2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:38 am

Is there any change of level wind speed vs. standard current TW Zillion (or Steez)? Because I thought that current Zillion models are capable for braided lines without faster level wind. OG Zillions were with slow level wind and therefore OG PE Special had 2x faster level wind. Btv, I didn’t find it in Digitaka. What’s the price for reel?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 am

It looks sick and would be a sweet reel but for over 400 bucks...eesh
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:48 am

RCSB 1000 series spool compatible
Does this mean for example this: https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00078.html
Or this: https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1675

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 am

jvelth74 wrote:
RCSB 1000 series spool compatible
Does this mean for example this: https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00078.html
Or this: https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1675
You can find many 34mm spools that will fit the reel - any Steez/T3/Ryoga1016/ZillionSV compatible spool from Daiwa/SLP/RCS, ZPI (NRC001-PG and M), KTF Daiwa Finesse, Momos, Rayz etc.

edit: I should say “will likely/probably fit the reel” since I STILL haven’t used the reel ;)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:58 am

^ Hoping really those T3/SV Zillion/Steez/Small Ryoga spools would fit. Then this new Morethan would be close enough that Z1016, what I was hoping. If so, then I must affirm myself that this Morethan doesn't cost more than I can pay.. :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 pm

LowRange wrote:What are the chances a new Zillion comes out based off this reel rather than a Tatula 100 based Zillion? Didn't the original Morethan come out just before the Zillion TWS? I seem to recall the Morethan being ridiculed for being a Tatula that you are paying Morethan you should.
I'd say a decent chance. No idea what exact frame the Tatula 100 is though. I would like to see brass gears if this reel gets the Zillion name (This Morethan might already have them). I would see a USDM Zillion 100 get the Zaion sideplates though to reduce weight. Unless it is cheaper to just use the current production Steez A sideplates, which are aluminum. I figure Daiwa wants it light though is brought to mainstream US. Wonder if the 8.6 ratio is coming too...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 pm

jvelth74 wrote:Is there any change of level wind speed vs. standard current TW Zillion (or Steez)? Because I thought that current Zillion models are capable for braided lines without faster level wind. OG Zillions were with slow level wind and therefore OG PE Special had 2x faster level wind. Btv, I didn’t find it in Digitaka. What’s the price for reel?
If past history continues, then this will have the high-speed levelwind, as well. All the Daiwa PE reels in the past have had this feature.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:58 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:Is there any change of level wind speed vs. standard current TW Zillion (or Steez)? Because I thought that current Zillion models are capable for braided lines without faster level wind. OG Zillions were with slow level wind and therefore OG PE Special had 2x faster level wind. Btv, I didn’t find it in Digitaka. What’s the price for reel?
If past history continues, then this will have the high-speed levelwind, as well. All the Daiwa PE reels in the past have had this feature.
I was told the high speed level wind doesn't play nicely with fluoro. Is this true? If so, I can spend my non existent money on something else.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:I've had to bite my tongue the last couple of hours as I have gazed down at my beloved Morthan PE SV 8.1R-TW and back up at the new "improved" version.

