What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Would the Z1016 fans like it as an aluminum version of the T3 minus the hood? Of course have a 90mm handle and more solid all around.
I gotta say I'm surprised they haven't introduced that frame geometry into a different platform. Retrospectively, that may have been the best thing about that reel, besides the spool. It's super comfortable to palm and provides a secure grip. The gears are oriented more horizontally, which does away with the gearbox hanging off the side, getting in the way of your fingers wrapping around the bottom of the reel seat. Instead, there's a nice contour for your finger tips to rest. It feels more like a small round reel in that respect and works great with ACS reel seats, unlike most other reels. The alphas is kind of similar, but more due to its size than the angle of the gears.

Maybe they could mimic that side plate on a more traditional frame, make it out of magnesium, and call it a Pixy...
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Houndfish wrote:I am surprised at all the "z1016" talk, I was never under the impression that the z2020 was very popular.
It was a favorite with the enthusiast crowd around here, but there was a couple of general gripes that the mainstream angler never could get past. One was the weight. It was almost 10 oz. 2nd was the fact that it didnt have high line capacity given the heft of the reel. The theoretical 1016 version could be made a lot lighter and more compact, while still maintaining the rock-solid rigidity of the original. Then with a 1016 (or SV) spool coupled with Magforce 3D, it would be a flagship reel in every sense of the the word(and a lot more versatile for general-purpose use).
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
SSS wrote:The Tats are the Daiwa's virus :crying:
I imagine they are Daiwa's money makers.
Most likely are. No way they'd be so focused on one model for so many years in a row if that wasn't the case.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Houndfish wrote:I am surprised at all the "z1016" talk, I was never under the impression that the z2020 was very popular.
I don't think there's a single better preforming large reel on the market. Comfy to palm, stupidly long range caster and as smooth as they come. The only downside is the paint chipping away, but from what i fund out, the reason why it chips so easily is because the whole body of the reel is anodized to prevent corrosion in SW. Paint doesn't hold very well on an anodized surfaces.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm

SSS wrote:I don't think there's a single better preforming large reel on the market. Comfy to palm, stupidly long range caster and as smooth as they come. The only downside is the paint chipping away, but from what i fund out, the reason why it chips so easily is because the whole body of the reel is anodized to prevent corrosion in SW. Paint doesn't hold very well on an anodized surfaces.
hoohoorjoo wrote: It was a favorite with the enthusiast crowd around here, but there was a couple of general gripes that the mainstream angler never could get past. One was the weight. It was almost 10 oz. 2nd was the fact that it didnt have high line capacity given the heft of the reel. The theoretical 1016 version could be made a lot lighter and more compact, while still maintaining the rock-solid rigidity of the original. Then with a 1016 (or SV) spool coupled with force 3D, it would be a flagship reel in every sense of the the word(and a lot more versatile for general-purpose use).
This is the most I have seen written about the z2020 before. What lure range does it excel at?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:38 pm

I always assumed the demand for a "Z1016" was for there to be an aluminum framed Magforce 3D reel with a 1016 or 103 spool compatibility. Z1016 as opposed to "metal T3 that is not a T3 because I don't want a pop up hood or it to be snapped like a wedge". Is there really an appeal for the Z2020 shape but in a 1016 size? A Magforce 3D Steez A with brass gears would be less desirable than an actual Z1016?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Houndfish wrote:
SSS wrote:I don't think there's a single better preforming large reel on the market. Comfy to palm, stupidly long range caster and as smooth as they come. The only downside is the paint chipping away, but from what i fund out, the reason why it chips so easily is because the whole body of the reel is anodized to prevent corrosion in SW. Paint doesn't hold very well on an anodized surfaces.
hoohoorjoo wrote: It was a favorite with the enthusiast crowd around here, but there was a couple of general gripes that the mainstream angler never could get past. One was the weight. It was almost 10 oz. 2nd was the fact that it didnt have high line capacity given the heft of the reel. The theoretical 1016 version could be made a lot lighter and more compact, while still maintaining the rock-solid rigidity of the original. Then with a 1016 (or SV) spool coupled with force 3D, it would be a flagship reel in every sense of the the word(and a lot more versatile for general-purpose use).
This is the most I have seen written about the z2020 before. What lure range does it excel at?
TT did a whole review on it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 am

I have always figured an Alphas with an aluminum sideplate and maybe slightly bigger gears/gearbox would be a sledgehammer. My SV105 has been plenty tough. Still though a Z1016 would be amazing. A "Zillion" with the Steez A frame and brass gears would be cool though too.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 am

Houndfish wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote: It was a favorite with the enthusiast crowd around here, but there was a couple of general gripes that the mainstream angler never could get past. One was the weight. It was almost 10 oz. 2nd was the fact that it didnt have high line capacity given the heft of the reel. The theoretical 1016 version could be made a lot lighter and more compact, while still maintaining the rock-solid rigidity of the original. Then with a 1016 (or SV) spool coupled with Magforce 3D, it would be a flagship reel in every sense of the the word(and a lot more versatile for general-purpose use).
Anything 3/8 to 4+ oz would sail for me, mostly due to the awesome fine-tuning that the 3D cast control affords. Not sure if MF3D was cost-prohibitive to manufacture or there was some other reason, but it went away much too quickly imo.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am

LowRange wrote:I always assumed the demand for a "Z1016" was for there to be an aluminum framed Magforce 3D reel with a 1016 or 103 spool compatibility. Z1016 as opposed to "metal T3 that is not a T3 because I don't want a pop up hood or it to be snapped like a wedge". Is there really an appeal for the Z2020 shape but in a 1016 size? A Magforce 3D Steez A with brass gears would be less desirable than an actual Z1016?
If you look at the Z2020, it shares some of the angular lines and overall profile of the T3, probably due to that 3D braking assembly. So if hey went with the same theme/design, a Z-1016 would basically be an aluminum T3 without the up hood. I think Daiwa's engineers could likely make the palm plate more comfortable to palm than the T3, also. Of course, this is subjective, they could base it off the T3 or just design an entirely new reel. As long as it has 3D braking and an aluminum frame, I wouldn't mind the Tatula-style T-wing either. But the T-wing is a whole other debate lol! I'm take it or leave it. I have several reels with it and I really dont pay it any attention anymore. I think it is more a gimmick than offering any measureable casting distance improvement.....but thats just my personal opinion. Taking nothing from Shimano, Abu or any other brand, I still prefer Daiwa simply because of the excellent cast control by just clicking a dial, especially in windy conditions.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 am

I'd like to see a next gen pixy

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 am

Many writers above described Z1016. That sounds pretty appealing reel! Because in my opinion Z2020 is bigger reel than usually needed but still not big enough for biggest shads.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 pm

What are the chances we will see an update to the Zillion? New frame and get that brake dial recessed!

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:What are the chances we will see an update to the Zillion? New frame and get that brake dial recessed!
That's what I'd hope for. They seem to have done it on some of the JDM reels, and the Steez. I was disappointed that they didn't do it on the new Tatula. My only bugbear with the current Daiwa line up is that I frequently find the brake settings have changed accidentally when I'm palming the reel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 am

How about a compromise between a Z1016 and a new Zillion? Maybe a Zillion based on the Steez A trickling down with brass gears and Magforce 3D. I would also take the old Tatula/Zillion TWS in the 7.5 to 8 oz range trickling up with Magforce 3D, recessed mag dial, dual aluminum sideplates and various aesthetic treatments to the top of the frame like Zillion of old. I always thought the top of the frame on the old Tatula reels was very TD Zillion like. Let's bring that back.