Lightest backing line

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
md11hog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Lightest backing line

Post by md11hog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm trying to decide which line to use as backing on my low-profile bait casters. Is braid lighter by volume ? Do you guys have any thoughts about saving on spool weight?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Lightest backing line

Post by Cracker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, braid is the lightest.
I do use a braid as backing now.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:39 pm

I’ve wondered about this. I tend to agree, but what about when wet? Maybe a coated version perhaps? Hmm…

Other thing is tying braid direct, not something many have success with. I’d give it a few yards of grippy mono myself. Braid main, braid backing, whatever. I’ve used braid backing, gave it a shot, but one time in particular I recall seriously losing control of the spool and it was an absolute nightmare. Afterward I kind of gave up on the concept. Not to dissuade anyone, but since that time I’ve wondered if gain was perceived or indeed real. I’m honestly not so sure.
PEACE

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:I’ve wondered about this. I tend to agree, but what about when wet? Maybe a coated version perhaps? Hmm…

Other thing is tying braid direct, not something many have success with. I’d give it a few yards of grippy mono myself. Braid main, braid backing, whatever. I’ve used braid backing, gave it a shot, but one time in particular I recall seriously losing control of the spool and it was an absolute nightmare. Afterward I kind of gave up on the concept. Not to dissuade anyone, but since that time I’ve wondered if gain was perceived or indeed real. I’m honestly not so sure.
I feel gains are perceived. I tie braid directly to spool and fill them up on all my reels to begin with. I then as the braid gets used will pull it off and add mono to the base enough to get the braid on top to full again. Will not notice any loss of distance at all. I have duplicate set-ups with curado 70 reels and 7'M/F smoke rods one has full spool of braid the other is around half full of mono backing braid on top. Will use both to throw ikas or paddletails mostly and distance effort if any difference is not noticeable. Even down to a 1/20 ned rid cant tell benefit of straight braid.
Just because a pro posted a vid doing it lots of people followed and joined the bandwagon.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:24 am

Using heavy braid to take up the unneeded capacity does save weight. It doesn't require much at all. With all the emphasis we put on getting the lightest possible spools it seems like a no brainer. On the other hand, it does leave you with a rather sizable leader knot that creates a noticeable bump which gets more noticeable as your mainline casts off and if you cast enough off it can catch the leader knot. So the best thing, obviously, is to get a shallow spool for which you don't need backing, but it's worth it IMHO for lighter baits and lighter line if you don't have that option.
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:46 pm

poisonokie wrote:Using heavy braid to take up the unneeded capacity does save weight. It doesn't require much at all. With all the emphasis we put on getting the lightest possible spools it seems like a no brainer. On the other hand, it does leave you with a rather sizable leader knot that creates a noticeable bump which gets more noticeable as your mainline casts off and if you cast enough off it can catch the leader knot. So the best thing, obviously, is to get a shallow spool for which you don't need backing, but it's worth it IMHO for lighter baits and lighter line if you don't have that option.
I run very little mainline most of the time, like half of a 1016 spool usual. I back with braid for both weight reasons and to become "emergency" line if I am out with a single combo far from my car and have a little incident.

I deal with the knot by making sure that it lands in the middle of the spool and then using my fingernail or a blunt needle to push the knot into the braid a little, then use a very small tab of good electricians' tape to cover it. Once the mainline gets a wrap or two on the tape it holds perfectly and keeps any remaining knot-bump from being an issue.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:19 pm

That makes sense. I'm about to peel off an entire 1516 spool of 20# fluoro and fill it 90% of the way with braid since I never cast with the rod it's on and the weight savings will really help with pitching. I lived with it for a year and have a few months before I use it again, but I'll definitely tape the knot down like that.
This is the way.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:49 pm

One can always push that knot and bury it into the line wraps. Of course it's a gambling that you will never need to have your line unspooled to that spot. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

md11hog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by md11hog » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:57 am

#1 Don't use electrical tape to smooth down the knot. The adhesive will get gummy and messy in the heat. Use painters tape. I really have had great luck with it and it limits the depth of any backlashes.
#2 After I started this thread,I ordered a scale to find out.  My initial reading is this: on my Curado 200Is', a spool filled all braid weighed 24 grams and full mono weighed 32.  so half spooling with braid you could save 4-5 grams (about 20-25% spool weight) As you move toward lighter lures and reels, you can see how much the Japanese will spend to save that much spool weight So I'm going to follow Aaron Martens lead and advice and use old braid as backing on all my bait casters.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 pm

md11hog wrote:#1 Don't use electrical tape to smooth down the knot. The adhesive will get gummy and messy in the heat. Use painters tape. I really have had great luck with it and it limits the depth of any backlashes.
#2 After I started this thread,I ordered a scale to find out.  My initial reading is this: on my Curado 200Is', a spool filled all braid weighed 24 grams and full mono weighed 32.  so half spooling with braid you could save 4-5 grams (about 20-25% spool weight) As you move toward lighter lures and reels, you can see how much the Japanese will spend to save that much spool weight So I'm going to follow Aaron Martens lead and advice and use old braid as backing on all my bait casters.
Just masking tape or the blue stuff or frog tape? Does it matter?
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 pm

High-quality electricians tape doesn’t leave much of a residue, atleast the “oh man I can’t believe I just paid seven dollars for a roll of tape” tape that I’ve been using for the past couple years never seems to leave anything behind, even when I use it to secure braid to the spool.

md11hog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by md11hog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 am

just the 3/4 inch wide blue stuff in a strip about 1.5 inches long, I stand corrected on nice electrical tape but I've made some real messes with the cheap stuff

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm

md11hog wrote:just the 3/4 inch wide blue stuff in a strip about 1.5 inches long, I stand corrected on nice electrical tape but I've made some real messes with the cheap stuff
I have had cheap e-tape melt on the roll in my tool bag when left in a hot car. I wasnt even aware there was a higher grade of e-tape available until I borrowed a roll off of a commercial electrician I was working alongside.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:07 pm

I am an industrial electrical maintenance technician. I completely agree about good tape. Q: Highest quality electrical tape? A: Super 33+
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:52 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I am an industrial electrical maintenance technician. I completely agree about good tape. Q: Highest quality electrical tape? A: Super 33+
Yup. That’s the stuff I use on my braid backing, and only stuff I use for electrical work.