My first impression of the new reel compared to the old (while trying not to be a Debbie Downer):
-New reel 20-30 grams lighter depending on Gear Ratio-Neutral overall but bad for me. As someone mentioned the 17 Destroyer is a visual match made in heaven. IMHO the Javalin is the perfect match for the Morethan. That combo balances just forward of the lockdown nut with the 225 gram (old version) Morethan (without line). Any weight reduction and that combo is pretty tip forward.
-ATD vs. UTD- Same washers, different grease.
-100mm Handle vs. 90mm handle- I have never thought, man I wish I had a 100mm handle on this thing. Maybe the 100mm handle mitigates that 8.6 Gear Ratio.
-Gear Ratio- It's great to have new gear ratio options, but why drop the 8.1?
-Hyper Digigear- I don't have my box on handy but the old Morethan is advertised as having it as well as the new one-nothing new here
-Aluminum Side Plates- This is good, but I have never felt that the old version was anything but ROCK SOLID.
-New Side Plate- Not holding back here and most people disagree, but I hate that frickin' sideplate. Kept me from buying the Steez for 2 years. I love my Steez A, but I have grown to hate that sideplate even more. The dial is a pain to get to, you can't read the numbers on the dial, that big indention is built to gather dust, dirt and junk.
I have many Daiwa/MB variants with the protruding dial. Some suck because even new out of the box then can "self adjust" when handling and casting, weak little clickies. My Morethan and Battler have rock solid dials...loud, clear, precise and distinctive clicks. Like a fine watch!
-Bling- There is a clear bling downgrade on the new Morethan. Gold spool tension dial-gone (stolen straight off of a Steez, color and all). Gold Carbon inlay, reduced. Gold encrusted MagDial-gone. Gold thingy that seperates the handle sideplate-gone. Gold housing around handle plate-Rifled-Why Rifle?
34MM Spool-I'm measuring mine everyway to Sunday and it's 34MM tall, difference compared to a standard Daiwa 34MM spool is the width. The width is the same as an 36MM HLC/BATTLER/Zillion TW. This is why it has never been interchangable with anything. If the new one is not and just narrower that the old version, it just means that it is even that much more deeper considering the larger line capacity. Deeper spool-Bad
Zero Adjuster-I want to adjust, I want to adjust a dial that has gold bling and little dots and clicks like a finely wound Rolex, just like the old Morethan.

I am biased. This was my first high end reel and still my favorite.

Now I am really stressed. It's no longer Stress Free-It's no longer Versitile. It's a deep spool RCSB 1000
Zero adjust just means you shouldn't need to adjust. By no means does it mean that you can't adjust. That being said, it probably the least fun dial to turn - ever.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I was told the high speed level wind doesn't play nicely with fluoro. Is this true? If so, I can spend my non existent money on something else.
I couldn't say either way. I used flouro for the last time back in 2010. It cost me a few hundred dollars because I broke off on 2 fish. Those 2 fish would have put me in 1st place by 3 lbs. Instead, I placed 2 places out of the money. That was 20# Tatsu, supposedly the cream of the crop. Palomar knot, moistened before setting the knot, drag set right, but it still broke on the hookset. Now its braid or good old mono like Sufix Siege. I did use mono with a Zillion PE Special and it didn't give me any problems.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Just thinking...Is this new Morethan just a Steez A / SV TW Zillion -hybrid?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:42 pm

[quote="Aquaftm45"]I've had to bite my tongue the last couple of hours as I have gazed down at my beloved Morthan PE SV 8.1R-TW and back up at the new "improved" version.

Aquaftm: I see only one solution here. You’re going to have to complete the set. :D I had the first morethan baitcaster sitting in my basket a couple of times and never quite pulled the trigger. And I’ve always admired it from a far. I think someone else said that we want them all. But, I also am married. This new temptation may be too much to stay away from.

Regarding the “hybrid” hypothesis brought up in another post. I think that’s accurate with this line—to put together good bits and pieces from various models into that distinctive look and multifunctional use. I think the original branzino spinner combined some of the best bits and pieces from the saltiga, certate, and exist of that time into a unique package of awesomeness.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
The reel is really tuned for long diztance casting fro the shore for Sea Bass in Japan. Dont know the US equivalent species. Long casting with lures around 3/4 to say 1 ounce. A few videos around of people doing relatively gentle casts, compared to the shimano pro with the calais dc, reaching 100 yards. Will probably work, but, not really aimed at the fluoro market.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 am

^ Casting charasteristics sounds very near but slightly better than in my SV TW Zillion with Steez 103 spool with type-R+ inductor and HLC spring. Which means very good charasteristics. Actually close to perfect for Seatrout. And if reel takes same spools as Steez and SV Zillion then I think I must buy it.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.