2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 am

y2k88 wrote:The C6191 marine bronze I think is mainly a copper/aluminum alloy.
Yep correct. C6191 is what's called aluminium bronze and alloy that is known for its corrosion resistance. No mention of gear manufacturing in its list of uses though. Bit used a lot in marine applications

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:43 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Yep correct. C6191 is what's called aluminium bronze and alloy that is known for its corrosion resistance. No mention of gear manufacturing in its list of uses though. Bit used a lot in marine applications
https://www.daiwa-france.com/technology ... digigear-4

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 am

y2k88 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
https://www.daiwa-france.com/technology ... digigear-4
My main question is how is it in relation to brass gears. I found this quote:

"Bronze is an alloy of Copper and Tin. This may not appear that important a difference but it really is. First: Bronze is much stronger and more corrosion resistant than brass. Second: Bronze is harder and more abrasion resistant than brass."

This C6191 is copper and aluminum with aluminum being stronger than tin. Not too scientific but seems a plus. Lastly, brass uses zinc which is already weaker than tin and heavier. So, in my completely non scientific analysis, it should be stronger and lighter than brass as well.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:44 am

http://www.zycalloy.com/en/Products-68.htm

Chemical Composition mass/%

Cu: 81.0-88.0
Sn: -
Al: 8.0-11.0
Fe: 3.0-5.0
Mn: 0.5-2.0
Ni: 0.5-2.0
Pb: -
Si: -
P: -
Zn: -

Mechanical properties

Tensile Strength (MPa): 500 - 900
Yield Stregth (Mpa): 241 - 359
Elongatio %: 40 - 5
Brinell hardness (HB) 110 - 200

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 am

To a certain extent Brass is self-lubricating, which is why it's used for things like locks. I don't know if the same applies to bronze. Maybe moreso than aluminum or steel, but not as much as brass so it won't feel as smooth. I know the Luna has a bronze pinion, a will feel geary without ample lubrication.

I have a question about the palm side plate. Is it aluminum or is it the "set plate," the part that supports the magnets and bearing? For instance, I thought the SV light had a mag frame and aluminum gear side plate, but after some research I think the whole frame and gear side housing is magnesium and the set plate is aluminum. The Alphas ASC has an Aluminum Frame, Zaion side plate, and aluminum set plate, too. Maybe that's why the morethan doesn't weigh quite as much as you'd think despite having bronze gears.
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 pm

poisonokie wrote:To a certain extent Brass is self-lubricating, which is why it's used for things like locks. I don't know if the same applies to bronze. Maybe moreso than aluminum or steel, but not as much as brass so it won't feel as smooth. I know the Luna has a bronze pinion, a will feel geary without ample lubrication.

I have a question about the palm side plate. Is it aluminum or is it the "set plate," the part that supports the magnets and bearing? For instance, I thought the SV light had a mag frame and aluminum gear side plate, but after some research I think the whole frame and gear side housing is magnesium and the set plate is aluminum. The Alphas ASC has an Aluminum Frame, Zaion side plate, and aluminum set plate, too. Maybe that's why the morethan doesn't weigh quite as much as you'd think despite having bronze gears.
it has a alloy set plate, the outer cover is plastic.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:41 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
it has a alloy set plate, the outer cover is plastic.
Ah. Thanks. I never even thought about what that part was made of before looking into the ASC. Makes sense to go with aluminum.
This is the way.

kolp
Angler
Angler

Post by kolp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:54 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I saw the pictures that prove the gear isn't aluminum, scrolled down from the provided link and read the comparison of Steez A versus Morethan PE SV TW and he included pictures of both. What are the benefits of bronze versus brass? It looked from the pictures that both reels had a clicking drag.

This makes me wonder about ordering those gears for a Steez A... If they ever went out that is.
ok lets make this clear. the morethan 8.6 is bronze gears, the 7.1 isn't . I have seen the tear down pictures of a 7.1 morethan in another group and they are in fact the same G1 Alloy gears as found in a Steez A. The article referred to in the links shows a 8.6 morethan.
Where is the photo of the 7.1 gearing?

Are u referring to this photo?
Attachments
6EB02265-3399-4C63-8D2E-5F17F02BFA0D.jpeg
6EB02265-3399-4C63-8D2E-5F17F02BFA0D.jpeg (179.92 KiB) Viewed 6644 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:12 am

poisonokie wrote:To a certain extent Brass is self-lubricating, which is why it's used for things like locks. I don't know if the same applies to bronze. Maybe moreso than aluminum or steel, but not as much as brass so it won't feel as smooth. I know the Luna has a bronze pinion, a will feel geary without ample lubrication.

That is where the "softer" factor of brass comes in handy right? It meshes well and that is why a harder metal can potentially feel geary?

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am

kolp wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I saw the pictures that prove the gear isn't aluminum, scrolled down from the provided link and read the comparison of Steez A versus Morethan PE SV TW and he included pictures of both. What are the benefits of bronze versus brass? It looked from the pictures that both reels had a clicking drag.

This makes me wonder about ordering those gears for a Steez A... If they ever went out that is.
ok lets make this clear. the morethan 8.6 is bronze gears, the 7.1 isn't . I have seen the tear down pictures of a 7.1 morethan in another group and they are in fact the same G1 Alloy gears as found in a Steez A. The article referred to in the links shows a 8.6 morethan.

No that's a steez A main gear. There was another discussion from a different group. A member who recently acquired a 7.1 morethan tw opened his and took pics of what's inside.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:16 pm

4g63power wrote:
kolp wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:

No that's a steez A main gear. There was another discussion from a different group. A member who recently acquired a 7.1 morethan tw opened his and took pics of what's inside.
The pictures are on a private facebook group , that's all I can say. might be able to get the person to post pics here as I believe he is a TT member.

kolp
Angler
Angler

Post by kolp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
4g63power wrote:
kolp wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:

The pictures are on a private facebook group , that's all I can say. might be able to get the person to post pics here as I believe he is a TT member.
Which facebook group? I see you are from Aust too, I may have access to that group

Can you take a screen shot and post for all of us to see?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 pm

OK I was able to copy them. Here is the 7.1 morethan. I am not able to mention the name of the group. It is secret and to name it risks eviction.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1548388004781.jpg
FB_IMG_1548388004781.jpg (192.69 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
FB_IMG_1548387992944.jpg
FB_IMG_1548387992944.jpg (293.17 KiB) Viewed 6548 times

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:OK I was able to copy them. Here is the 7.1 morethan. I am not able to mention the name of the group. It is secret and to name it risks eviction.
:big grin: :big grin:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:29 pm

You guys are killing me. I want one on my frog rod...
This is the way.