What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by Obz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:44 pm

I wish they would do something different with their handles. I don't like that hollowed out look. I bent one of my sv105 handles got a zillion limited handle to replace it.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am

poisonokie wrote:Plat has preorder for the alphas for ~$256. Not that bad! I see one in my future, I think.
I just purchased a Alphas from Japan Lure Shop $255 shipped, looking forward to fishing it soon.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Im glad they're keeping the og Millionaire frame. This frame needs no changes nor did the original Ryoga

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:37 am

Made some calls today, all I got when asking about the status of the Zillion SV TW being discontinued was "it seems that way". About 3 different sources stated it pretty much the same way.

Also was told the Steez CT would be unreal priced in the US. The Alphas CT might not even come stateside, no idea on price if it does. Was just told "high". I asked about a new Zillion coming, and as I thought, they said it is hard to imagine a model that famous disappearing for them. Said technically the Zillion SV TW isn't cancelled yet though. Overall I just got that Daiwa has been quiet and no one was sure what to expect or not to expect leading up to the BM Classic and even ICAST 2019.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:24 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Made some calls today, all I got when asking about the status of the Zillion SV TW being discontinued was "it seems that way". About 3 different sources stated it pretty much the same way.

Also was told the Steez CT would be unreal priced in the US. The Alphas CT might not even come stateside, no idea on price if it does. Was just told "high". I asked about a new Zillion coming, and as I thought, they said it is hard to imagine a model that famous disappearing for them. Said technically the Zillion SV TW isn't cancelled yet though. Overall I just got that Daiwa has been quiet and no one was sure what to expect or not to expect leading up to the BM Classic and even ICAST 2019.
I'm sure once the 3 new jdm reels are officially released, we can expect to start seeing some more Project T videos for the USDM market. Zillion likely included.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 am

SSS wrote:I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016

Hello? I want a Z1016! Would prefer a Magnesium model with brass gears weighting no more than 6.5oz. And i don't want a T wing on it. Leave the sexy looking frame as is.

Shimano gave you the bantam
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Made some calls today, all I got when asking about the status of the Zillion SV TW being discontinued was "it seems that way". About 3 different sources stated it pretty much the same way.

I'm sure once the 3 new jdm reels are officially released, we can expect to start seeing some more Project T videos for the USDM market. Zillion likely included.
Do you think the potential new Zillion will be hit with the price increases? Seems to only affect Japanese made Daiwa reels so far. I kinda wish the Zillion would start being made in Japan again though. Maybe like a Steez A with Zaion sideplates and brass gears, so a hybrid of the new Tatula 100 and a Steez A with an SV spool. Do the Steez A and Tatula 100 frames match as far as ergonomics go or are they slightly different (not including obvious like brake dial)???

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Do you think the potential new Zillion will be hit with the price increases? Seems to only affect Japanese made Daiwa reels so far. I kinda wish the Zillion would start being made in Japan again though. Maybe like a Steez A with Zaion sideplates and brass gears, so a hybrid of the new Tatula 100 and a Steez A with an SV spool. Do the Steez A and Tatula 100 frames match as far as ergonomics go or are they slightly different (not including obvious like brake dial)???
I'm against the idea of Steezing up the Zillion. They can Steez up the Morethan all they want, but the Zillion should remain a distinct platform. I like it better. If they would make a Zillion AIR, I'd be all over that sh--! Personally, I'd rather see a magnesium frame/side plate version of the current model with hybrid gears and let it be called the Z.
This is the way.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

They are different.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:22 pm

poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

I'm against the idea of Steezing up the Zillion. They can Steez up the Morethan all they want, but the Zillion should remain a distinct platform. I like it better. If they would make a Zillion AIR, I'd be all over that sh--! Personally, I'd rather see a magnesium frame/side plate version of the current model with hybrid gears and let it be called the Z.
That would work for me. I still would like to see the SV103 return, with a G1 spool and maybe trickle down the Hyper Mesh gears. Just something different. I personally don't hate the T-wing, but personally I think the non-disengaging levelwind of the SV105/Alphas SV is a cooler feature. I cannot even begin to imagine what will take the Zillion SV TW's place, but it for sure has been a while since an update, and as it stands now there will be a gap between $150-200 Daiwa's up till $450 (or $500-550 now) priced Daiwa's. Don't see myself interested in the Steez CT at around $700 if that ends up true...

Now if Daiwa decides to use the new Steez CT frame, but use an aluminum/Zaion configuration like the current Zillion I will be happy. They could even add $50 to make it match the Bantam MGL price and I would be all over it. In fact, that might be a logical wish that could possibly happen, other than them wanting to keep the $700 Steez frame size exclusive to that reel alone.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine bud.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:06 am

goldrod wrote:
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016

Hello? I want a Z1016! Would prefer a Magnesium model with brass gears weighting no more than 6.5oz. And i don't want a T wing on it. Leave the sexy looking frame as is.

No 3D brakes. Centrifugal brakes. Line guide too close to the spool making it a meh caster (from what i've heard that is). And most importantly above everything else, it doesn't support the steez 34mm spools which is a must for me because i swap spools a ton.

Bantam is not an answer :(

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:22 am

SSS wrote:
goldrod wrote:
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016

No 3D brakes. Centrifugal brakes. Line guide too close to the spool making it a meh caster (from what i've heard that is). And most importantly above everything else, it doesn't support the steez 34mm spools which is a must for me because i swap spools a ton.

Bantam is not an answer :(
The Bantam is a quality reel...and thats coming from a Daiwa guy. I think the line guide is kinda a moot point because the heavier lures somewhat negate the friction.

Now, if the Z1016 you speak of comes about, that will be nice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Daiwa has to be aware of how popular swapping a 1016 sv spool in the steez a is. You'd think they'd just make one. I am also a huge zillion sv tw fan. I had several OG zillions in the day, and I think the current model is superior in every way. Id be all over an air metal zillion sv @ around $399.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:05 pm

KP Duty wrote:Daiwa has to be aware of how popular swapping a 1016 sv spool in the steez a is. You'd think they'd just make one. I am also a huge zillion sv tw fan. I had several OG zillions in the day, and I think the current model is superior in every way. Id be all over an air metal zillion sv @ around $399.
Word up!
This is the way.