1 Zillion to a 7.3 for this reason. Now if Daiwa uses that new 8.6 ratio from the Morethan SV TW reel, a 30mm spool would match nice with it. Maybe that will line out for a new Zillion SV or Tatula SV. Early post makes me sad to think Daiwa would do away with the Zillion name.

9.1 gear w/ 34mm spool:
slightly over 38 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 30mm spool:
right around 33.7 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 36mm spool (1516 Zillion):
around 40.5 IPT

The 8.6 in a reel with the 30mm spool:
31.9 IPT
The 8.6 ratio of the new Morethan with a 34mm spool:
36.2 IPT

Conclusion is for my style and needs, the super high speed gears would work great with the smaller 30mm spool.
My concerns of these "high speed" reels. Needing to utilize a 9 ratio to negate 33IPT means smaller teeth on the gears. Smaller teeth equals less rigidity, and shorter life span. Not a fan myself. I see the many issues being had with Shimanos "micro modules" and its a complete turn off for me.
What issues are you seeing with micro module gears?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:09 am

Sore Thumb wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:I can't retrieve my finesse baits slow enough sometimes. The slower I go the more I get bit it seems like. My SS SV BFS is a 5 speed for this very reason. For a finesse reel the speed of the Alphas CT 70 should be plenty fast. I use my Alphas SV almost exclusively to skip docks and have never felt like it was anything approaching slow.
I agree, just personally wouldn't want my Alphas (SV105) HS any slower. I do seem to catch fish well on it, I even changed a 9.1 Zillion to a 7.3 for this reason. Now if Daiwa uses that new 8.6 ratio from the Morethan SV TW reel, a 30mm spool would match nice with it. Maybe that will line out for a new Zillion SV or Tatula SV. Early post makes me sad to think Daiwa would do away with the Zillion name.

9.1 gear w/ 34mm spool:
slightly over 38 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 30mm spool:
right around 33.7 IPT
around 40.5 IPT

31.9 IPT
36.2 IPT

Conclusion is for my style and needs, the super high speed gears would work great with the smaller 30mm spool.
My concerns of these "high speed" reels. Needing to utilize a 9 ratio to negate 33IPT means smaller teeth on the gears. Smaller teeth equals less rigidity, and shorter life span. Not a fan myself. I see the many issues being had with Shimanos "micro modules" and its a complete turn off for me.
They get noisey fast. Geary sounding. Especially down here where we tend to fish in some chit. They dont stay smooth long. For instance, my CU/CI200E7 hybrid is smoother than my 14Scorpion HG. Both have about the same amount of time and fish on the gear sets. Scorpion is already not as smooth as it was. (Yes ive already changed the pinion bearings and relubed the reel, first thing I did out of the box. Lol.)
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:10 am

On the subject of "micro gears" I wonder if Daiwa will expand that technology to other reels? If I am not wrong, they are only in and have EVER been in the newest Ryoga. Seems counter intuitive to me on account of so many people claim the gears in the current Steez SV TW/A are about as smooth as you can get, especially for being aluminum (I know a few other super high end reels are said to be more smooth).

Actually, I haven't heard many reviews or feedback at all on the Hyper Mesh gearing in the new Ryoga...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sore Thumb wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

9.1 gear w/ 34mm spool:
slightly over 38 IPT
9.1 gear w/ 30mm spool:
right around 33.7 IPT
around 40.5 IPT

31.9 IPT
36.2 IPT

They get noisey fast. Geary sounding. Especially down here where we tend to fish in some chit. They dont stay smooth long. For instance, my CU/CI200E7 hybrid is smoother than my 14Scorpion HG. Both have about the same amount of time and fish on the gear sets. Scorpion is already not as smooth as it was. (Yes ive already changed the pinion bearings and relubed the reel, first thing I did out of the box. Lol.)
The 14 Scorpion isn't a micro mod gear reel is it? If that is the JDM Curado I then it is normal for those reels to get geary with use. There are lots of reports of the Curado I and 70 getting noisy/geary over time. Ironically your best bet may be to attempt a micro mod gear swap from an Engetsu.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 am

Don't think there is a Scorpion in production with micro gears as of now. I series and 70 both are known for being "geary" as previously stated. Brass micro gears don't seem to get bad reputations like the aluminum Metanium micro gears do. Some people have spoken of the Chronarch MGL gears getting rough, but I have experienced it to be one of my smoothest reels after moderate use.

Some people on here get to fish as much as I dream about, I get 1-2 times a week if lucky and those aren't always full day trips. I guarantee there are people on here who could make any reel wear out. Just have to weed through responses and use the general consensus to shape your opinions. There have unfortunately been more than a few negatives concerning aluminum micro gears and Tackle Trap even offers a solution so they are generally viewed as problematic.

Same as Tackle Trap offering the "white ramp" replacement, automatically makes me think the black older style inductor ramp is obsolete (mine were all fine, went with the majority though and replaced them anyways).

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks

Dam0007
Angler
Angler

Post by Dam0007 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm

poisonokie wrote:Shame, because IMHO the Zillion SV TW is the best all around bass reel ever produced. It just doesn't yet have the benefit of nostalgia and is in a sea of other offerings.
+1 and it’s over priced
CT BASS Nation

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 am

Cracker wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:03 am
What are the benefits of that Steez CT and 30mm spool vs standard 34mm Steez SV TW? Cast lures from 1g to 3g?!
Benefit is that in similar cast (=same lure speed), 30 mm spool needs starting energy aproximately (30^3) / (34^3) = 69% of 34 mm spools energy. :) High spool staring inertia is advantage in very few cese but low inertia is usually good and make casting more relax.
--------
And in practice, yeah it indeed starts to rotate effortlessly. I would say practically as easy as 34 mm finesse spools. But it can hold a lot of more line. I can’t wait my 30 mm finesse spool.