What's next for Shimano???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What's next for Shimano???

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

Was watching this youtube video about some new Expride models, TW video. Then they mentioned the 7'2"ML+ rod which is one I have really considered. At the 2:20 mark they mention a "top secret" reel coming out that will be great for this rod. Really excited me and I hope so bad it is a smaller shallow spool Chronarch, or better yet, a Curado K 70, or Curado 70 MGL. Just hope it is like the Metanium and Chronarch upgrade was and includes the extra driveshaft bearing (I complained about this for a while, but I really think it helps to eliminate any back play with handles and improve smoothness and Anti Reverse bearing life).

Either way very excited, I figure this is something set for release at the classic, though I am sure you all on here will be able to figure it out much sooner...

Link to the video, at the 2:20 mark they begin to mention the reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkpkwh9gp78

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What's next for Shimano???

Post by Reservoir » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 pm

A new curado mgl would be great.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:41 pm

I have no idea but here is my wish list. A 70 MGL would be nice. I'd like to have such a spool for my Engetsu. It would also be nice to see a DC reel with analog input. Maybe use variable resistor connected to thumb operated scroll wheel. Select mode and increase or decrease braking profile with an eternal dial. I want all these neat braking modes but I would want fine tune adjustability on the water instead of fixed preset profiles. To take this even further the ability to plug a micro USB cable into the DC and go online with the reel through the use of a GUI where I can play with brake profiles, create and assign profiles and parameters then download that file to the reel. Sort of like messing around with parameters on variable frequency drives used in industry. Shimano DC is basically a DC drive for the spool.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:08 pm

I'll hope it will be Calcutta Conquest 100/101 MGL with "bantam style" side plate. :D

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

The CU70 is overdue for an update, just based on how "unsmooth" it is compared to the K.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:44 pm

A DC Metanium programed to throw BFS style lures. Add on SV style spool and a titanium nitride coated T-Wing style line guide. Might as well throw in some MAGSEAL bearings for the salt/dust guys. Aluminum housing and frame, micro moduled brass gears and a swept carbon 90mm handle. Clicking drag and adjustments. Bring it in at less than 6.5 oz. Might as well slather it in X-shield and X-Protect

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:52 pm

I think that TW video was shot early this year along with all the other TW videos featuring Lintner and Davis. I think the reel they were referring to is the Ald MGL which hadn't been released until ICAST. I could be wrong though.

I noticed the Tackle Trap is dumping a lot of the remaining stock of Exprides at good prices so I wonder if there will be a remodel for them. They're also dumping Zodias and Curado rods, the latter is somewhat puzzling to me considering they're a new series.

Shimano should bring back the Poison Adrena to North America. I'm also all for a CU70 MGL with MM gears. More of a work horse finesse oriented reel vs. the Ald MGL but I feel they are almost too similar for Shimano to create such a reel. Maybe just a CU70 with MM at a similar price point to the CU70 is more realistic.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:08 pm

core 71 please

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm

I want to see a new frame. This MGL addition to their old(er) reels is getting old. Its like Daiwa and their Tats spam :cry:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Mike son wrote:I think that TW video was shot early this year along with all the other TW videos featuring Lintner and Davis. I think the reel they were referring to is the Ald MGL which hadn't been released until ICAST. I could be wrong though.

I noticed the Tackle Trap is dumping a lot of the remaining stock of Exprides at good prices so I wonder if there will be a remodel for them. They're also dumping Zodias and Curado rods, the latter is somewhat puzzling to me considering they're a new series.

Shimano should bring back the Poison Adrena to North America. I'm also all for a CU70 MGL with MM gears. More of a work horse finesse oriented reel vs. the Ald MGL but I feel they are almost too similar for Shimano to create such a reel. Maybe just a CU70 with MM at a similar price point to the CU70 is more realistic.
I thought the same thing right after posting this earlier. Really embarrassed me, but then I realized, maybe they weren't talking about the Aldebaran MGL. This is supposed to refer to the Zodias "American BFS" rod, and the Aldebaran MGL should have been out by then. But either way, I don't know. Was very excited, because that video is very recent, but it also makes sense they could be simply speaking of the Aldebaran MGL. I hope they aren't and we get something new a cool. To reintroduce the Core as a Core MGL would be just... Damn...

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm hoping for a Calcutta conquest 200 with all the latest features for 199.99 :P

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 pm

in all seriousness, I wish they would start putting hook keepers on their high end JDM style rods. (eg zodias, expride etc)

its like buying a car without cruise control- I just cant do it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mike son wrote:I think that TW video was shot early this year along with all the other TW videos featuring Lintner and Davis. I think the reel they were referring to is the Ald MGL which hadn't been released until ICAST. I could be wrong though.

I thought the same thing right after posting this earlier. Really embarrassed me, but then I realized, maybe they weren't talking about the Aldebaran MGL. This is supposed to refer to the Zodias "American BFS" rod, and the Aldebaran MGL should have been out by then. But either way, I don't know. Was very excited, because that video is very recent, but it also makes sense they could be simply speaking of the Aldebaran MGL. I hope they aren't and we get something new a cool. To reintroduce the Core as a Core MGL would be just... Damn...

A core MGL,

The thought alone is marvelous!!!
I’d love to see one of those.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 pm

Probably never happen, but a 50 size Conquest would sell big time.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:Probably never happen, but a 50 size Conquest would sell big time.
Didn't that exist a while ago? Years ago that is... Think it was just a 100 with different spool capacity though. I watched that video again, not sure they are talking about the Aldebaran MGL. Trying to find a video I know for sure is before that one where they do mention it, that way I know the "secret" reel isn't just a revamped Aldy.