2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
kolp
Angler
Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by kolp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 am

y2k88 wrote:This is the 8.6.
https://uo-log.com/morethan-tw-pe-overhaul/
Nice find! A big slap in the face for the doubters and misinformed speculators

and here is a pic of the 7.1, clearly says Hyper Digigear. Image

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 am

Thank for info! Now it’s clear. And now I must consider to spend or not money of 1,99 x more than I have before paid for a reel..

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am

kolp wrote: Nice find! A big slap in the face for the doubters and misinformed speculators....
As an FYI, in a previous post the author of that teardown speculated that SH weight difference was due to an Aluminum gear. Should we have been smacking him around?

https://uo-log.com/morethanpetwreview/
kolp wrote: Hyper digigear is Daiwas top tier gearing made of marine bronze. This is one of the key differences that sets the Morethan reels (spinning and baitcast) apart from their siblings.

..there is no way Daiwa would advertise the new model as having Hyper Digigear if it didnt. Anyone who owns Morethan reels know that this is the main selling point of these reels.
Daiwa puts these same gears in sub $150 reels and selectivly advertises it. You won't hear a peep about it on the Daiwa USA website or on the side of the reel

https://www.daiwa-france.com/products/r ... ula-2018-2

The author of of the teardown article owned an OG Morethan (as do I), he also owned a Steez A (as do I), niether of us bought the reel becuase it had Hyper Digigear. (I bought mine because it matched the MB Destroyer) Many people (including Alan Hawk at one point) had no idea which digigear was which.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:25 am

Fellas; I’m trying to learn about and enjoy tackle here and am losing the message among the slapping. Unfortunately I didn’t get as much out of that tear down tutorial as someone who knows the reel guts well would. So it is made out of the bronze, right? That’s the conclusion? A yes/no, other will be much appreciated. Thanks

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am

Polkfish1 wrote:Fellas; I’m trying to learn about and enjoy tackle here and am losing the message among the slapping. Unfortunately I didn’t get as much out of that tear down tutorial as someone who knows the reel guts well would. So it is made out of the bronze, right? That’s the conclusion? A yes/no, other will be much appreciated. Thanks
Yes Bronze

Specifically this material

http://www.zycalloy.com/en/Products-68.htm

kolp
Angler
Angler

Post by kolp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
kolp wrote: Nice find! A big slap in the face for the doubters and misinformed speculators....
As an FYI, in a previous post the author of that teardown speculated that SH weight difference was due to an Aluminum gear. Should we have been smacking him around?

kolp wrote: Hyper digigear is Daiwas top tier gearing made of marine bronze. This is one of the key differences that sets the Morethan reels (spinning and baitcast) apart from their siblings.

..there is no way Daiwa would advertise the new model as having Hyper Digigear if it didnt. Anyone who owns Morethan reels know that this is the main selling point of these reels.
Daiwa puts these same gears in sub $150 reels and selectivly advertises it. You won't hear a peep about it on the Daiwa USA website or on the side of the reel

https://www.daiwa-france.com/products/r ... ula-2018-2

The author of of the teardown article owned an OG Morethan (as do I), he also owned a Steez A (as do I), niether of us bought the reel becuase it had Hyper Digigear. (I bought mine because it matched the MB Destroyer) Many people (including Alan Hawk at one point) had no idea which digigear was which.

Hyper Digigear is found only on their high end heavy duty SW reels, they are the gears used in their flagship Saltiga spinning reels. Also found on the Saltiga Bayjigging, Catalina, Morethan spinning, Certate Hyper, Emeraldas Colossal etc. You wont find them on sub $150 reels LMAO. Yes Daiwa sometimes confuses their advertising on their websites outside of Japan but simply look on the Japanese website for the correct specifications. Until someone posts a clear pic of a Morethan reel having aluminium gears I will accept that they contain Hyper Digigear, as stated on the reel.

Also, weight difference for the SH...clearly a lower gear ratio has a smaller main gear and consequently lower weight ](*,)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:33 pm

True or not:
However, XH is 205 g,

Red Fang TW Hyper custom is the same weight as XH.

I wonder if the gears are the same.

Because the material of the gear seems to be pretty stuck

It may be different.

That means SH is a duralmin gear,

XH is divided into winds called brass gears ...?

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm

How much difference is there between this reel and the zillion hd? They look alot alike. Is the morethan smaller?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Dustys60 wrote:How much difference is there between this reel and the zillion hd? They look alot alike. Is the morethan smaller?
New morethan has the steez frame. It’s smaller than the HD and palms quite a bit differently. I’m fine with both platforms having fairly big hands but I’ve really become fond of the way the steez (=new morethan) platform palms. The previous morethan model is the same frame as the HD (I believe).

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 am

I saw the pictures that prove the gear isn't aluminum, scrolled down from the provided link and read the comparison of Steez A versus Morethan PE SV TW and he included pictures of both. What are the benefits of bronze versus brass? It looked from the pictures that both reels had a clicking drag.

This makes me wonder about ordering those gears for a Steez A... If they ever went out that is.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I saw the pictures that prove the gear isn't aluminum, scrolled down from the provided link and read the comparison of Steez A versus Morethan PE SV TW and he included pictures of both. What are the benefits of bronze versus brass? It looked from the pictures that both reels had a clicking drag.

This makes me wonder about ordering those gears for a Steez A... If they ever went out that is.
ok lets make this clear. the morethan 8.6 is bronze gears, the 7.1 isn't . I have seen the tear down pictures of a 7.1 morethan in another group and they are in fact the same G1 Alloy gears as found in a Steez A. The article referred to in the links shows a 8.6 morethan.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I saw the pictures that prove the gear isn't aluminum, scrolled down from the provided link and read the comparison of Steez A versus Morethan PE SV TW and he included pictures of both. What are the benefits of bronze versus brass? It looked from the pictures that both reels had a clicking drag.

ok lets make this clear. the morethan 8.6 is bronze gears, the 7.1 isn't . I have seen the tear down pictures of a 7.1 morethan in another group and they are in fact the same G1 Alloy gears as found in a Steez A. The article referred to in the links shows a 8.6 morethan.
My bad, still good either way, 8.6 is getting fast though. Still though, not really sure about the differences/benefits of brass versus bronze or aluminum. Brass is mainly copper and zinc depending on who produces it. Bronze just has more % copper I think, not sure it is always combined with the same other metals, again depending on what grade and who produces it.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:

My bad, still good either way, 8.6 is getting fast though. Still though, not really sure about the differences/benefits of brass versus bronze or aluminum. Brass is mainly copper and zinc depending on who produces it. Bronze just has more % copper I think, not sure it is always combined with the same other metals, again depending on what grade and who produces it.
Bronze is copper with tin . And is a harder material than brass.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 am

The C6191 marine bronze I think is mainly a copper/aluminum alloy.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:15 am

Thanks Barramaniac, great info!

Obviously they have calculated that this new PE is such high end product and it can be used heavy and it should last long this heavy use and still feel smooth and solid. And because of that bronze gears are needed for 8.6. And G1 Duraluminium is enough for 7.1