What reel for frogging on a MB perfect pitch?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What reel for frogging on a MB perfect pitch?

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

Hey guys so I just picked up a megabass orochi xx perfect pitch and now need a reel for it.
I own a orochi Diablo spec-r and ended up getting a steeze sv 103xs for it and the combo is fire but I’m hoping to not spend as much on another reel.
Would that reel do better for frogging on the perfect pitch or just leave it on the spec-r?
I was looking at the tatula line, would they work well?

What do you guys recommend?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What reel for frogging on a MB perfect pitch?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:05 pm

The Tatula line is pretty bang for your buck. I havent used the CT or 100 (newest one) but, ive used plenty of the OG and OG Type R. For chucking frogs, why look anywhere else? For a "cheaper" reel, should do fine. Can also get a DIY finesse spool and use the reel for BFS or whatever else you want.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 pm

I picked up a CT Type R off eBay for $100. Can't beat that with a stick!
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:15 pm

if it is a gen 1 the Curado K sure would look nice on one. Although... a Megabass rod is deserving of a Megabass reel. :big grin:

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks guys!

I seen a couple new tatula sv tws’s go for around $150 how are those?
And would you guys use the tatula for the perfect pitch and leave my steez on the diablo spec-R?
Would the steez be better for frogging or most of my other finessing applications?

@lowrange it’s the 2nd Gen the 2018 version.
And I would love to pair it with a megabass reel but they’re so expensive. They’re like $400 and up and I wouldn’t even know which one would be good for frogging.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am

Datbasstho wrote:Thanks guys!

And would you guys use the tatula for the perfect pitch and leave my steez on the diablo spec-R?
Would the steez be better for frogging or most of my other finessing applications?

And I would love to pair it with a megabass reel but they’re so expensive. They’re like $400 and up and I wouldn’t even know which one would be good for frogging.
The SV is a limiting spool. Better for lighter baits, and with the frog, would not be tbe best fit. The CT Type R is gonna be a way better choice.
<")))><{

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 am

Datbasstho wrote:Thanks guys!

I wouldn't use the Steez for frogs.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Ok thank you LGmouth and hobie-wan!

Ao the type r tatula is probably my best bank for buck for a frog reel.

Can anybody put a list of megabass reels that would be great for frogging in case I change my mind and sell some older stuff?
It’s dead winter where I’m at so no need to rush to get a reel, was just trying to budget for cheaper but might consider a MB reel.

I’ve read the ip79 are great but what would be my options.

Thanks guys!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:20 pm

I saw an OG Tat Type R 8.1 on the auction site for $109. FWIW that's what I've been using for 3 or 4 years without issue. Absolutely bombs frogs using 65# line. Plus, unlike the CT versions it has an aluminum frame AND sideplate. I expect it will last longer than I do.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Datbasstho wrote:Ok thank you LGmouth and hobie-wan!

Ao the type r tatula is probably my best bank for buck for a frog reel.

Can anybody put a list of megabass reels that would be great for frogging in case I change my mind and sell some older stuff?
It’s dead winter where I’m at so no need to rush to get a reel, was just trying to budget for cheaper but might consider a MB reel.

I’ve read the ip79 are great but what would be my options.

Thanks guys!
As far as Megabass reels go, your best bet is to find a used IP79. Nice condition ones go for quite a bit but, sometimes a deal is found.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks @poisonokie I’ll keep that in mind
As far as Megabass reels go, your best bet is to find a used IP79. Nice condition ones go for quite a bit but, sometimes a deal is found.
What would be a good price for one used? What’s their average price used?
I found an ad from early november and the seller wanted $275 and it looked in mint condition.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:18 pm

SV103 (non steez) in the 7:9:1 ratio or if a 6:3:1 is a good enough deal you can spend $30 and swap a faster set of gears into it. Built like a tank and balances out very well on the xx perfect pitch. I have no issues with casting distance using sv spools. I’m not sure why a lot of people think they’re just for lighter baits. Plenty of times I’ve hit my spool knot using #30 braid on a couple of my sv spools. The sv103 steez with rcs 1012sv spool being one of those. Should be able to find the reel for about $200-225 used, when one pops up for sale.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 am

I have a Zillion SV TW XXH the JDM 9 speed version. You can find them on the auction site for cheaper than the USDM models sell for on most sites. I am able to throw small jackal frogs all the way up to oversized frogs with ease and have had no issues pulling in fish through the slop.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:SV103 (non steez) in the 7:9:1 ratio or if a 6:3:1 is a good enough deal you can spend $30 and swap a faster set of gears into it. Built like a tank and balances out very well on the xx perfect pitch. I have no issues with casting distance using sv spools. I’m not sure why a lot of people think they’re just for lighter baits. Plenty of times I’ve hit my spool knot using #30 braid on a couple of my sv spools. The sv103 steez with rcs 1012sv spool being one of those. Should be able to find the reel for about $200-225 used, when one pops up for sale.
thanks for your input
is that the daiwa ss sv103?

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 pm

toporanger wrote:I have a Zillion SV TW XXH the JDM 9 speed version. You can find them on the auction site for cheaper than the USDM models sell for on most sites. I am able to throw small jackal frogs all the way up to oversized frogs with ease and have had no issues pulling in fish through the slop.
thanks man, what auction site?