ZPI-M and Bantam MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

ZPI-M and Bantam MGL

Post by goldrod » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 pm

No you can put the ZPI- M spool in a bantam.

I received the ZPI M spool from the TackleTrap. I had waited until now to buy one and have read as much as possible on them.
I put mine in a IS73 and spooled it with 10lb suffix mono paired with a GEN1 cumara, 3.5 Lake fork live magic shad nose hooked with a laser Tokar wacky weedless wide gap hook. Casted it like a dream but to me the spool screamed to be free. It is fast but not uncontrollable, yet it wants you to loosen the cc. So I did and I was one handing casting getting the distance that I was getting with other setups using two hands. I was semi impressed and took it to my worst casting location. Its one where you are on one side of the bushes casting around it to another bush. THIS is when the light turned on for me. I was able to one hand cast and get distance with no backlash, zero, nada zilch and was accurate. I don't know how light that is but its plenty light enough for me.

Bantam MGL,

If you have doubts, get it.. I have one

I am sorry for the late feedback, I was supposed to get with some of you guys about things i was interested in but as life would have it. Things happen and I apologize.. but i am alive. and that's good
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI-M and Bantam MGL

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks for the write up.

I only have a couple of trips with my Bantam before the snow came. I enjoyed it and it can actually skip pretty good. Its a solid reel that fits the need for my all-round medium heavy duties.

I am curious to try a ZPI spool.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI-M and Bantam MGL

Post by goldrod » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Thanks for the write up.

I only have a couple of trips with my Bantam before the snow came. I enjoyed it and it can actually skip pretty good. Its a solid reel that fits the need for my all-round medium heavy duties.

I am curious to try a ZPI spool.
I too was curious. Was it worth the price? What is the gain? How significant is the gain?
All those were answered for me today and I used a medhvy 6’9” rod so I’m certain that with a longer rod I’d get even greater distance.
Not that distance is the end all but the ease of casting was superb as well.

As far as the bantam
It’s so fluid that I get that connection and not because of the material it’s made of. I think the ease of casting helps with focusing on fishing.
I simply think of it as Shimano’’s version of the Daiwa Z. It’s perfect in size and on the St. Croix rod that I have just balances.
It’s one reel that you will find hard to improve on. The handles are exactly the length you’d want. I can’t find any negatives about this reel
Time will tell of its longevity but at its price point it’s hard to pass up. I’m using mine to flip and pitch jigs , dirty jigs 5/8 pitching jig. Hopefully
I will get some huge girls to bite.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible