Ryoga 1016 to buy or not to buy

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
papagravey
Angler
Angler

Ryoga 1016 to buy or not to buy

Post by papagravey » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:22 pm

I’ve been looking at this reel for a while. I’ve been wondering if I should get it. I already have a conquest 100 hg. Which I love. But the bait monkey won’t stop telling me to get this. If bought I will use this for chatterbaits 3/8 oz being the lightest. Should I give in or is it not really worth it sense I have the conquest

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ryoga 1016 to buy or not to buy

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Might as well go big and bronze, lots of gravy.

Megabass Lin 10 Meteor/Topaz on a MH 6'11 or 7'1 Valkyrie.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Incredible reel for spinnerbaits and shatterbaits.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 am

Love mine. Both are great reels. Use both with aftermarket spools (avail, zpi nrc001).
That being said, I did not really NEED the Daiwa... You will manage with your Conquest.
Attachments
10BB60A7-68CE-4518-BB53-57A925A3F25E.jpeg
10BB60A7-68CE-4518-BB53-57A925A3F25E.jpeg (206.64 KiB) Viewed 4919 times

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 am

Dalleinf wrote:Love mine. Both are great reels. Use both with aftermarket spools (avail, zpi nrc001).
That being said, I did not really NEED the Daiwa... You will manage with your Conquest.

I thought disuading fellow TT's from expensive purchases was against forum rules and could result in suspension of account [-X :lol:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:Love mine. Both are great reels. Use both with aftermarket spools (avail, zpi nrc001).

I thought disuading fellow TT's from expensive purchases was against forum rules and could result in suspension of account [-X :lol:
:lol: well, I see your point and understand that I may have crossed a line. Ryoga is great and always worthy of consideration. Still, the two reels are somewhat similar with regard to size, weight, and ability to cast 3/8 oz lures.
Perhaps it is just me. I am in a phase where I try to keep myself from purchasing (unnecessary) fishing gear. Sorry.

papagravey
Angler
Angler

Post by papagravey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have two questions. If you had to pick one which one would it be and why. And also difference does the after market spool do. Does it justify the big price investment for the gain in performance?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 pm

If I could only pick one and if I did not have all the spools that I do then I would probably pick the Conquest. It is a beautiful reel and I like the small non-handle side plate.

If I could only pick one and if I did have all the spools that I do then I would probably pick the Ryoga. I have close to 20 aftermarket spools that fit the Ryoga (Steez, T3 etc) and I simply enjoy switching spools and line to suit the situation.

To me, the aftermarket spools justify the high price tag. I target big-ish fish that eat small lures and appreciate the sturdy round baitcasters with weight to balance longer rods and the light aftermarket spools, which allow me to throw 1/8 oz lures with no issue. If I only threw lures from 3/8 oz and up then the aftermarket spools would be of less importance (but still nice).

Edit: The aftermarket spools are particularly nice for Daiwas where they fit many reels. I am still annoyed that Shimano does not sell their brake systems so I have to remove the brake system from one spool to another. With regard to the Conquest, I had to glue the brake system to the Avail spool because it was a poor fit so I will likely never use the standard spool again...