What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm

timinmo wrote:You do know that if the price of ..... ah... gas that your local station sells, that is the price they have to buy it for, goes up. They don't wait until they have sold all the old gas they had previously to raise the price. They raise the price. That is the way it works for milk at the grocery or pants at the department store. It also works like that at the sporting goods store if the last shipment of reels costs more than the previous ones all the prices go up. We may not like it but that is how it works.
I get that part, just seems that $50 is a hefty jump and it seems with all the knowledge here someone might have some insight. I do get what you mean though about selling stocks, Tacklewarehouse is one of the biggest retailers so they should sell out first (of the initial priced reels) therefore being the first to show the new price.

Also just noticed the Fuego CT is $110??? Is that new???

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Why is it going up? No idea, but the latest price list from Daiwa shows a price increase. Any dealer who is going to order new reels will pay the higher price. I have no idea if this was/is across the board or just on the Steez. I really don't have any great inside information just was told that the prices on the Steez was going up and the price of the new Steez, which I already posted.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Maybe for reels made in Japan price goes up....shimano reels on tackle warehouse seem not to have price increases, at least aldebaran and methanium have same price as much as i remember

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:03 pm

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=80088

Posted this a while back. Both Daiwa and Shimano announced price increases for the new year. Obviously individual sellers will do what they will over and above the stated amount.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:40 pm

What really makes no sense is that finesse oriented reels don't sell well in the States. It's not like Daiwa doesn't know this.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:What really makes no sense is that finesse oriented reels don't sell well in the States. It's not like Daiwa doesn't know this.
They might as well make some money on the few they do sell then I suppose.......

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Tariffs. Yen exchange rate. Raw materials expenses. Capacity constraints. Lots of reasons for price increases.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Does it seem "funny" to anyone else that the new Daiwa has the brake control on the bottom and the new Shimano has the control on the side plate. Makes no difference just seems like things came full circle. Well would like to see and handle all them. Wish both manufacturers would send more of their rods state side. I find it hard to purchase a high end rod without handling it. Was hoping for more reports from the Japan tackle show. Maybe they are coming.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 am

I can understand a $50 price jump on things, but still cant wrap my head around the 100-200 dollar up charge for buying the same reel in the US vs direct from Japan.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:02 am

toporanger wrote:I can understand a $50 price jump on things, but still cant wrap my head around the 100-200 dollar up charge for buying the same reel in the US vs direct from Japan.
Customs and tax difference. US importer has to pay, but you may get away with it.
If US customs were more strict (as in most of EU), you would pay more for importing a reel from Japan.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:13 am

This won't last. Supply and demand makes this go up I know, but I don't see people picking up more and more with the prices increasing. Fishing is my one hobby, I don't make enough to have a huge nice boat, depth finder, etc., but I do get enough to enjoy a few premium products. This increase would just have me search harder for better deals (which are always bound to come a year or so after things don't sell well) or just spend more on parts and modify current equipment.

I know I don't speak for everyone, plenty of people can just spend whatever, but I know I do speak for a portion of anglers, and that portion won't go as well with the price jump. If it really was just 2 percent or so it wouldn't be a big deal, but $50 more on my Steez A's price would have probably just had me go with a ZPI spool for a Zillion SV TW or another mid tier reel.

This also happens in the car market and more people wait till the current models are "old" or go down in price and still get the deal they want. I was really hoping the new Steez CT SV would make the current model cheaper, but I guess that isn't the case. Hopefully importing will still be the way around this.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:31 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Word is, US price on the Steez CT SV 70 will be 699 bucks. No thanks. 472 bucks on Digitaka

So who exactly is your source for "Word is"? All this hubbub over a $699 US price that does not and will not exist. I'll still buy from a JDM source regardless, but I've got to call fake news when I see it.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 am

I hope it's not going to be $700 since there is no improvements on current SV TW other than size plus Daiwa Japan MSRP price on CT is lower than current SV TW by about 800yen.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 am

Who even buys high end in the states? Reels are not rods, they're very easy to repair (not that they even break to begin with) so the warranty you'd get from TW is really pointless

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:49 am

SSS wrote:Who even buys high end in the states? Reels are not rods, they're very easy to repair (not that they even break to begin with) so the warranty you'd get from TW is really pointless
This is very true. Plus, the reels that are JDM are usually better looking anyways. Hell, I sourced a JDM Tatula SV just because of the Titanium line guide. :lol:
<")))><{