Daiwa Zillion TW HD 2018

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
trevor60
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Zillion TW HD 2018

Post by trevor60 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 am

Good Evening

I am looking for feedback on this reel, because it uses an aluminum frame and side plate(s).

Can you share your thoughts and experiences

Size in hand, comfort, height
What you use or would use the reel for
Castability
Do you like the foam handle knobs.

I am looking at this or the Steez A TW... there is lots of discussion about the Steez.

I plan to use the reel for a lipless crankbait set up. This is my favourite technique so all new reels start out here and move to other applications... I prefer horizontal moving baits and rarely fish vertically or skip docks.

On an unrelated note i am up to 7 Rapala Concept ti rods. Thanks TT and Cal for your review.

All the best
Trevor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion TW HD 2018

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:09 pm

Unfortunately it is a fixed inductor spool. It has Magforce rather than Magforce Z. This is usually a bad thing but you never know for sure until someone gets their hands on one as early adopter and provides feedback. There is currently no feedback on how the reel performs. It is also derived from the old Tatula platform and is very wide. I'd opt for the new Morethan PE if you want dual aluminum side plates. It is based off the Steez A platform and has Magforce Z braking and a ton of spool options. This reels looks promising.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:14 am

thank you appreciate you pointing out the differences.

Trevor

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am

trevor60 wrote:
Can you share your thoughts and experiences

Size in hand, comfort, height
What you use or would use the reel for
Castability
Do you like the foam handle knobs.

I am looking at this or the Steez A TW... there is lots of discussion about the Steez.

I plan to use the reel for a lipless crankbait set up. This is my favourite technique so all new reels start out here and move to other applications... I prefer horizontal moving baits and rarely fish vertically or skip docks.

On an unrelated note i am up to 7 Rapala Concept ti rods.
As Lowrange said, no one has really jumped on this reel and talked about it. It carries a 1520 spool, which is the same size at my Daiwa Battler. This reel actually carries the same frame size and weight as the Battler.
I actually like the size of this platform, it fits very well in hand, but it's going to be a personal preference thing, just like the foam knobs (personally not a fan)
The reel is going to weigh about 8.5 oz with line. Unless you are putting this on one of Rapala TI's 7'6 plus rods it's going to feel a little unbalanced I believe. The weight would actually probobly work out well on any of the rods above that length.
The selling points of this reel are the rigidity, spool capacity, drag, magseal, and handle length. Most of these selling points are conducive to bigger baits, bigger fish, or deep water. If you are yo'yoing a TN70 in 30ft. of water, on a 7'9 rod and you like foam knobs this reel might be a good option. If that is not your intended use, I would lean toward the Steez A, which could be had for the same price, or if your willing to wait and spend the extra cash the Morethan that LowRange mentioned.
If you did get the HD you could put in a 1514 or 1516 HLC spool and simply launch 1/2oz plus lipless crankbaits.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks AquaFTM45

This reel would be going on a 7'9" rod. i have noticed in the past 6oz reels don't balance out the system quite as well as 7oz+ reels.
Upgrading the spool would seem to compliment the reel and my fishing better and is a consideration. Upgrading the spool would cost more than the Morethan which would seem to be the better option, with some additional preferred features.

I really am starting to like the thought of getting the Steez A TW; was leaving my options opens in searching out 150 size reels as the type of lipless crankbait fishing I do benefits from long cast reels.

Trevor

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:40 am

They look like badass reels. Have you considered new hlc 1516? It's essentially the new tw hd minus magsealed bearings. It will bomb out heavier lipless cranks. Steez A are nice too, i just find the hlc more fun for this kind of stuff.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:25 am

The stock Zilion TW spools should work in the HD. They are 1516 so not quite the capacity of the 1520. Indeed the new Zillion HLC is very nice reel.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am

I think for frogs it would be great, though I don't know if all that line capacity is really necessary. Magforce Z is designed to be better for slow speed pitching and skipping, short to mid range accuracy, lighter baits, etc. For long range casting with heavier stuff Magforce may actually have the edge. Never know til you try it. My latest acquisition has a fixed rotor, but it's for short to mid range casting with UL baits, but it still gets great distance and pitches respectably.
This is the way.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I will take a hard look at the HLC seems to have the features we want with the bonus of having a 1516 spool vs 1520 spool.

