2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 am

y2k88 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
y2k88 wrote:The C6191 marine bronze I think is mainly a copper/aluminum alloy.
Yep correct. C6191 is what's called aluminium bronze and alloy that is known for its corrosion resistance. No mention of gear manufacturing in its list of uses though. Bit used a lot in marine applications
https://www.daiwa-france.com/technology ... digigear-4
Apparantly the high-end hyper digigear is also found in many tatulas :lol:
https://www.daiwa-france.com/technology ... 4/products

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am

Looking at the internals, its no different than a Zillion or Tatula. Just speaking of the clutch mechanisms.
<")))><{

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:17 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Looking at the internals, its no different than a Zillion or Tatula. Just speaking of the clutch mechanisms.
You repair many more reels than I do. I have seen a number of youtube videos where Pros talk about the new reel from a sponsor and how the “internals are better”. In my limited experience, most reels look much the same on the inside whether 20000 or 50000 JPY.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Too many pages to flip through so I’m just gonna ask.
How would/ does this reel (and/or other PE reels) handle flouro?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Certainly a case of diminishing returns with high end reels, esp. given cheaper reels are pretty good these days for most casual anglers.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:25 pm

The reel came in the mail today and all I can say is wow. It's the smoothest reel I have ever used. I can't wait for fishing season.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FXaMEBRyFtHhnrfr7

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 am

HobeyBaker wrote:The reel came in the mail today and all I can say is wow. It's the smoothest reel I have ever used. I can't wait for fishing season.

Good looking reel. If I could sell a Steez A spool and maybe the spool from an upcoming (if I bought it) Morethan one will be on my list. Getting too loaded on stuff, for as little as I get to fish. I wish the other Steez variants looked as good as the Morethan does.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Not Morethan related directly, but I notice a few comments on the sideplate. I will say this, the new Steez sideplate is one thing I really don't like about the new versions. It's much harder to adjust the brake dial. With OG versions/style, it was quick and easy flick with a thumb. Now sometimes I actually have to hold reel in one hand and dig in with finger from the other hand, quite a hassle. It's actually way harder to turn one way vs the other as well.

It bugged me enough at first I considered dumping the new ones and going back to my OG's (and I haven't 100% ruled that out lol)- but the reality is once I get them set I don't change them very much. My pitching/flipping rigs are usually around 5, and the casting rigs around 10, unless it gets windy. So am sticking with them for now.

But every time I pick up one of my moving bait rods with a TD-Z I'm like WTF did they ever change this lol...

Edit - oh there are a few other things that annoy me a bit - the drag star on the new versions just feels like a cheap piece of plastic more suitable for a tatula or something. TT sells a couple replacements that would work but I don't feel like dropping $250 on drag stars. That and the whole drag star setup re-design and screw going the wrong was (from traditional) seems like a step backwards. LOL the first time I broke down one of the new steez's and the star just fell off, I was like wtf... :o

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:The reel came in the mail today and all I can say is wow. It's the smoothest reel I have ever used. I can't wait for fishing season.

Nice, did you get the 8.6?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:36 pm

domthewon wrote:

I got the 8.6. I will be putting it on either a 893 or 894. I will need to see which one it balances better on.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
domthewon wrote:

I got the 8.6. I will be putting it on either a 893 or 894. I will need to see which one it balances better on.
Right on! I’m really liking this reel myself. Enjoy it.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:53 pm

78Staff wrote:Not Morethan related directly, but I notice a few comments on the sideplate. I will say this, the new Steez sideplate is one thing I really don't like about the new versions. It's much harder to adjust the brake dial. With OG versions/style, it was quick and easy flick with a thumb. Now sometimes I actually have to hold reel in one hand and dig in with finger from the other hand, quite a hassle. It's actually way harder to turn one way vs the other as well.

It bugged me enough at first I considered dumping the new ones and going back to my OG's (and I haven't 100% ruled that out lol)- but the reality is once I get them set I don't change them very much. My pitching/flipping rigs are usually around 5, and the casting rigs around 10, unless it gets windy. So am sticking with them for now.

But every time I pick up one of my moving bait rods with a TD-Z I'm like WTF did they ever change this lol...

Edit - oh there are a few other things that annoy me a bit - the drag star on the new versions just feels like a cheap piece of plastic more suitable for a tatula or something. TT sells a couple replacements that would work but I don't feel like dropping $250 on drag stars. That and the whole drag star setup re-design and screw going the wrong was (from traditional) seems like a step backwards. LOL the first time I broke down one of the new steez's and the star just fell off, I was like wtf... :o
It's called zero adjuster for a reason. It's not meant to be adjusted. Set the spool so there is no side play and only use magnets for adjusting the cast. .

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
78Staff wrote:Not Morethan related directly, but I notice a few comments on the sideplate. I will say this, the new Steez sideplate is one thing I really don't like about the new versions. It's much harder to adjust the brake dial. With OG versions/style, it was quick and easy flick with a thumb. Now sometimes I actually have to hold reel in one hand and dig in with finger from the other hand, quite a hassle. It's actually way harder to turn one way vs the other as well.
<snipped>
It's called zero adjuster for a reason. It's not meant to be adjusted. Set the spool so there is no side play and only use magnets for adjusting the cast. .
You're talking about the spool tension knob, which is not I'm referring to. I'm talking about the brake adjustment dial that goes from 0-20.

BTW, the "zero adjust" is a bunch of bunk. Marketing 101. Daiwa realized after the first iteration of the SV that (most) users were basically setting the spool tension to a specific point and then adjusting with the magnetic brake dial only, as you mentioned. So they cleverly turned that into a "feature" and marketed it lol. It is however very much adjustable, although I agree one rarely needs to move it once set. I typically have it set so that the spool has just a smidge of free play - that way I can go "commando" at 0 when pitching, or lay in the mag breaking as needed for normal casting, typically 5-10 depending on the bait and setup, etc.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:04 am

Is the weight difference noticeable between 19 Morethan vs Steez A in any significant way? On or off the rod?

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 am

Why do some continue to call it a “spool tension” knob? It puts the spool shaft in compression! Cast control knob is a much better term.