Trevor

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:50 pm

trevor60 wrote:Thanks to everyone for their input.

I will take a hard look at the HLC seems to have the features we want with the bonus of having a 1516 spool vs 1520 spool.

Trevor
For every sale lost there is a sale gained. Thanks to me looking into this reel so hard, I think I have found my 1st swimbait setup...
Zillion HD paired with a 1516HLC spool, equiped with a Studio Composite 102MM Special Edition Carbon Handle/knobs, strapped onto a Evergreen GT-X...

That is depending on what comes out of the Japanese Fishing Shows in early 2019...will take me at least until then to save the money up.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:48 pm

I guess I'm a little late. I have a Diawa Zillion HD Mag Sealed in 7.3 to 1. The handle was just to large for me as were the foam grips. I dropped to a 90 MM handle. Line capacity is substantial on my stock spool. Hat supersized me is the ability to pitch plastics with a little 1/4 ounce. The platform's size is like my original Tatula 100. I have big hands to the reel palms fine. I have it matched to a Dobyns DX795. I got a fantastic deal on it so I can't complain. I could see it making a super SB reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:40 am

Dink Dawg wrote:I guess I'm a little late. I have a Diawa Zillion HD Mag Sealed in 7.3 to 1. The handle was just to large for me as were the foam grips. I dropped to a 90 MM handle. Line capacity is substantial on my stock spool. Hat supersized me is the ability to pitch plastics with a little 1/4 ounce. The platform's size is like my original Tatula 100. I have big hands to the reel palms fine. I have it matched to a Dobyns DX795. I got a fantastic deal on it so I can't complain. I could see it making a super SB reel.
I wish they'd get the DIY spools back in stock. Really wakes that reel up and I am a fan on the platform too. Really like smaller reels better, but the size of the Zillion TWS was never a bother.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Just got my used Zillion HD in for my Huyga 72H. 1016 reels just don't have the capacity for the types of baits I throw on that rod. Kept spooling my TD Zillions and 1016 reels throwing bigger frogs, ploppers ect.

The reel feels solid but is definitely not refined. You can tell it is not cut from the same cloth as a TD Zillion. It's more high end Tatula. Its a lightly used 8:1 but it already has some gear whine and while smooth isn't very refined. Good enough. Would have never payed $400 for one of these. My "like new" has a number of marks in the paint I didn't notice and wish I payed closer to $250 shipped instead of $328 shipped. Live and learn with eBay.

This one has the Catalina TW spool with it too for 65# braid use bombing frogs. Love walking banks crawling big frogs over the summer with the Hyuga. Curious to see how the Catalina spool behaves in the Zillion HD. The stock spool and Catalina TW spool have slightly different shaft lengths. I have to back off the spool tension when dropping in the Catalina spool.

Stock fixed inductor spool seems heavily braked but that should be good with big baits and heavy mono line. If I want a fast spool with braid then that is what the Catalina TW spool is for.

Going to take it out this weekend and throw some ploppers with both spools to see how it does. Hoping this is the forever reel for this rod.

Just have to buy another purple bumper so I have two and I can replace the stock silver ones. At one point I was going to purple a Catalina TW for this rod but the prices went crazy on those reels.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210402-162208_Gallery_copy_575x433.jpg
Screenshot_20210402-162208_Gallery_copy_575x433.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 6426 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:07 pm

Not bad caster with the Catalina TW spool. I can almost spool it of 65# braid and a Terminator Walking Frog. Seems to cast about as far as my TD Zillion HLC spool with 50# braid. The Catalina spool holds a little more 65# than the HLC does 50# which is nice and leaves some room to bomb heavier baits. Spool is still shallower than it should be IMO but good.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210403-185320_Gallery_copy_575x769.jpg
Screenshot_20210403-185320_Gallery_copy_575x769.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 6341 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:23 pm

On the roof of the car.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210403-185416_Gallery_copy_1480x720.jpg
Screenshot_20210403-185416_Gallery_copy_1480x720.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 6338 times